Brewer Fanatic

Brewers pass 2.4 million in ticket sales

Paul77

Thats the second highest total ever. Very nice. The Brewers have already sold out 5 games on the 10 game home stand that begins tonight.

Things are about to get fun in Milwaukee! If the Crew keeps winning, this is going to be a very hard ticket to come by.

Js Online article

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

this team is making money hand over fist this season, and i would that means we can bring in a marquee player in the next few weeks if the right situation presents itself. The payroll is moderately low because most of the talent doing the most damage is not making a lot this season.

I remember Mark Attanasio saying that breaking even would be a 'fun challenge' with the $70 million payroll. It looks like the team's doing well with that challenge.

I'd love to see this team break its attendance record. Right now, per-game average is below 2001. But you have to consider that there's 'statistical noise' to consider because of differences in the way dates are spread out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

this team is making money hand over fist this season, and i would that means we can bring in a marquee player in the next few weeks if the right situation presents itself.

This is just not true. The way the team makes enough money to bring in top notch free agents is through tv contracts and advertisment....and in this market, we will never even come close to capitalizing on that area compared to bigger market teams. Extra fans in the seats is great, but in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't make that much off a difference financially.

Balancing patrickgpe's and BCU's statements, my guess is that the team is probably 'covering' the increased payroll, but isn't necessarily positioning itself for a 'huge' increase next year. (I'm thinking of works like 'huge', marginal, etc. as totally relative, of course; define those terms any way you like http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif)

what i meant to say is that they are doing better than in past years. I know its not the Yankees and YES. It does say though that they are selling more concessions, merchandise and tickets. That is making up for the increased payroll.

Great for the Crew.

This is may sound silly, but the one thing that playing franchise mode in all my sports games has taught is that concessions/parking/ticket revenue while great, is really just a drop in the bucket, especially in the NFL. The the TV contract brings in the majority of the revenue. Even if Miller Park was sold out for all home games, we'd likely never see a payroll over 90 mil, it's just not feasible IMHO.

However, MLB it is considerably different than the NFL because the average ticket price is about 1/3 less but they have 8 times as many regular season home dates to make up the revenue in different ways. I could rant all day about the lame econonmics of baseball, but I'll leave it as baseball's economic and draft system sucks. The main difference between Milwaukee and the large market clubs will be marketing and the TV contracts. Players will always have more opportunity to make side money in the large markets, and large markets will always have a financial edge because of their TV contracts.

Does anyone remember the HBO series "When it Was a Game"? about baseball from '35-'50? I DVR'd it after not seeing it for about ten years last weekend. One point I caught that I had missed in the past was they were talking about the smaller market teams having competitive issues back then. The owner would be $300-500,000 in the hole for team expenses from the preceding year and would have to sell his best players away to be able to keep the franchise going. He'd even out the books and pay off all debts, only to have the scenario repeat itself. It really struck me how we've come back full circle.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

With the youth on the team for '08, I would not be surprised at all to see a FA LF brought in, and/or a couple relievers.

3 mil is doable, as they look like they will do 2.7M building off a disappointing '06. If this team hits the playoffs, season tiks might get back near the '01 level, and all others will expand as well.

Quote:
With the youth on the team for '08, I would not be surprised at all to see a FA LF brought in, and/or a couple relievers.
Keep in mind that JJ, Capuano and I believe Estrada are eligible for arbitration next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Keep in mind that JJ, Capuano and I believe Estrada are eligible for arbitration next year.

Also, Vargas, Mench, Shouse, and Wise if they are around. And big decisions on Jenkins and Cordero. But they can save $9+ million when Koskie, Graffy, Miller and Dessens come off the books. If everyone gets arby and either Jenkins or Cordero is resigned, payroll is probably at $70 for next year.

Change the logo full time to the old MB ball & glove logo. I bet merchandise sales would double. Everyone I know loves that logo, even non-baseball fans.

Then perhaps we could get a national following as the little guys taking it to the big guys. Everyone understatnds that we can only shell out about a third of what the Bankees shell out to build a winning franchise. That storyline could sell.

I believe revenue for merchandise sold outside of stadium premises is shared equally among the 30 teams and players' association. I also believe the NFL has a similar policy.

Archived