Brewer Fanatic

Thornburg sent to Nashville, McClendon recalled

markedman5
I don't mind it. McClendon's last stand. He's had a couple chances. Let's take a longer look, either he's good or he's not. Just one more guy to take a look at and see if he could fit in next year. I want to see a parade of guys coming through these last two months, this is just one more trial by fire.

I'd like to see them stick Estrada back in the bullpen and bring up Peralta to take his spot in the rotation. Now Peralta last started Thursday, so he'll have to wait another turn. But that makes the most sense to me. Then once Thornburg makes a start or two, I'd bring him up and send Wolf to the pen for the duration.
Estrada has been solid in the rotation. He's had literally one bad game and he's striking out over a batter an inning. Taking him out of the rotation wouldn't exactly be fair to him. He's earned the right to keep that spot.

If anyone in the current rotation should go back to the pen, it's Wolf (like you also mentioned).

Thornburg shouldnt be brought back up until 2013. he needs to just finish the rest of the year in AAA and get back into a groove. there are other rotation arms who can be brought up like Peralta and hell, even Vargas for all I care at this point... but Thornburg's schedule is all out of whack... what benefit is it going to be for him to come back in 3 weeks and sit in the pen/bench and only pitch a couple of innings every now and then>?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

and he should start and stay in AAA next year, too. unless his spring training performance is out of this world, there is no reason why he should just basically skip AAA into the majors. the few outings he has had in milwaukee have been mediocre, he could benefit from half a year or even a full year in AAA. the jump from AAA to MLB is big as it is, but AA to MLB is really difficult.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Thornburg shouldnt be brought back up until 2013. he needs to just finish the rest of the year in AAA and get back into a groove. there are other rotation arms who can be brought up like Peralta and hell, even Vargas for all I care at this point... but Thornburg's schedule is all out of whack... what benefit is it going to be for him to come back in 3 weeks and sit in the pen/bench and only pitch a couple of innings every now and then>?

It would seem to me they pitch him in AAA until their season is over and then he comes up to get a couple of starts in September. They could even go to a six (edit) man rotation if Marcum would actually come back by throwing Wolf in the pen. And since Thornburg did have breaks during the middle of the summer, innings shouldn't be a problem for his arm.

AAA doesn't provide much more of a challenge than AA, and plenty of guys successfully make the jump from AA to MLB. Not saying I think Thornburg should be in the rotation from day one in 2013, but I will never agree with 'you must play at AAA before going to the majors'.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

really? maybe im not aware of them, but do you have any recent examples of pitchers who have made that jump without significant time in AAA?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

really? maybe im not aware of them, but do you have any recent examples of pitchers who have made that jump without significant time in AAA?

Johnny Cueto & Clayton Kershaw are two I found in less than 5 min. just checking Baseball-Reference's NL pitching leaderboard.

AAA doesn't provide much more of a challenge than AA.
It's still more of a challenge though. I see people throw that line around way too often.

People say that because on a lot of AAA teams you find journeymen minor leaguers, and MLB extras who are on the minor league AAA afiliate because there just isn't enough room on the MLB roster for them. The fact is AAA is a step above AA no matter how you swing it. Is it a significant step above? In some cases, no, not at all, but it's still better players/competition.

The top prospects generally jump from AA to the majors and skip over AAA completely. It seems like the once a guys masters AA baseball, teams deem them ready to play in the majors if they have a long term opening. They don't want to move this top prospect to AAA because they have their former major leaguer there in his position. They don't want to release the former major league player from their system in case they need him. Teams also want guys playing everyday, so that they are ready to come up when needed.

To me, Thornburg is an example of a guy who needs at least a half of season in AAA. The Brewers brought him up from AA and he struggled with the long ball. In AAA, he can go back and try and correct that problem against talent that is as close to MLB level as possible.

I didn't have an issue with Thornburg being brought up when he was, but after seeing what he's done so far, I think at least a half year of AAA is needed for fine tuning.

AAA doesn't provide much more of a challenge than AA.
It's still more of a challenge though. I see people throw that line around way too often.

If you re-read what you quoted from me, you'll see that I didn't dispute that it's more of a challenge. It's just a marginal one.

Johnny Cueto & Clayton Kershaw are two I found in less than 5 min. just checking Baseball-Reference's NL pitching leaderboard.

sorry, my place of employment likes to block websites on and off, so currently I cant access BR. easier to have you do it for me ;)

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I do believe that AAA has better/more mature talent than AA, I just think that is so marginal that it really isn't worth it to say that any player needs to spend time in AAA before they are ready for the majors. Now, we have to remember that Thornburg has only had 13 starts in AA as this was his first year at that level. I'm not saying that he is ready for the majors, but whether he is pitching in AA or AAA, the talent level he is facing isn't going to change that much. I think he needs at least the rest of the year in one of those two levels and if he performs well enough, he should be competing for the 4/5 spot in the rotation out of spring training. I would not ever let him be a RP again until he shows he cannot cut it as a starter.

As for some players who spent little or no time at AAA, i look at look at the top 100 prospects from 2007 and 2008 as a guide. These totals include any minor league rehab time as well, not just time before their initial call up.

Evan Longria - 44 Games

Justin Upton - 15 Games

Tim Lincecum - 5 Games

Troy Tulowitzki - 5 Games

Clayton Kershaw - 0 Games

Ryan Braun - 34 Games

Hunter Pence - 25 Games

Elvis Andrus - 0 Games

Joba Chamberlain - 3 Games

Jonathon Lucroy - 23 Games

Matt Wieters - 39 Games

David Price - 12 Games (4 before initial callup)

Johnny Cueto - 8 Games (4 before initial callup)

Sure, these are all bigger names, but I guess the point is that it isn't unheard of for it to happen if the big league club has a position of need that is open for the prospect to fill, which is what Thornburg was doing at the time.

Archived