Brewer Fanatic

Kottaras to Athletics for RP Fautino De Los Santos; Marcum to 60-day DL (Reply #64: FDLS claimed off waivers by SD)

patrickgpe
I'm fully expecting word soon that Marcum will be going under the knife. I've had a feeling for awhile that this thing is worse than they've been letting on, because no one this side of Teddy Higuera misses six weeks plus with 'discomfort'. Looks like another Sheets situation where they aren't even going to get a pick for him. I just hope that they've learned their lesson and don't play with fire in an attempt to keep the draft choice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fully expecting word soon that Marcum will be going under the knife. I've had a feeling for awhile that this thing is worse than they've been letting on, because no one this side of Teddy Higuera misses six weeks plus with 'discomfort'. Looks like another Sheets situation where they aren't even going to get a pick for him. I just hope that they've learned their lesson and don't play with fire in an attempt to keep the draft choice.

Or ever trade an elite, top prospect for 2 years of a soft tossing, good, but oft-injured veteran starting pitcher again.

Or ever trade an elite, top prospect for 2 years of a soft tossing, good, but oft-injured veteran starting pitcher again.

Not sure Marcum was really "oft injured".

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

TJ surgery, hip flexor injury mid-2011, then he really looked injured down the stretch... which I think may have carried over into this season. He may not have been "oft-injured" per se, but he's certainly a big injury question mark.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That's really bad news about Marcum. Is it a done deal that he's finished for the year? Because if so, that's a horrible blow, ensuring at least that we'll have to punt on the compensation pick.

Marcum had a bullpen session today that Roenicke said went really well, so I don't know where this talk of him getting surgery and being done for the year is coming from. The 60-day DL move was just the easiest move to make to clear a spot. He's eligible to be activated starting August 14, and by the time he's ready to be activated it'll be after that date anyway.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Does anyone think they will try to "Scott Hatteberg" Kottaras

I'm guessing Chris Carter's 1.000+ OPS since getting called up a month ago means he safely has the 1B job. I guess they could DH Kottaras, but it looks like Jonny Gomes & Seth Smith have done pretty well in a platoon role as DH. I think 'Georgeous' will probably just be their backup catcher & maybe spell Suzuki against some RHPs.

Marcum had a bullpen session today that Roenicke said went really well, so I don't know where this talk of him getting surgery and being done for the year is coming from. The 60-day DL move was just the easiest move to make to clear a spot. He's eligible to be activated starting August 14, and by the time he's ready to be activated it'll be after that date anyway.

'This talk' came from Marcum being out of commission since June 14th , and the most recent info I'd heard (was the RR comment you cited after today's game?) being that his most recent bullpen session hadn't gone well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To be fair, Kranitz made it a point to say after the Friday bullpen session that he wasn't shut down due to pain, that it had more to do with him being unable to get loose. Whether that's spin control or not is anyone's guess.

Does anyone think they will try to "Scott Hatteberg" Kottaras

I'm guessing Chris Carter's 1.000+ OPS since getting called up a month ago means he safely has the 1B job. I guess they could DH Kottaras, but it looks like Jonny Gomes & Seth Smith have done pretty well in a platoon role as DH. I think 'Georgeous' will probably just be their backup catcher & maybe spell Suzuki against some RHPs.

'This talk' came from Marcum being out of commission since June 14th , and the most recent info I'd heard (was the RR comment you cited after today's game?) being that his most recent bullpen session hadn't gone well.

It's right in here. He played catch yesterday, and threw a bullpen today.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/ramirez-fighting-sore-wrist-3469m0u-164220796.html

Marcum threw another bullpen session Sunday that Roenicke termed "really good."

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Verified Member
That is encouraging news on Marcum--although weren't there conflicting reports about a previous bullpen session, with RR claiming it went "really good" and McCalvy claiming it went bad? Still, just the fact that he is still throwing BPs leaves hope that he can recover fully without having surgery, in which case I'd love to bring him back on the cheap next year.

• 6 months later...

i don't understand why the brewers never gave de los santos a major league audition last year after acquiring him. they knew it was his final option year.

this move hurts players signed to minor league deals hoping to have their contracts purchased. de los santos wasn't expected to by most to make the club out of spring training, which would've removed him from the 40-man roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Four MLB teams have placed a player on the 60-day DL since camps opened, including the Yankees (A-Rod).

Initially I thought teams had to wait until ten days before the regular season, as I believe 15-day DL stints can be backdated to that point, with injured players able to return after the first week of action.

Had the Alex Gonzalez signing been announced about ten days later, the Brewers could have placed LHP Miguel De Los Santos (out at least until July with a shoulder injury) on the 60-day DL. Then, they would not have had to DFA RHP Fautino De Los Santos (acquired in the George Kottaras trade), and lose him to the Padres on waivers.

Regardless, if the Brewers want to add a waiver claim in the next week or two, it appears the 60-day DL option is available so as to avoid losing another of their own players.

I wasn't really happy about losing Fautino. I think he's at least Jose Veras who is better than the worst reliever that will make the team this year.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Had the Alex Gonzalez signing been announced about ten days later, the Brewers could have placed LHP Miguel De Los Santos (out at least until July with a shoulder injury) on the 60-day DL. Then, they would not have had to DFA RHP Fautino De Los Santos (acquired in the George Kottaras trade), and lose him to the Padres on waivers.

Regardless, if the Brewers want to add a waiver claim in the next week or two, it appears the 60-day DL option is available so as to avoid losing another of their own players.

that's good to know. hopefully the brewers knew that, too.

i would've signed gonzalez to a minor league deal with an opt-out clause that if he wasn't added to the 40-man roster by the opening of camp (when another player could be put on the 60-day), gonzalez would get a $5 million buyout and become a free agent.

the brewers, of course, would have no intention of paying him $5 million for nothing, so it would've essentially guaranteed that gonzalez got a major league contract for 2013.

Archived