Brewer Fanatic

Kottaras to Athletics for RP Fautino De Los Santos; Marcum to 60-day DL (Reply #64: FDLS claimed off waivers by SD)

patrickgpe
Verified Member

Wow, solid return for Kottaras (I was expecting cash considerations or something). BA #60 overall pre-2008, but it sounds like he had Tommy John surgery and has been trying to reestablish himself since.

Fangraphs had him #7 in the Athletics organization pre-2011:

One of the key players in the Nick Swisher trade with the White Sox, De Los Santos made just five starts with Oakland’s system in ’08 before going down with a major injury. He returned in ’09 to make seven rehab starts in rookie ball and he showed his fastball of old, but his secondary pitches are still being worked back in. The right-hander has the potential of a No. 2 starter if he can harness his breaking ball and change-up but he could also develop into a dominating reliever. We’ll know a lot more about De Los Santos’ potential as the season progresses. If healthy, he should opened the season in high-A ball.

John Sickels had him #5 pre-2011:

5) Fautino De Los Santos, RHP, Grade B-: Won't rank this highly on other prospect lists, but he's still got great stuff, and the 6.54 ERA at Midland was flukey. His FIP was 2.09.

Here's a write-up from John Sickels from last year: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/5/25/2189534/prospect-of-the-day-fautino-de-los-santos-rhp-oakland-athletics

At his best, De Los Santos uses a mid-90s fastball that can hit 98-99 on his best days. A starter earlier in his career, since moving to the bullpen he's concentrated on his slider at the expense of his curveball and changeup. The fastball/slider combination is overpowering, and when his command is working he profiles as a perfect major league closer. He's still refining his mechanics, and when they get out of whack his command slips. He's walked five in seven Triple-A innings, albeit with nine strikeouts and just three hits allowed. Those ratios match the scouting reports perfectly: great stuff, but wobbly command.

In the short run, he's most likely to see major league action in a short relief role, but in the long run he has a decent chance to get a shot as a closer if the command improves even a little. Now that he's proven his health, it is all a matter of throwing strikes.

And Baseball America gave him Best Fastball in the organization pre-2011 (and projected 2015 closer pre-2012).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a surprisingly good return. His AAA BABIP this season is .423 so that's a huge factor in the ~7 ERA. His peripherals over the last two seasons are pretty solid (55 IP, 64K:28BB, 2 HR). Obviously needs some work on the control. PitchFX says he throws a 96MPH 4-seamer, a 84MPH slider, and a 89MPH change.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in MLB at this point. But, if the club thinks it would be better for him to work on some stuff in AAA I'd trust them with that. Service time obviously isn't a concern with a 26 year old reliever, so that's one less thing for us to argue about ;).

The more I read about him, the more surprised I am we were able to get him for Kottaras. Perfect type of trade for a guy like Kottaras - a high upside but definitely bust possibility type player. I am much happier with this than a AAA starter who has a serviceable ERA but weak peripherals - that is what I thought we would get

Oakland is also really good place for Kottaras to land, and with how he performed in Milwaukee over the past three years he deserved a chance to get some playing time in MLB. Oakland catchers this season are hitting about .200/.250/.300, so Kottaras is a really good addition for him, even if he struggles defensively.

Getting a decent arm back (at least based on potential) in return for Kottaras is pretty huge. I have to think some other teams were interested and there was a small bidding war. I was expecting a washed up minor league reliever or something along those lines.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It has never seemed more like DM was reading this forum before he made trades. High upside prospects for Greinke, a ss and two sp's; a high-upside (if older) reliever for Kottaras. This seems like exactly what the majority of posters here were hoping for, and almost everyone appears to be happy with both deals. It's kind of weird. The only thing he could do now to make us happier is get some kind of value for about another third or so of the 25-man roster.

From what I've seen, this guy can't be worse than Veras. I'd be happy if they could move him in the next couple of days... I don't care what they get back.

Even if he's as bad as Veras he'll be about 20% as expensive.

Well the arm sounds great... but for whatever reason, De Los Santos gave up a lot of hits in the minors. Aside from low-A ball, he gave up roughly one hit per IP at every level. And this season at AAA, it's 49 H in 36 IP.

I agree this is a good return on Kottaras, but I'm interested to see why De Los Santos was hit so much with a FB/SL combo that John Sickels called "overpowering" as recently as last season (Sickels doesn't toss compliments around lightly).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well the arm sounds great... but for whatever reason, De Los Santos gave up a lot of hits in the minors. Aside from low-A ball, he gave up roughly one hit per IP at every level. And this season at AAA, it's 49 H in 36 IP.

I didn't do the math, but it looks like his career MiLB BABIP is ~.375 or so since joining the A's in 2008 in about 150 IP. Not sure if he's had horrendous defense behind him, it's just a product of having only 150 IP or so, or if there's something more to it.

I never understood why some people thought Kottaras had no value. Catchers with some pop in their bat who carry a high on base percentage have value. This is a good return for him, but I think it's deserved.

Archived