Brewer Fanatic

Kottaras to Athletics for RP Fautino De Los Santos; Marcum to 60-day DL (Reply #64: FDLS claimed off waivers by SD)

patrickgpe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We signed Quintero to a minor league deal as well

I'm assuming Humberto Quintero. Not bad for a depth pickup in a season like this, he plays pretty good defense and will be a good guy to have in AAA working with our prospects.

Any idea of the return for Kottaras?

haha, okay, seriously we might be lucky to be bringing back a play in this deal. If melvin does that would be pretty impressive. Drew Michael Granier was their 32nd round pick last year and is having a nice season in low A, maybe we could get someone like that. I have no idea, Kottaras cant be worth anything....

Quintero was likely available because of a racially insensitive gesture

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bruce-chen-interview-interrupted-teammate-humberto-quintero-making-153142438--mlb.html

My guess is a guy such as Jorge Bonifacio from Kane County....a guy several levels down with some skill....I will be disappointed if we get a stiff back for a decent player with worth like Georgie.

this would be a good get. I dont know their system well enough to know the answer, but maybe they have an eric arnett type or two lying around. That would be worth George in my opinion, and would be worth the brewers taking a shot on.

What's the point in trading Kottaras and signing Quintero? Why not just keep Kottaras and send him to AAA? Although I think Ishikawa should've been the one DFA'd in the first place, but that's beside the point.

I think it's pretty clear that Melvin felt they'd lose Kottaras for nothing if they DFA'd him. I also think that Martin Maldonado reminded the Brewers just how bad Kottaras is defensively... well, that & the fact that Maldonado has shown an ability to hit well enough to justify being a big-leaguer.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

you can trade him because his bat has power, so why not? I also think that the organization really liked George and wanted to get him a big league job. Signing Quintero also helps the brewers position to trade him as they have just taken an available competing option off the market.

Verified Member
Quintero was likely available because of a racially insensitive gesture

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/bruce-chen-interview-interrupted-teammate-humberto-quintero-making-153142438--mlb.html

My guess is a guy such as Jorge Bonifacio from Kane County....a guy several levels down with some skill....I will be disappointed if we get a stiff back for a decent player with worth like Georgie.

Does George really have that much more value than the best unsigned free agent catcher out there? (If the best unsigned FA catcher is Wil Nieves I'll accept that he does!)

Hmm.. I'll take it. BA had Santos pegged the A's closer in 2015. Fastball can reach triple digits, hard slider, below average changeup. Strikes out over 11 per 9 in the minors and majors but has some control issues. He turned 26 in March.

Tons of potential.

In 2008 he was ranked #60 according to baseball-reference. Lot of strikeouts. A potential bullpen arm for a catcher that was number 3 on our depth chart going forward. I will take that.

will he take GK's spot on the 40-man? or was that already filled?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived