Brewer Fanatic

2012-07-29 Nationals (Gonzalez) at Brewers (Rogers), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 11-10, 11 innings. Yes, it was the bullpen]

Rogers looks pretty good

Love hearing the talk from BA & Rock about Lucroy someday maybe moving to another position (pure speculation on their part but would they even say that if someone from the Brewers hadn't discussed it with them?).... let Maldonado start 4 out of 5 days!

Someone asked Lucroy about this and he said he would be terrible at any other position. Said he hasnt played another position since grade school

I'm sure he could learn 1B. His value would be a fraction of what it is now, though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodgers looks like a hard throwing reliever with little command. He rarely hits where Lucroy sets up. That said, 3+ innings tells us little. The guys that have been following him during his minor league career can tell you a lot more than one start can.

You can tell all of that from a commercial?

It's weird that BA & Rock brought up the Joe Mauer comparison with Lucroy tonight (in terms of positional usage/days off from catching). Lucroy has been as healthy as it gets at catcher, is still young, and his bat doesn't exactly profile to be a plus at 1B or LF (the only other spots I could realistically see him manning). I really wish this topic wouldn't keep getting discussed, so I'm annoyed that BA & Rock brought it up again.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Someone asked Lucroy about this and he said he would be terrible at any other position. Said he hasnt played another position since grade school

He's being humble. I think Lucroy could be a .320 hitter year in and year out if he played RF or 2B or 3B

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Rogers looks pretty good

Love hearing the talk from BA & Rock about Lucroy someday maybe moving to another position (pure speculation on their part but would they even say that if someone from the Brewers hadn't discussed it with them?).... let Maldonado start 4 out of 5 days!

I'm sure he could learn 1B. His value would be a fraction of what it is now, though.

The whole dance at 1st base is going to be really interesting. The injuries to Gamel and Luc didn't end up hurting the team in the W/L cloumn this season IMO, but they did open up some perspectives. The Gamel injury (and then the fortunate-for-us tweak to Ishikawa) facilitated the great (and fully deserved anyway) look we've gotten at Aoki by opening a spot for Hart at 1st. And then Luc getting hurt gave us the great look at Maldonado. If only we could teach one of them to play SS.

I really wish this topic wouldn't keep getting discussed, so I'm annoyed that BA & Rock brought it up again.

I hear ya! I've been as guilty as anyone bringing it up in the forums, and gave it a rest until I heard BA & Rock talk about it. That said, I'll keep my comments about it to a minimum and in the "in-game" threads unless it becomes a serious topic discussed by Roenicke/Melvin in the media

I'm a big fan of Martin Maldonado and think his defense is a huge plus, enough so that moving Lucroy and keeping Lucroys bat in the lineup would be a good thing...but I'll give it a rest again, I promise!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Rodgers looks like a hard throwing reliever with little command. He rarely hits where Lucroy sets up. That said, 3+ innings tells us little. The guys that have been following him during his minor league career can tell you a lot more than one start can.

?

Whoa, sorry -- I didn't mean to aim that at any poster in specific.

Basically, the Brewers have an excellent catching duo for the next 6 seasons or so. If an Lucroy injury occurs, then I would totally understand examining perhaps moving him to 1B or LF. Until then, let's enjoy having one of the best catching tandems in the league!

?

Rodgers is the Packers QB. Rogers pitches for the Brewers.

for those who can't watch this game: Rogers just hung a curve ball that Harper should have hit for a HR but Harper was late and fouled it off....

and now Harper strikes out

Harper's swing looks really long today, he seems "off"

Whoa, sorry -- I didn't mean to aim that at any poster in specific.

No need to apologize! (and btw, that is the 2nd time you've apologized to me today about something where no apology is needed....its all good, you are the "Jedi", I'm a big fan of your posts here... don't worry about it)

And I did post about Lucroy to other positions too much... I'm learning to chill on that kind of stuff (I want Braun moved to 1B too but stopped posting about that, although if in a few years Khris Davis continues to rake and the only spot he can play is LF, well, then....)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rogers is hitting 98 with his fastball.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

for those who can't watch this game: Rogers just hung a curve ball that Harper should have hit for a HR but Harper was late and fouled it off....

and now Harper strikes out

Harper's swing looks really long today, he seems "off"

Harper has been sick, so he could still be feeling a little weak or rusty.

Rogers has hung a few curves today, but as Smoltz said, because the hitters have to respect his fastball, he's gotten away with some hangers. From the few innings I've watched, the Nats have definitely been behind or fooled by a number of fastballs.

If Rogers can just gain a little command, he has a chance to be very good.

If Rogers can just gain a little command, he has a chance to be very good.

I agree! Today's game is great to see. Hopefully Rogers can stay healthy and be a big part of the 2013 pitching staff

Bryce Harper has seen an extremely low amount of fastballs so far in his young career and there is a very good reason for it. He has really struggled to hit a curveball. Now he's still only 19 so he'll have plenty of time to learn how to hit one, but that problem doesn't "go away" in scouting reports.

Rogers is getting an unbelievable amount of swing/misses on his fastball.

It's just what he does. Seriously.

I understand why people are skeptical of prospects in general, & Mark specifically, but this guy is as legit a talent as you can get.

Archived