Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for Carlos Gomez

adambr2
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He has shown no improvement in 1500 PA."

"He's only 25, he still has time to improve."

"Of course he has time to improve but he has shown little or no improvement in 1500 PA. He should have shown at least a little improvement."

"He looked good for the last week."

"His wOBA has risen every year he was with the Brewers."

"Ummm...."

Fixed.

What are CarGo's 2 best assets? He's an excellent defender who is wicked fast on the basepaths. So instead of improving on the key tenant that makes use of one of those key assets (you can't steal first base), Carlos spends his time perfecting his power swing. *Sigh*

As much as I hate Juan Pierre, he is a great asset when he is getting on base at a 350 clip and running havoc on the bases. We have Juan Pierre talent in Carlos Gomez, but no clue that he needs to work on skills that allow him to get on base so that he can use that speed asset he was born with. Instead he keeps swinging for the fences. At some point maybe the little light will go on.......

I'm not sure that's right. Getting on base is a skill, just like hitting for power is a skill. Gomez seems to have some power and no batting eye. I know some guys improve their OBP as they develop, and Gomez probably isn't done developing. You may be right that he could improve his OBP if he decided to work on it. But I'm more inclined to think this is just what he is: a weird combination of useful but mismatched skills with a core of awfulness where his most important skill should be. The second coming of Laynce Nix.

TLB - Good points on his free agency and Boras being involved.

I think they should give CarGo the starts in August...see how he does at that point and then make a decision on Logan in September based on what CarGo has or hasn't done.

I understand CarGo has tons of at bats, etc and hasn't shown it yet...but I would feel terrible if we give up on him only to have him develop those skills somewhere else. If CarGo does well, you can maybe sign him to an extension or trade him in the off-season for something decent.

Side note...if we dump CarGo...how bad does that JJ Hardy trade look? I get we somewhat forced our hand there, but that will have to go down as one of the most recent worst trades for the Brewers (especially given our lack of a SS).

Side note...if we dump CarGo...how bad does that JJ Hardy trade look? I get we somewhat forced our hand there, but that will have to go down as one of the most recent worst trades for the Brewers (especially given our lack of a SS).

JJ has been horrible this season and wasn't very good for the Twins in 2010 either and makes a TON of money.

The improvement in his stat line is fairly consistent with a typical player development path. It could be fluky, but his base stealing has been looking better, people have been far more complimentary of watching his play this year. I think there is pretty good reason to look at this as his new talent level. Overall it is a fairly handy amount of talent, but not nearly irreplaceable. I'd still hesitate to call him a regular since his total value is not so far ahead of what other prospects could provide, I think it makes more sense developmentally to minimize the weakness of these mid range players while at the same time giving them enough playing time to show what they can do. If Gomez becomes the guy there are a lot fewer ABs to go around to other OFers. Gomez has always had the HR swing, but with him showing it more consistently he may start to see more walk opportunities, so while that remains a big hole in his game it may yet improve as well.

It seems like some people assume that Hardy is putting up good numbers without actually looking at his stats.

Count me in for playing Gomez every day to see how he responds these final 2 months.

Agree 100% with this. There is always this assumption that Hardy is some phenomenal player the Brewers traded away for nothing. Hardy has had some ups but at a very high cost and his bat hasn't played any better than Gomez at this point.

I'd play Gomez most of the way for this year and look to soft platoon him with Schaefer next year, letting Morgan go in the offseason. I've seen nothing out of Schaefer to convince me he is ready to be counted on as the full time guy in CF for the Brewers next year.

If put in the right spot in the lineup - the bottom - Gomez is a valuable everyday player. He brings elite OF defense with speed on the basepaths, and his OBP deficiency would be somewhat masked by hitting toward the bottom of the order.

The ideal scenario is that Weeks turns it around next season to hit in the #2 hole, with Aoki leading off. Gomez slides into the #7 or #8 spot in the lineup.

Aoki

Weeks

Braun

Ramirez

Hart/Gamel

Lucroy

SS

Gomez

P

The other option would be to trade him or continue a CF platoon with Gomez and Aoki, then plan to move Hart or Gamel to the OF next season.

Archived