Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for Carlos Gomez

adambr2

Carlos Gomez has quietly put together a fairly nice season -- while the .300 OBP is still certainly nothing to write home about, the .759 OPS is perfectly respectable for a centerfielder, and when combined with elite defense, would make him a pretty decent starter.

So has the time come to ride him out for the season and see if penciling him in as our every day CF'er is a possibility? I ask this mainly for two reasons -- 1) I'm pretty convinced at this point that Nyjer Morgan is not part of our future, and 2) Gomez is not really a platoon player in the true sense. This year and over his career, he shows no real preference or difference between facing right-handed or left-handed pitching.

He is miscast at the top of the order, I think, but if you are willing to live with his low OBP, I think he's fine further down in the order, where he could be a 15-20 HR and possibly a 40 SB threat as an everyday player. He's never going to carry a high OBP, but he IS improving, and the strong defense in CF helps make up for the poor OBP.

I'd even go a step further and say I'd be willing to offer him something like a 3 year, $11M dollar contract, buying out a couple years of free agency and at worst, giving us security in CF for a few years.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play him every day for the rest of this season in CF to see what he can do as a true everyday player.

Nothing to lose as I think Morgan is gone. If he puts up decent numbers from here on out, you can consider having him back, if he comes back down to earth (which is what I'm expecting, yet hoping against) you let him go.

3years at 11 million is a bit much though, 3 years 7-9 million, and I'm a possible buyer.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Well, we can get by with an Aoki/Gomez platoon next year, which might be exactly what we do. Aoki surely isn't going anywhere, and as much as I love Hart's defense at 1B, I would imagine they'll give Gamel the job back next year and stick Hart back in RF.

Schafer probably makes the roster next year, but only as a 4th OF'er, which is probably his career path.

Agreed. Morgan has given us all that he is going to give. Go-Go has those sexy tools that you just want him to figure out the bat. I would definitely like the Brewers to give him the CF reigns for the rest of the year and if he looks good to keep him around because of his athletic ability which may be matched by someone in the league but it's not exceeded.

As long as Morgan is on the team and you want to win games this season they should be in a straight platoon with Gomez being a late inning defensive replacement. As long as he in't in the top of the order I don't have much of a problem with him playing a lot. Realistically if Morgan wasn't completely inept(or at least as bad as Gomez) at hitting LHP, Gomez is a 4th/5th outfielder. His defense is elite but I don't think there is a big gap between elite defense and above average defense.

We keep hoping Gomez will put it to together but at this point I think he is what he is. A guy who has all the tools but only has plate discipline in short stretches here and there. Just enough to fool our manager into thinking he should bat in the top of the order. Just enough to give fans hope that he can improve.

I wouldn't give him a contract with Schafer in the minors.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Carlos Gomez has quietly put together a fairly nice season -- while the .300 OBP is still certainly nothing to write home about, the .759 OPS is perfectly respectable for a centerfielder, and when combined with elite defense, would make him a pretty decent starter.

I agree but the problem is, he's going to project to have less power next year but the same OBP. .300/.410 is a more reasonable projection for him next year. Even with elite defense, not sure that justifies him being an everyday starter at any price.

I agree but the problem is, he's going to project to have less power next year but the same OBP. .300/.410 is a more reasonable projection for him next year. Even with elite defense, not sure that justifies him being an everyday starter at any price.

Are you talking about the same guy? Gomez is 6'4" 210 pounds and generates tremendous bat speed. His power numbers are up because a. He's not attempting as many bunts, and b. he's centering the ball more often and c. he's been hitting in front of Braun. He's always had a ton of power potential. We're just getting a taste of it now as he matures as a hitter. If he played every day, I have no doubt he'd hit around 25 home runs. Oh he will never hit .300 or post a .370 OPB but I can live with power, speed and defense. The combo of Aoki and Gomez is a good one.

Are you talking about the same guy? Gomez is 6'4" 210 pounds and generates tremendous bat speed. His power numbers are up because a. He's not attempting as many bunts, and b. he's centering the ball more often and c. he's been hitting in front of Braun. He's always had a ton of power potential. We're just getting a taste of it now as he matures as a hitter. If he played every day, I have no doubt he'd hit around 25 home runs. Oh he will never hit .300 or post a .370 OPB but I can live with power, speed and defense. The combo of Aoki and Gomez is a good one.

Gomez isn't really bunting less because he rarely got his bunts fair.

I don't care much about SLG. I'm a fan of OBP. Given that Gomez's defense is marginally better than Morgan, I can't justify benching Morgan vs righties. His Obp skills are what is needed

Gomez isn't really bunting less because he rarely got his bunts fair.

I don't care much about SLG. I'm a fan of OBP. Given that Gomez's defense is marginally better than Morgan, I can't justify benching Morgan vs righties. His Obp skills are what is needed

I dont think you understand what the term marginally means. Gomez's arm along makes him a vastly superior outfielder. When you combine that with his better route running and over all feel for the position, Gomez is well above Morgan. That would be like saying Greinke is only marginally better then Wolf.

I think you are placing to much value on defense. It isn't very often the difference in their arm strength will actually make a difference. Morgan grades out as well above average on defense. Good enough that his offense against RHP more than makes up for the difference on defense.

I blame Wang.

I think the Brewers have quietly been playing Gomez more often against RH starters already. I think it is the right move. I think Gomez's defense is more than marginally superior to than Morgan. Morgan more than likely has no future with the team. I agree he should play everyday and see what he does. I admit I kind of root for him and want him to do well. I have a baseball crush on his defense and power possibilities. I want him signed to a cheap three year deal as well.

Its hard not to root for Gogo because with all of that still raw talent he could be a difference maker. I doubt he will ever be that, but man, if he ever even half way put it together that brewers would have an above average player at a premium position. A high slugging percentage up the middle is more valuable than some of you are making it out to be. Gomez has all the tools of Drew Stubbs if not more (better D). Stubbs is the starting centerfielder and 1 or 2 hitter (depending on the day) of the FIRST place Reds. playing guys like this infront of elite hitters plays up to their free swinging natures because they will see more good pitches to hit, its not as bad of a plan as its made out to be.

[pre]g ab r h 2b 3b hr rbi bb k sb cs avg. obp. slg. ops. Age

81 301 49 68 12 1 10 29 28 90 20 5 .226 .294 .372 .666 27 Stubbs

75 198 35 49 9 4 8 26 12 48 18 4 .247 .299 .455 .754 26 Gomez[/pre]

Which would you take?? I would take Gomez, I agree, for the rest of the season he should be starting everyday. At this point, where they are and Greinke gone, I can see no reason he doesnt start everyday.

man this board will not take my spacing on the stat lines... try and decipher, sorry.

Fixed. :)

Stats are best laid out between the

[pre][/pre]

tags. There's a button available above the post editor. Spaces between the numbers work better than tabs.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I still try to remember that he was rushed to the bigs and was the big prospect in the johan santana deal... either way, hes a guy that can help a team win so why not trade morgan and let him play. And, if the Brewers have already determined that he absolutely cannot be the everyday guy, trade him and call up Schafer and let him play every day.

If there is one thing that drives me crazy about the brewers is that even when we been out of it (09' 10') they couldnt find a way to give younger guys consistent at bats. I dont see how you can know what a guy like Bianchi or Green could do for you playing sporadically. Yes, Greens situation is obviously a little different, but Gomez or Schafer should be every day for the rest of the season, same with Bianchi, or at least long enough to determine that they have failed.

You forget he's 25, too.

It gets brought up every time there is a Gomez discussion.

"He has shown no improvement in 1500 PA."

"He's only 25, he still has time to improve."

"Of course he has time to improve but he has shown little or no improvement in 1500 PA. He should have shown at least a little improvement."

"He looked good for the last week."

Sure the guy can improve and he is still pretty young and maybe even rushed to the big leagues. He looks like he is hitting the ball harder. Maybe a tick better plate discipline. Not much to say we should expect him to get much better. Hell I hope he gets better for my own sanity because our manager seems to think he should hit in the top of the order despite his general lack of ability to hit.

I blame Wang.

Archived