Brewer Fanatic

For or against re-signing Marcum?

adambr2
I know this wasnt an option, but id rather offer marcum arbitration and take a risk with him than pick up Wolf's option.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'd probably offer him arbitration, but it is definitely a risk. The fact that it's only one year though makes it ok. I wouldn't even consider offering him a multi-year contract though, and I doubt Melvin will either. The fact that he didn't even consider talking about an extension with Marcum before this season is pretty telling. Never know though I guess. I think we'll target a different free agent pitcher who is more durable.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I really like the thought of bringing him back on a one-year deal, as he could help next year's team and we could flip him at the deadline if he's healthy and we're not in the race. As to a multi-year deal, I couldn't say until all the options are on the table. We may still trade Hart/Ramirez for a pitcher, we don't know who else will be on the FA market, etc. That said, if Hardricourt's tweet about the potential one-year deal is correct, then it is because Marcum knows he won't get much in a multi-year deal until he proves he can play injury-free. If we got him on a lowball deal (8/$24 or something) then it'd be hard to pass up.

Sometimes typos are funny. I meant 1-year/$8MM or 3-years/$24MM. Not 8-years / $24MM.

Marcum knows he's probably only got one chance at a multi-year deal, and he knows that teams are going to balk at signing him to a big money deal after missing time this year due to "elbow stiffness." I really think we could get him on a one-year deal for significantly less than the $12MM qualifying offer, so I'd sign him to the one-year incentive-laden deal. Little risk to the Brewers and a lot of potential gain. He'd be a good fit in the rotation, and if we're out of it at the deadline he ought to be able to be traded for a decent return.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think a number of teams would offer Marcum a one-year incentive deal, which is why i'd offer arbitration to him to at least get return if he does find a team who wants to give him more.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The minimum deal we would have to offer Marcum is around $12 Million right? There is no way he would turn that down to take an incentive laden deal anywhere else. At this point I don't think Melvin would dare risk that but I am sure he would open to bringing him back at a much lower price. At this point Marcum could be a big time value sign in the offseason assuming he can get healthy again.

At this point, I'm leaning against re-signing or even tendering Marcum. Time is running short this season, and probably the best case scenario for him at this point is to get back in time to make 8 starts or so.... he's going to have to look really good for me to want to take that risk.

At this point, I'm leaning against re-signing or even tendering Marcum. Time is running short this season, and probably the best case scenario for him at this point is to get back in time to make 8 starts or so.... he's going to have to look really good for me to want to take that risk.

I agree with this. Unless he comes back right when he's eligible and can put up a low 3's ERA for the rest of the year, I wouldn't make the qualifying offer. If the best case scenario happens, then I'd probably go with the qualifying offer. If not, either offer a 1 year deal at a lower price or let him go.

Archived