Brewer Fanatic

For or against re-signing Marcum?

adambr2

Now that Greinke is gone, it still remains to be seen what the Brewers will do with Marcum. He's sure to be a much cheaper alternative to Greinke. That's not to say he won't be pricey, though the somewhat shaky injury history of Marcum does bring his value down a bit. I would peg his FA value right now to be at about 3 years, $33M, but that's just a guess on my part.

It's affordable, but would it be worth it? Suppose it depends on whether we believe Marcum can be effective for another 3 years. If so, you still have Gallardo/Marcum/Fiers at the top of your rotation going forward, and have a ton of possibilities in the last two spots (Peralta, Thornburg, Estrada, Narveson, Hellweg, Rogers...plus more soon to come like Bradley, Jungmann, Nelson, etc). There really is a lot of minor league pitching talent in this system to the point, so it's just a matter of seeing what pans out.

The other option is to make Marcum a 1 year qualifying offer for $13 million or so to try to lock in draft pick compensation. It's hard to say whether or not Marcum would accept -- most likely depends on his performance these last two months. It's probably an overpayment, but Marcum probably has only one shot left at a multi-year deal, and I'm not sure he would want to pass that up.

I think you can count on Peralta in the rotation next year. Gallardo/Marcum/Fiers/Peralta/Estrada would be an okay rotation, but it's a lot of "ifs" from being a really good one.

I'm in love with the idea of Marcum signing a one year incentive laden contract for 2013 that would enable him to reestablish his value prior to the 2014 season... a multi-year contract though? No way
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Depending on how his arm checks out, I'd be for offering him arbitration. If he accepts, he's on a reasonable one year deal for his expected production. If he doesn't, we get the comp. pick. Would not do a long term deal for him though.

This Narveson speculation has to stop.

He will not be in our rotation next year, and if for some reason he is, he will not be effective.

I see his name come up constantly in these threads, but the kind of surgeries he had, the best you can hope for is 2014, and then, why would we need him? Lots of youngsters will be ready to go at that time.

I am seeing a lot of love for the guy, but including him in our rotation plans for next year has to stop. We will have FAR better options than a guy his age coming off major surgeries.

The best we can hope for from him in 2013 is a long relief guy in the 2nd half. You can quote me on this.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Against..

In two seasons Marcum has shown no ability to stay healthy during or down the stretch. A shaky injury history brings his value down a lot, not just a bit, for a team like the Brewers.

I'd much rather the Brewers take a look at Colby Lewis, Joe Saunders, Anibal Sanchez or Brandon McCarthy with Gallardo and Fiers going 1 & 2.

For, on the arby offer or maybe a two-year deal if for some reason he's amenable. If we end up paying him $13m for one year, it won't break our bank -- he might even earn the money -- and making the offer would be worth it to net the comp pick.

He will not be in our rotation next year, and if for some reason he is, he will not be effective.

I see his name come up constantly in these threads, but the kind of surgeries he had, the best you can hope for is 2014, and then, why would we need him? Lots of youngsters will be ready to go at that time.

I am seeing a lot of love for the guy, but including him in our rotation plans for next year has to stop. We will have FAR better options than a guy his age coming off major surgeries.

The best we can hope for from him in 2013 is a long relief guy in the 2nd half. You can quote me on this.

I didn't even end up projecting him into my 5 man rotation next year. It's unlikely he returns to start next year, but throwing his name in a big list of "possibilities at the back end of the rotation" is not "including him in our rotation plans" or unreasonable.

I didn't even end up projecting him into my 5 man rotation next year. It's unlikely he returns to start next year, but throwing his name in a big list of "possibilities at the back end of the rotation" is not "including him in our rotation plans" or unreasonable.

I disagree. He will not be an option, especially since we have so many others...

I don't see him as a possibility, even in the back end of our rotation.

If I am wrong, feel free to rub it in next season, but to even include him in any list of possible rotation guys is just a waste of time.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Agree to disagree, I guess. I don't think it's a "waste of time" when considering every possibility, even remote ones. I admit I don't know a whole lot about the surgery or potential recovery time, I've yet to hear anything that definitively discounts Narveson from being back next year, so I'll still consider it.

If his health proves sufficiently favorable, I'm all for bringing Marcum back.

I think Narveson's return isn't something we plan on. If it happens and he proves he can be successful, then it's a bonus.

I really like the thought of bringing him back on a one-year deal, as he could help next year's team and we could flip him at the deadline if he's healthy and we're not in the race. As to a multi-year deal, I couldn't say until all the options are on the table. We may still trade Hart/Ramirez for a pitcher, we don't know who else will be on the FA market, etc. That said, if Hardricourt's tweet about the potential one-year deal is correct, then it is because Marcum knows he won't get much in a multi-year deal until he proves he can play injury-free. If we got him on a lowball deal (8/$24 or something) then it'd be hard to pass up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I wouldn't rule out Narveson. Lets see how he looks next spring regards to his velocity and command. I know people are all jacked to see the young guys, but I'm not sure all of them are ready to match Narveson's effectiveness in 2010 and 2011. Forget ERA, Narvy had WHIPs of under 1.4 each of those 2 seasons. That's decent for a 4th starter, much less a 5th. Besides the Brewers are without a lefty in the picture. It's not like they can't get by with all right handed rotatation, but it helps to vary the look for opposing lineups, and the Reds are especially lefty swinging.

I'm not sure on Marcum. The FA starting pitching list is a pretty long one. Many of those guys will not get long term deals due to their ages/injury history etc. Marcum for one year at $12 million might be a good deal, but other options could be better. If they decide to make another run at Greinke, then definitely not. Same goes for if they get serious on Josh Hamilton unless they deal Weeks or Ramirez first.

I'm inclined to say no, unless the Angels manage to extend Greinke. IF they can't, and if Greinke is willing to return to Milwaukee... well, Drop Marcum and Wolf, bring back Greinke, and have Fiers and the rookies fill out the rotation.

If a qualifying offer means guaranteeing him some $12 million no way can you do that with a guy coming off a significant injury. No team in the open market would guarantee him that much. It would have to be on an incentive laden contract with a fairly low base in the $4-5 million range with incentives that could reach the $12 million.

offer him arb, find out in 12 days if he's going to take it, if not, move on. I think its the most harmless move, and you get an answer quick.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived