Brewer Fanatic

Discussing Segura, Hellweg, and Pena

adambr2
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just have to say . . . MLB Prospect Watch has Kjeldgaard as the Brewers' #16 prospect and Farris at #19. Among the players who don't make their list at all: Mark Rogers, Taylor Green, Hiram Burgos, and the entire 2012 draft class. I get that it's a preseason list, but they're purporting to update it with the prospects from the trade. You can't do that and ignore the season. Kjeldgaard got DFA'd to make room for the new guys, for goodness' sake! Differences of opinion are one thing, but this list is impossible to take seriously.

Yep, that was a good list to begin the season, but it is badly out of date at this point. They did add the guys the Brewers got for Greinke, but that's about it.

I'm trying to reach Jonathan, he knows his stuff and he's been willing to communicate with me in the past. I'd like to know if he oversees those lists during the season, or if they have some staffer on it...as it stands, that list of Brewers prospects is embarrassing for them.

Wow, I've been feeling pretty good about the Brewers' farm system lately. That was a sobering kick to the teeth. Although the comment on Peralta makes me wonder just how closely Callis examined the system before making that list.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm pretty surprised that Bradley still found his way onto Callis' new top 10.

Me too, though I'm not surprised his overall view of the system hasn't changed much since they did their organizational ranking.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There always seems to be a lag effect on national level publications in spotting turn arounds. Which in some sense is fair because most turnarounds are just hot streaks. Callis' assessments sounds a lot like what many might have said a month ago if we had added those players then. July has been pretty good to the system, but looking across the entire season we have a lot of pitching prospects who have had both ups and downs. Burgos and Fiers are going to be rated lower despite great results all year because of their stuff. With Morris and Kh. Davis a month ago there is nothing that screams rewrite the top 10. I could keep going, but I think the bottom line is that if the guys who have been coming on finish strong in August the farm probably ends up more like the middle of the pack. Similarly if some of the guys getting extended looks now perform (I'm looking at you Rogers) publications are going to start to feel more confident in rating Brewers pitchers higher as prospects.

A lot of the Brewers' top prospects right now are pitchers, and nothing in the world is more volatile than young pitchers.

There's a lot to like about the farm system right now. The Brewers have a legit prospect at SS, 2B and 1B, and they've got a couple of outfielders who could stick too...all of whom are at AA or higher right now. There's a list of what, 6-10 pitchers who have a chance to make it too, of course some will fail, but that's the best list of arms the Brewers have had on hand in at least 20 years.

The best part is, we've got Braun, who will fill an OF spot for years, and we've got catcher covered. I'm sure not everyone will pan out, but at least potentially, the farm system now offers a bright young player to fill every opening spot except third base. Maybe other teams have more prospects, and maybe other teams have higher ranked prospects, but the Brewers have players in the system who will fill the upcoming needs of the big league club. That's the whole point.

Who is our legit 2B prospect?

Scouts & prospect-watchers seem to really like Gennett's swing, and the reports tend to agree that his defense has improved quite a bit this season.

Who is our legit 2B prospect?

Scouts & prospect-watchers seem to really like Gennett's swing, and the reports tend to agree that his defense has improved quite a bit this season.

Good to know the scouts and MiLB fans like him. His stats look unimpressive. I know you have to take scouting into account with minor leaguers but I like to see some nice stats too.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just posted (rambling, long post, so you've been warned) in the 'Top 10' thread & used a Gennett pre-'12 scouting report as an example. It might help you understand a little why Gennett is still pretty well-regarded.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Trade provides 'fresh opportunities' for newcomers to Huntsville Stars

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Chris Hook, the Stars' pitching coach, once changed teams during his pitching career and when he arrived at his new clubhouse, the team's catcher sternly pointed at him.

"It's you!" the catcher said.

Hook paused a few seconds then realized, "I hit you last week."

To which the catcher rolled up his shirt and showed where there was still a bruise from the pitch Hook threw.

It wasn't quite the same greeting for Johnny Hellweg, one of three new Huntsville Stars, but close. He had pitched against many of the current Stars two years ago in the low-A Midwest League and in one game beaned their teammate Cutter Dykstra.

Hellweg is 6-foot-9. Pretty recognizable guilty party when he arrived in the Stars' clubhouse on Sunday. Scooter Gennett, among others, brought up the memory.

All is forgiven.

Hellweg, fellow pitcher Ariel Pena and shortstop Jean Segura were acquired by the Brewers' organization on Friday when Milwaukee sent former Cy Young winner Zack Greinke to the Los Angeles Angels.

(Such is the modern communication world that Hook first heard of the Greinke trade from his pre-teen son, who saw it on Twitter, and manager Darnell Coles learned about it from his players, who had the same source.)

The welcome mat was out for the new players, though the Stars might have helped by slapping on some "Hello, My Name is..." lapel stickers.

"It's weird. You've got to start new relationships," Hellweg said. "I'm still learning guys' names. I know about three guys by a first-name basis."

Hellweg (5-10 at Arkansas this season) will start Wednesday against the Lookouts' uber-prospect, Zack Lee, the former LSU quarterback. Pena was the starter Monday against Chattanooga.

Segura, the highest-rated minor leaguer in the Angels' system, is the Stars' new shortstop. He's already impressed with both bat and glove, and he provided a game-tying RBI that kept Pena from suffering the loss.

It's a perfect opportunity for each. Milwaukee needs help at shortstop and there's nobody in the pipeline who jumps out at you. The Brewers have long offered opportunities for myriad pitchers with a healthy arms, a decent fastball and even the slightest acquaintance with the strike zone.

"It's a fresh opportunity," said Coles, who was involved in four trades as a major leaguer.

"Take advantage of a new situation. Be yourself," Coles would stress to the newcomers.

Hellweg said the trade "was a little bit of a surprise. There was a little bit of shock there. It's starting to settle in."

He confessed that it was "bittersweet. I didn't know what to think at first. But I got more and more excited every minute.

"It was hard to leave but they let me know this would be a better opportunity for me, and I thought so," he said. "I'm happy to be a part of the Brew Crew."

Milwaukee fans and officials "the guys in the Greinke trade," there will be a certain bit of extra recognition for Segura, Pena and Hellweg.

"This puts me a little more on the radar with this organization," Hellweg said.

Or, to use another gizmo, "They're under the microscope," Coles said. "It's a perfect storm for them."

While Coles sent Pena and Segura to work as starters on Monday, he pressed Hellweg into service. He was sent out to coach first base.

With the Stars leading the Southern League in hitting, maybe it was the best way to facilitate meeting new teammates.

The Huntsville Times / Photo by Robin Conn

Huntsville Stars shortstop Jean Segura (4) makes a play on a ball hit into the hole during action against the Chattanooga Lookouts

http://media.al.com/huntsville-times/photo/2012/07/11369525-large.jpg

Segura has been very good through his first few games and Hellweg was great tonight! Apparently, Hellweg was hitting 98 on the gun tonight. I am not sure if I am more excited for Hellweg or Segura. I am a sucker for power arms and Hellweg fits that bill.

That McCalvy piece has probably the best discussion of Segura's future at ss that I've seen. He manages to summarize all the important factors, pro and con.

People have probably said this already, but "Johnny Hellweg" is an awesome name. Add to that the fact that the other guys in the trade are named Ariel and Jean, which are cool and unusual first names, and I think this may be the best name return in any Brewers trade I can remember.

Wow, all three of those made me laugh, rwa12. Nice!

And ando... yes, I did think of The Little Mermaid basically right away. Thankfully rwa was here to pick up the slack.

Another Segura idea... Jean Genie (kinda playing off "The Wizard")

Archived