Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers gets the call [5/7/2013: Leaves rehab start with trainer]

splitterpfj

Just reading his velocity was way down too, one tweet said he was visibly frustrated after the short outing - - understandable but gotta hope nothing wrong.

added: just 18 strikes in 42 pitches, with velocity drop and injury history brings bad juju.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone else worried about rogers and his control issues this spring?

No more than I'm worried about his lack of control last year in the minors. The good innings in the majors screamed complete fluke to me. If we get any quality innings out of him I'll be very happy.

Today effort has to make you wonder and think he will get one more start to prove something.It might be best for him to go to the Pen and work issues out since he has no Options.I also have a feeling DM will go veteran starter shopping soon.

Today effort has to make you wonder and think he will get one more start to prove something.It might be best for him to go to the Pen and work issues out since he has no Options.I also have a feeling DM will go veteran starter shopping soon.

I hope he trades for Niemann since TB has a big glut at #5 and Niemann projects as a good starter. A guy can dream.

If he's really throwing that bad, they might be able to get him through waivers. Teams claiming him can't send him down either.

On a brighter note, he's with Puerto Rico now but the guy who's moved up on the starter ladder this spring is Hiram Burgos, who as they say, has done nothing wrong. He could press Peralta for that last rotation spot.

Really starting to get worried about Rogers. I was kind of hoping he'd get the last spot in the rotation, but I'm losing faith in that. Now I'm hoping he can just make the pen. I'd hate to see him go but he's got to do something next time out to show he belongs.

Really starting to get worried about Rogers. I was kind of hoping he'd get the last spot in the rotation, but I'm losing faith in that. Now I'm hoping he can just make the pen. I'd hate to see him go but he's got to do something next time out to show he belongs.

That's pretty much my thoughts. I had hoped he'd get the #5 starter job based on potential and that he doesn't have any options remaining. Ennder hit it on the head in that last year's MLB stint certainly didn't mirror the erratic season he had in the minors. He's seemingly pitching himself out of that MLB rotation, but I'd guess they'll try to keep him on as "long man" out of the pen after all the shots they've given him over the years.

This could be why Roenicke has hinted at keeping eight relievers. Rogers' spot would be to only come in in blowout games to see if he can get it together while working with the MLB coaches in his "down time." Otherwise, if he has a couple of horrendous MLB outings, they may have a better chance of slipping him through to the minors late April than they do now, when a bottom-feeder team like the Astros may claim him on his potential.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I guess it depends on how you define fluke, but i don't think his MLB performance was random, but I wonder if he's feeling pressure. Maybe he's got some Manny Parra in him. Do the Brewers need a hypnotist on retainer?

Speaking of Manny, I keep hearing how stacked and deep the Reds are. Izturis is having a good Spring and might be the BU SS. Chapman had some odd quotes about preferring relieving. I wonder if he moves to the pen and they need a 6th starter if Cingrani gets the call.

Formerly AKA Pete

Does anyone else think maybe the pressure is getting to him? When he has pitched in the majors last year and in 2010 it was in the later part of the season when the Brewers were out of it. He pitched really well then. Now that he is competing for a rotation spot, knowing he is out of options, is it possible he is putting too much pressure on himself to perform well?

Then what was the reasoning in AAA last year when he pitched terribly? Rogers career is so spotty due to injury that even trying to determine a baseline level is very difficult. One of the many reasons why Sanchez and Jackson would have been good targets this off-season.

Well, if the Brewers are going to keep a gazillion pitchers in the pen again this season, Rogers had better be one. They always seem to have one too many guys in the bullpen who gets very little work. It would make sense to keep Rogers in that role where you could at least work with him and put him in early in some games for mop up duty. Probably not the best way for his development, but the Brewers have no other options (pun intended). Better that than let him walk to keep some guy who they could pluck later in the season from Nashville if necessary.

Well, if the Brewers are going to keep a gazillion pitchers in the pen again this season, Rogers had better be one. They always seem to have one too many guys in the bullpen who gets very little work. It would make sense to keep Rogers in that role where you could at least work with him and put him in early in some games for mop up duty. Probably not the best way for his development, but the Brewers have no other options (pun intended). Better that than let him walk to keep some guy who they could pluck later in the season from Nashville if necessary.

I agree with this so much. With all the Brewers have invested in his career so far (literally & figuratively), it would be so disappointing to see him let go.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone else think maybe the pressure is getting to him? When he has pitched in the majors last year and in 2010 it was in the later part of the season when the Brewers were out of it. He pitched really well then. Now that he is competing for a rotation spot, knowing he is out of options, is it possible he is putting too much pressure on himself to perform well?

God no. rogers is a bad pitcher, pure and simple. Don't make excuses for him. He is almost as bad as Mark Hendrickson who there was never any reason to think could be better than a 5 ERA guy even though some on this forum bought into him for some reason.

Amazing how many here are buying into sunk costs on Rogers. The Brewers probably should try to keep him giving they have little pitching depth, but to say they have so much invested in him (they really don't) is the same idea as having to run out Suppan to start because you are paying him so much.

God no. rogers is a bad pitcher, pure and simple. Don't make excuses for him.

Yet somehow, Rogers has managed to strike out 52 Major League hitters in 49 innings, and has a career WHIP of 1.122. It's a small sample size, but he was able win his last three starts, even if they were against Chicago and Houston.

Milwaukee can't afford to be dumping pitchers right now. Check him out, let him work through it.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Yet somehow, Rogers has managed to strike out 52 Major League hitters in 49 innings, and has a career WHIP of 1.122

Oliver Perez struck out a lot of guys too. You cannot succeed as a starter with that poor of command so Rogers needs to change to become a good pitcher. I don't know if he can change or not but this version of Rogers has very little value.

reports are that mark rogers is headed to the disabled list. if it's the 15-day disabled list, he would still remain on the 40-man roster.

For how long? It's more likely now at the end of 15 days, he'll get taken off the 40 man to make room for Lohse. Odd are he'll clear though.

Archived