Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers gets the call [5/7/2013: Leaves rehab start with trainer]

splitterpfj
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well apparently they are going to put an innings limit on Rogers anyway so I was wrong. I'm surprised, but there is an argument to be made from a health standpoint.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It would be HUGE if Rogers could pitch to a 4ish ERA in our rotation next year. I am really pulling for him. He's definitely got the stuff for it.
is that really what you hope for? a 4ish ERA?

He's capable of maintaining a mid 3's ERA with a K per inning k9.

It would be HUGE if Rogers could pitch to a 4ish ERA in our rotation next year. I am really pulling for him. He's definitely got the stuff for it.

A 4ish ERA would put him as the 36 best pitcher in the NL. I would take that in a heart beat. There are 7 NL pitchers with k/9 above 8.96. That is ton to ask of a guy who would be in his first full MLB season.

If Rogers becomes a mid-3, 9 k/9 guy he is going to be our best pitcher or at least right there with Yo

It really isn't fair to expect a sub 4 ERA from any pitcher in their first year, even really high upside ones. Getting a 4 ERA out of Rogers and close to a 4 ERA out of Fiers would be huge for next year. We already have more or less a full lineup in place, that would give us a full rotation and then we just have to fix the bullpen.

It really isn't fair to expect a sub 4 ERA from any pitcher in their first year, even really high upside ones. Getting a 4 ERA out of Gallardo and close to a 4 ERA out of Fiers would be huge for next year. We already have more or less a full lineup in place, that would give us a full rotation and then we just have to fix the bullpen.

I think you meant to say Rogers, not Gallardo.

There's 2 guys in Oakland named Parker and Blackly that sort of disprove your theory though. I'd count this as Fiers first year also. All those guys in Washington, while not rookies, aren't exactly veterans either.

You are right about the bullpen though. They could have 3 or 4 starters with ERA's under 4, and if the bullpen isn't fixed, it will all be for naught.

According to ESPN, in the National League, there are 36 pitchers with an ERA of 4.00 or better, and 19 pitchers at 3.50 or better. It looks like they must be using around 120 IP to qualify.

Wandy Rodriguez has been a pretty good pitcher this season, and his ERA is right at 4.00. If Fiers and Rogers could put seasons together in 2013 like Wandy has in 2012, they will help the staff. While either or both could do better than that, I don't think it's a good idea to expect them to perform at a much better level than that. It wouldn't surprise me to see either or both of them post an ERA over 4 for a full season in 2013.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There's 2 guys in Oakland named Parker and Blackly that sort of disprove your theory though.

You can't really trust Oakland pitchers' ERAs to tell you much about the pitcher. Both those guys have pretty severe home/road splits.

True, but they don't face pitchers in the AL either.

There's 2 guys in Oakland named Parker and Blackly that sort of disprove your theory though. I'd count this as Fiers first year also

yeah I did.

I'm not saying no pitcher ever pitches to a sub 4 ERA. I'm just saying it isn't fair to expect it in their first full season. Blackly isn't a very fair comparison since he is 30 and made his major league debut back in 2004, not exactly the same type of guy. Parker has an xFIP of 4.08 and is mostly keep his ERA down by playing in a division that suppresses HR significantly, so not sure I see him as a better than 4ish ERA guy.

But again I'm talking about expectations and not results. Rogers could easily come out and be a stud next year but it isn't fair to expect it. Most young pitchers take a few years to reach their true talent in the majors.

Ok, I'm hoping for a 2.3 ERA, but I'd be very satisfied with a 4ish.

I'm just so thrilled for Mark. It was so much fun to watch him grow his confidence in his pitches this year in Nashville and to share his call up with him minutes after he was told. I really want him to do well.. like I know he can.

It really isn't fair to expect a sub 4 ERA from any pitcher in their first year, even really high upside ones. Getting a 4 ERA out of Gallardo and close to a 4 ERA out of Fiers would be huge for next year. We already have more or less a full lineup in place, that would give us a full rotation and then we just have to fix the bullpen.

There's 2 guys in Oakland named Parker and Blackly that sort of disprove your theory though. I'd count this as Fiers first year also. All those guys in Washington, while not rookies, aren't exactly veterans either.

You are right about the bullpen though. They could have 3 or 4 starters with ERA's under 4, and if the bullpen isn't fixed, it will all be for naught.

Really? How do they disprove his theory? If Logan Schafer is brought up, I would say it's not fair to expect him to hit .345, steal 39 of 42 bases, play exceptional defense at a extremely important defensive position while hitting for 30-35 HR's and posting an WAR of about 9.0 just because a guy in the same division you reference has done it.

Mark Rogers has been through hell and back. I'll say it right now, if he throws 160 innings, makes 30 starts, and has a 4.50 ERA next year, I'll be happy.

Fiers on the other hand, I think there's something a little special about the way the ball comes out of his hand, and I think he'll be more in the 3.50-ish range. But even as I say that, I know that's a lot to ask.

Rookie pitchers get figured out relatively fast in major league baseball. Which is why I don't think, even with the lineup we have on the field not performing well that we'll be contenders next year...even if we have a BP like we did last year. It'll be Gallardo and 4 unproven guys, or a couple of "proven," #4 starters.

Now if I happened to get off topic and we ended up re-signing a certain pitcher than I think you'd have two proven arms, you could hope for one guy to break the mold and have enough between the rest to contend. But that's only with Greinke back and that's obviously unlikely(though IMO getting much-much more likely everyday...I'm predicting either Detroit, LAA or small market team making a splash, Pitt, KC....or us).

Anyway, unless you're talking about just super elite pitchers, they usually don't maintain excellence throughout a season, they struggle. Simple as that. Fiers if he made 35 starts this year or 33..whatever would probably have a bad second half, just as Cal Eldred would have, just as most anyone not named Lincecum, Strausburg of players of like will early on.

.......but I'm certainly hoping Ender's wrong.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Ok, I'm hoping for a 2.3 ERA, but I'd be very satisfied with a 4ish.

I think I realize the push behind spappzilla's negativity towards the Brewers. His expectations are so insanely high that of course they're not going to meet them. Of course on the flip side, he's got extremely low expectations such as for their payroll management.

Which brings me to MLS1965's comment;

I'm just so thrilled for Mark. It was so much fun to watch him grow his confidence in his pitches this year in Nashville and to share his call up with him minutes after he was told. I really want him to do well.. like I know he can.

It really is. Pitchers generally don't go through the shoulder surgeries, the missed seasons...which if added up have to equal..what, 3 full seasons now? The struggles in the lower minors before the injuries and then finally after MORE than 8 years full years from the time they were drafted all the sudden make it to the big leagues and show the type of just plain FILTHY stuff that he showed last night vs the Cubs. But, again, in keeping it in perspective, despite the fact that he had as nasty a slider as any Brewer has had this year currently on the roster, he still gave up 3 ER's over 5 IP and his ERA is still 5.02. Because rookie pitchers take a little while extra.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think I realize the push behind spappzilla's negativity towards the Brewers. His expectations are so insanely high that of course they're not going to meet them. Of course on the flip side, he's got extremely low expectations such as for their payroll management.

I have no "negativity" towards the Brewers. I don't have insanely high expectations either. I highly doubt I'm the only person who posts on this board who doesn't see the brewers contending next year. That's not being negative, that's being real.

as far as my "extremely low expectations such as for their payroll management", I thought I was with the majority in saying their payroll would be between $80-$90M next year? Did I miss something? Does everyone think the Brewers are a $115M payroll team like that one guy?

• 2 weeks later...
How many innings did he pitch this year? Are we going to run into the same thing next year if he makes the starting rotation? We've had so much bad luck with starting pitchers that it'd be great to see Mark turn into an above average starter.

Rogers end results looked pretty good. However he threw a lot of pitches and only made it at least 6 innings in two of the seven starts he made this year. He could be a bullpen killer next year.

There's no doubt efficiency has been an issue for Mark over the course of his career, but we don't have a pitcher coming through the minors who regularly goes 7 innings. Unfortunately we're probably going to be leaning on the bullpen more than I would like, though we do have a plethora of internal candidates that could be difference makers in the pen. I really like Jesus Sanchez who just finished the season in AAA, Vargas could be a bullpen guy, Kintzler is back up, Hand has done well in relief, and Wooten finished strong. Nashville also has some other guys like De Los Santos, Baker, and Lowe who are intriguing as possible bullpen guys.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Rogers would have great potential as a 5th man in the rotation. He'd be a 5-6 inning guy with great stuff. If he figures out some efficiency, he could quickly become our #2.

I would be more than happy if Rogers could be a 4.5 ERA starter for $500k/year. I think he's destined to be just an OK reliever though. I think we can all agree that he has an interesting upside, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rogers would have great potential as a 5th man in the rotation. He'd be a 5-6 inning guy with great stuff. If he figures out some efficiency, he could quickly become our #2.

I would be more than happy if Rogers could be a 4.5 ERA starter for $500k/year. I think he's destined to be just an OK reliever though. I think we can all agree that he has an interesting upside, though.

I've felt for a while Rogers throws too many pitches balls to be a really effective starter. I believe that instead of him throwing 3-4 pitches with spotty control, the club should put him in the pen and just have him learn to throw 2 pitches really well.

Of course, maybe as a reliever he'll just end up with mediocre control on two pitches (think Veras). But I wonder what would happen if he could be told to stick to a couple of pitches. Let him try and master a smaller arsenal. If it works, with his smoke, he could be a very good reliever.

I have a feeling that no matter how many pitches he learns, he's going to be a bit wild. But by letting him specialize, perhaps he could better control his pitches a little better.

• 6 months later...

Archived