Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers gets the call [5/7/2013: Leaves rehab start with trainer]

splitterpfj
Good for Rogers for fighting through everything but there's nothing in his numbers this year to get excited about. I hope he proves me wrong.

The metrics thus far do not excite me. However, 98 miles per hour excites me plenty. After the injuries he's gone through, knowing he can run it up there to near triple digits again has me feeling optimistic.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like him as a ball player. A China Doll wouldn't be a fragile enough comparison for him. I can see him not making it through his bullpen session.

It sounds like you've really done your homework here

I just get so sick of guys who are likely overweight, sitting and eating fried chicken, getting greese all over their computers insulting a players toughness and bashing a player because of injuries he's had no control over.

I'm guessing is some of these people(not those who question if he can handle the work load based on his history, that's perfectly valid, but those who have to have the biting digs) got off the couch and threw the ball once their arms would be in pain for weeks and they'd be out of breath walking outside in the first place.

I thought these types of ignorant comments where reserved for the ESPN board.

Considering Rogers has gotten hurt in just about every one of his professional seasons, I don't see how the "china doll" comment is so ridiculous. Whether the injuries are his fault or not is irrelevant, Mark gets hurt a lot.

I made this point in an earlier thread, but i think it bears repeating here. Rodgers only pitched 42 innings last year and was coming off wrist surgery coming into this year, that said, is it fair to give him a few starts to get back to pitching for the first time in a year? I think so, and since his velocity has gotten up to wear it was supposed to be, and likely his level of comfort with pitching again, hes been lights out.

The other point i brought up was that the PCL is a well known hitters league, and because of it we (and everybody) are very willing to throw out our hitters numbers away from Greer stadium in Nashville. Greer is a league average park, but most in the PCL are EXTREME hitter environments, so instead of just handycapping out hitters success away from Greer, lets handycap our pitchers failures away from Greer as well, I think thats only fair. Would a Mark Rogers with a 2.98 ERA in 9 starts make some of you feel more comfortable about him? because those are his numbers at home this season.

at home:

Rogers - 2.98 (9 starts) - 4.72 total

Fiers - 4.28 (5 starts) - 4.42 total

Peralta - 4.30 (9 starts) - 4.92 total

I hope this helps some of you that cannot figure out why the brewers have faith in the kid. Oh, and 98-101 mph in the 6th and 7th inning doesnt hurt either!

I don't like him as a ball player. A China Doll wouldn't be a fragile enough comparison for him. I can see him not making it through his bullpen session.

It sounds like you've really done your homework here

I just get so sick of guys who are likely overweight, sitting and eating fried chicken, getting greese all over their computers insulting a players toughness and bashing a player because of injuries he's had no control over.

I'm guessing is some of these people(not those who question if he can handle the work load based on his history, that's perfectly valid, but those who have to have the biting digs) got off the couch and threw the ball once their arms would be in pain for weeks and they'd be out of breath walking outside in the first place.

First of all, I think you make a very important point that players (almost always) have no control over whether they get hurt. Injuries can be a reason to doubt how much a player will produce, but they're never be a reason to question a player's character.

Speaking of bad reasons to question people's character, let me make sure I'm getting the takeaway points here: (1) Only people who can play baseball well have any business criticizing baseball players. (2) Anybody who makes a bad or ill-considered argument is presumably fat. (3) Fat people are presumably sloppy. (4) Fat, sloppy people are presumably stupid. Does that about sum it up?

Also -- not to undermine what I must presume to be the genius that accompanies your chiseled physical perfection -- you misspelled "grease."

Good for Rogers for fighting through everything but there's nothing in his numbers this year to get excited about. I hope he proves me wrong.

Like others have said, coming back from wrist surgery it likely would take anyone a little while to find their groove. But in his last three starts covering 19 innings he has given up 9 hits, walked 5, and struck out 20. Anyone can do that for a game or two, but as they say, once is an accident, twice is luck, three times is a trend.

Got nothing to lose at this point. Season is lost, he has no options left, let's see if the last three starts are really a trend and if it means one less pitcher the Brewers have to find in the offseason, starter or bullpen.

I had written Mark Rogers off years ago. I tossed him onto the heap of the Mike Jones, JM Gold types and If we can get anything out of him at the major league level it is gravy as far as I am concerned. Here is hoping/wishing that he has a major league career as successful as Homer Bailey's, who I will always compare him to.

Messages like this should definitely remain at ESPN.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hoping that Rogers can contribute to the Brewers down the road, be it as a starter or a reliever. I'd like to say that he's the poster child for my cynicism regarding prospects (particularly pitchers)- but truth be told, just by virtue of a few major league starts, he's probably in the top third of first round drafted pitchers throughout Brewer history.

Considering Rogers has gotten hurt in just about every one of his professional seasons, I don't see how the "china doll" comment is so ridiculous. Whether the injuries are his fault or not is irrelevant, Mark gets hurt a lot.

The main thing is that his shoulder and elbow have been fine for three years now. I understand the skepticism but his injury in 2011 was more of a fluke than anything. I mean, who gets carpal tunnel in both wrists? I am not worried as much about him hurting his shoulder again as I am him not being able to throw enough strikes. It seems like his two huge problems this year have been walks and home runs. But either way, the Brewers don't really have anything to lose with this. It's not like they are gunning for a wild card. If he can come up and have two or three successful starts in place of Marcum it'll be a huge plus for the organization.

I've seen him throw all year in Nashville and he has been solid. I also talked with him minutes after he was told about the call to the Brewers and he was very excited. It was fun to be there when it happened

I made this point in an earlier thread, but i think it bears repeating here. Rodgers only pitched 42 innings last year and was coming off wrist surgery coming into this year, that said, is it fair to give him a few starts to get back to pitching for the first time in a year? I think so, and since his velocity has gotten up to wear it was supposed to be, and likely his level of comfort with pitching again, hes been lights out.

The other point i brought up was that the PCL is a well known hitters league, and because of it we (and everybody) are very willing to throw out our hitters numbers away from Greer stadium in Nashville. Greer is a league average park, but most in the PCL are EXTREME hitter environments, so instead of just handycapping out hitters success away from Greer, lets handycap our pitchers failures away from Greer as well, I think thats only fair. Would a Mark Rogers with a 2.98 ERA in 9 starts make some of you feel more comfortable about him? because those are his numbers at home this season.

at home:

Rogers - 2.98 (9 starts) - 4.72 total

Fiers - 4.28 (5 starts) - 4.42 total

Peralta - 4.30 (9 starts) - 4.92 total

I hope this helps some of you that cannot figure out why the brewers have faith in the kid. Oh, and 98-101 mph in the 6th and 7th inning doesnt hurt either!

great post, thank you for this! I am really excited for him to have this opportunity! I am hoping he takes full advantage of it!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

No problem :) in another one of my posts I mentioned that he was pitching like a man that smelled an opportunity his last few starts. I'm not sure, but does anybody get the feeling that he might have been made to know that if Greinke got traded he would get a shot?

game is on TBS tomorrow, for anyone not in the milwaukee/washington broadcast area

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

game is on TBS tomorrow, for anyone not in the milwaukee/washington broadcast area

Good to hear. Normally I'd be blacked out from that game on MLB.tv despite living hours south of DC. Hopefully TBS doesn't black out the game as well...

Like others have said, coming back from wrist surgery it likely would take anyone a little while to find their groove. But in his last three starts covering 19 innings he has given up 9 hits, walked 5, and struck out 20. Anyone can do that for a game or two, but as they say, once is an accident, twice is luck, three times is a trend.

Got nothing to lose at this point. Season is lost, he has no options left, let's see if the last three starts are really a trend and if it means one less pitcher the Brewers have to find in the offseason, starter or bullpen.

3 times is a blink of an eye in baseball.

[sarcasm]You forgot "and live in their parents' basement."[/sarcasm]

When I read garbage like the above, and it is garbage, I picture the following....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/posting/internet_tough_guy_mag.jpg

Nice job Mark, congratulations, you looked like a first-rounder today!

He sure did -- he looked like a MLB vet, actually. No outward sign of nerves whatsoever. And he was a borderline call on the 2-2 FB to Bernadina away from completing the 6th.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived