Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers gets the call [5/7/2013: Leaves rehab start with trainer]

splitterpfj

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited that he's finally getting his shot. I'm pulling for him big time!!!!

Just bought his rookie card to celebrate!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/396/rogersj.png

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Hope he does well obviously, but his minor league numbers don't inspire much hope in me, even though his last three starts have been good. Still way to many walks and K rate is down

(repeating something I posted in the 2d Half Optimism thread)

It's not just his last three starts -- 4.58 ERA over his last 10 starts, but that drops to 3.19 if you throw out a 10 ER implosion on June 10th. I know you can't just throw out a bad outlier, but the norm from Mark lately is solid outings.

More love for Mass Haas's work in the MiLB forum... he linked & posted a story from Rogers's hometown paper that included this quote from Reid Nichols, the Brewers' director of player development:

"I think I can safely say everyone in the organization thinks he's turned the corner," said Reid Nichols, director of player development for Milwaukee, prior to the call-up. "He's starting to become what we thought he would."

You just don't find Nichols saying things like that. I'm one who's been vocal about wanting to see Rogers shifted to the bullpen, but at this point it seems like the Brewers are feeling pretty good about sticking with Mark as a SP.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can't even imagine what a huge X-factor it would be for the Brewers if he still managed to turn into a #2 starter or so for them. He's only 26, it's not like the best years of his career have passed him by.

Very excited for this. I've always had a feeling he'd have an impact... better late than never (hopefully). Gotta give fireballers every chance they can get.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

adambr2, a #2 starter would be wonderful, but after all this time, and all the setbacks, if Mark becomes a plus bullpen arm in Milwaukee, the Brewers should be thrilled.

Agreed, there would be nothing wrong with that. Just hoping for more based on Nichols' encouraging words.

But a high end bullpen arm would be fine too. It's not like our bullpen couldn't use the help.

I don't like him as a ball player. A China Doll wouldn't be a fragile enough comparison for him. I can see him not making it through his bullpen session.

It sounds like you've really done your homework here

I don't like him as a ball player. A China Doll wouldn't be a fragile enough comparison for him. I can see him not making it through his bullpen session.

It sounds like you've really done your homework here

I just get so sick of guys who are likely overweight, sitting and eating fried chicken, getting greese all over their computers insulting a players toughness and bashing a player because of injuries he's had no control over.

I'm guessing is some of these people(not those who question if he can handle the work load based on his history, that's perfectly valid, but those who have to have the biting digs) got off the couch and threw the ball once their arms would be in pain for weeks and they'd be out of breath walking outside in the first place.

I thought these types of ignorant comments where reserved for the ESPN board.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well the irony is rich in that you're just flinging insults around without knowing anything about who you're targeting them at.

I get that people are apprehensive about Rogers, but the hyperbole about how fragile he is or isn't really isn't useful imo. If anything, it's a testament to his toughness & dedication that he's overcome so much in his career so far.

adambr2, a #2 starter would be wonderful, but after all this time, and all the setbacks, if Mark becomes a plus bullpen arm in Milwaukee, the Brewers should be thrilled.

Wouldn't it be nice to have our own Aroldis Chapman coming out of the pen? Somebody that can throw with control, and just blow the ball bye you. A sometime closer, a sometime setup guy.

I have a feeling Mark is going to surprise us.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived