Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why burn the service time?

Well it wouldn't matter at this point. He was only called up by the Angels a week ago and we're well past the likely cutoff for super two status. The only way they could really save service time would be to leave him in AAA for the first half of next season.

Verified Member
Well, he was the Angels back-up SS on their roster right now, you'd think that he would be as good as anything we have right now wouldn't you?

He was in AA.

For the last week he was on the major league roster....

Well it wouldn't matter at this point. He was only called up by the Angels a week ago and we're well past the likely cutoff for super two status. The only way they could really save service time would be to leave him in AAA for the first half of next season.

And is that entirely unlikely? He only has half of a season of AA under his belt so far.

Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2007 as a 17 year old, Segura hit the ground running in his full season debut in 2010 in Low-A Cedar Rapids. His follow up in the hitter friendly California League was cut short by hamstring issues, though he did show promise after moving from second to shortstop in his 52 game 2011 season.

Generously listed at 5-foot-11, Segura has a small strike zone, which he commands well. Combined with his compact swing and excellent hand acceleration allow him to make good contact with just about anything in the zone. Segura also shows surprising power, though his approach is geared toward driving the ball into the gaps. Segura’s defensive tools are equally as impressive, as he combines good range and lateral agility with an above average arm. However, he can be frustrating at times as well, as he has shown the ability to range far to either side, set his feet, and then mishandle a ball that he is position to field cleanly. He is also an above average runner with good instincts on the bases who can thrive on a team with an aggressive baserunning philosophy, not unlike the one managed by Mike Scoscia in Anaheim.

Though he didn’t get a lot of time in at Inland Empire in 2011, Segura is likely to climb to AA Arkansas in 2012. With Erick Aybar set to hit the free agent market after the season, Segura will be auditioning for the 2013 starting shortstop job, though he will have a lot of things to prove in order to earn it.

That's Perfect Game's pre-2012 scouting report on Segura. They also had him at #2, behind Trout.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I will say this to comment on the end of the discussion that was in the rumors thread: Olt has legit power and could be a big time slugger in the MLB soon, but he has just as much of a shot as someone like Coulter or Roache do that the Brewers just drafted. Point being neither has played an MLB game yet and it's all wild speculation.

Same as it is with the prospects the Brewers did get. Though Segura has a cup of coffee in the majors now.

How cool would it be to be an Angel fan this season. Adding Pujols and Greinke to your rosters has to be pretty fun as a fan.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This is depressing. Great! I'm overjoyed, the Brewers got players to help their minor league system. Whoopie!! The Brewers have lost enough as a franchise the last 20 years, after a few years of success, now we have to go back to losing for at least a couple of years again?? Great. When you trade a player like Greinke, or lose a player like Prince in FA, you are losing star players. Star players help you win, they drive attendance, they drive merchandise sales etc etc. It's all relative. Fans want a winner. That's what makes them come out to the ball park. Without star players, it makes it very hard to win consistently. Fans don't show up, eventually payroll drops, and your back in the same vicious cycle, you have been for so many years.

It sucks being a Brewer fan tonight, and I don't think it's going to be a whole lot of fun the next couple years at least either. *sigh*

So you'd rather have kept this star player for two months only to lose him for (practically) nothing.

Very happy with this. Sounds like three promising players for two months of Greinke. Very nicely done.

This is depressing. Great! I'm overjoyed, the Brewers got players to help their minor league system. Whoopie!! The Brewers have lost enough as a franchise the last 20 years, after a few years of success, now we have to go back to losing for at least a couple of years again?? Great. When you trade a player like Greinke, or lose a player like Prince in FA, you are losing star players. Star players help you win, they drive attendance, they drive merchandise sales etc etc. It's all relative. Fans want a winner. That's what makes them come out to the ball park. Without star players, it makes it very hard to win consistently. Fans don't show up, eventually payroll drops, and your back in the same vicious cycle, you have been for so many years.

It sucks being a Brewer fan tonight, and I don't think it's going to be a whole lot of fun the next couple years at least either. *sigh*

I cannot understand this logic. Zack is a free agent at the end of the year.

Without star players, it makes it very hard to win consistently. Fans don't show up, eventually payroll drops, and your back in the same vicious cycle, you have been for so many years.

Without a farm system, you don't get star players without breaking the bank. For a team like the Brewers to compete, they need to make good decisions. Trading for Greinke was a good decision, as it helped them make the playoffs. Trading Grienke away for 3 of the Angels' top 10 prospects is also a good decision, since Zach's final 10 starts in 2012 were meaningless here in Milwaukee. The Brewers weren't going to the postseason with Greinke, despite how well he has pitched. It just wasn't coming together this year.

The Brewers are building up a core of players in AA that they feel will give them a chance to win in the future. The last time they had this many quality prospects at that level, they turned into Fielder, Weeks, Hart, etc. -- much of the core of the current roster.

I'm sure we'll all miss Zach (and hope that the Brewers try to bring him back next in free agency). This move puts the team in a better position to be competitive in the future than where they would have been if Greinke had pitched out the string and signed somewhere else, giving the team a single draft pick in return. It's about looking to the future.

I cannot understand this logic. Zack is a free agent at the end of the year.

Right, and that's EXACTLY my point. He didn't have to be. Just like Prince didn't have to be. Too often it seems, the Brewers wait entirely too long to try to re sign some of these guys, and then it makes it nearly impossible. If you have the "win now" mentality like Mark A does, then you do what you have to do to make sure that occurs consistently. Was it realistic to keep both Prince AND Greinke?? No...but absolutely NO REASON one of them shouldn't have been kept. That's not a "win now" mentality. That's small time mentality.

Without star players, it makes it very hard to win consistently. Fans don't show up, eventually payroll drops, and your back in the same vicious cycle, you have been for so many years.

Without a farm system, you don't get star players without breaking the bank. For a team like the Brewers to compete, they need to make good decisions. Trading for Greinke was a good decision, as it helped them make the playoffs. Trading Grienke away for 3 of the Angels' top 10 prospects is also a good decision, since Zach's final 10 starts in 2012 were meaningless here in Milwaukee. The Brewers weren't going to the postseason with Greinke, despite how well he has pitched. It just wasn't coming together this year.

The Brewers are building up a core of players in AA that they feel will give them a chance to win in the future. The last time they had this many quality prospects at that level, they turned into Fielder, Weeks, Hart, etc. -- much of the core of the current roster.

I'm sure we'll all miss Zach (and hope that the Brewers try to bring him back next in free agency). This move puts the team in a better position to be competitive in the future than where they would have been if Greinke had pitched out the string and signed somewhere else, giving the team a single draft pick in return. It's about looking to the future.

very well written and reasoned response. but it's in response to a guy in the transaction thread who said "I would have asked for Trout or told them to get bent", so i don't know how much reason will help here.

Right, and that's EXACTLY my point. He didn't have to be. Just like Prince didn't have to be. Too often it seems, the Brewers wait entirely too long to try to re sign some of these guys, and then it makes it nearly impossible. If you have the "win now" mentality like Mark A does, then you do what you have to do to make sure that occurs consistently. Was it realistic to keep both Prince AND Greinke?? No...but absolutely NO REASON one of them shouldn't have been kept. That's not a "win now" mentality. That's small time mentality.

You realize many players want to hit FA so they can get the largest contract possible. Prince was NEVER going to sign long-term here unless we offered him something larger than he even ended up getting - which would have been terrible for us.

Archived