Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
I am really interested to see how our young pitching shakes out next year. Between AA to the majors we will have Fiers, Thornburg, Rogers, Peralta, Burgos, Nelson, Jungmann, Hellweg, Pena, Bucci, Scarpetta, and Bradley.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member

The Future: Tall and skinny, Hellweg still is growing into his frame and velocity, but if he holds onto his control gains he has No. 2 starter potential. The Angels added him to the 40-man roster in November and Double-A awaits him in 2012.

Well nobody can accuse Melvin of not betting on high-risk upside.

Kevin Goldstein had Hellwig #3 entering the season, btw (behind Trout and Segura), so above players like Cowart/Richards

I'm very excited for this and I think it's a great, and necessary move.

Yet there is a part of me that for some reason, feels a bit of sadness -- not about the move itself...but just about the fact that we've turned into regular buyers, not sellers, and this almost feels like the end of an era in a way. We haven't seen a move like this for the Brewers in a long, long time, and it of course definitely signals the official white flag on the season, not that we needed an official one.

Don't get me wrong though -- absolutely a great move. Sure beats the supplementary draft pick.

Minor League Experts:

Would anyone have preferred Garrett Richards to either of pitchers (Hellweg or Pena)?

to either one of them individually, yes. to the combination of the two? probably not.

Well, this certainly looks like a good return at first glance. Interesting that the Rangers wouldn't part with Olt.

Now get Segura up to the bigs, and end the embarassment at SS.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Beside age, and ability to switch hit, this guy looks to be pretty similar to Profar in the stat lines. What is the major drop off there? I'm glad two pitchers are coming back as well, but I don't like the fact that neither seems to be able to throw strikes.

Bottom line, I'm glad that they didn't settle for the Rangers' garbage again. Even happier that they sent him to their big rival. Hopefully Greinke pitches the deciding game against them in the playoffs and shuts them down. I wasn't sold on Olt anyway, so I'd rather roll the dice on a SS.

Looks like Mark Rogers is not starting in Nashville as he was slated to. Wonder if he is taking Greinke's spot since Thornburg had arm fatigue

I posted this hear because it kind of has to do with Greinke leaving

Looks like Mark Rogers is not starting in Nashville as he was slated to. Wonder if he is taking Greinke's spot since Thornburg had arm fatigue

I posted this hear because it kind of has to do with Greinke leaving

Drug test come back dirty?

Verified Member
Everything I have seen so far (fangraphs and BA) points to Segura not being able to stick at SS long term. However, many here have been saying we got a SS of the future. Anyone have a source that thinks Segura can play solid defense at short?

Brewers scouting department? :)

Beside age, and ability to switch hit, this guy looks to be pretty similar to Profar in the stat lines. What is the major drop off there?

Profar is a stud defensively, and this guy is not. (according to scouts at least)

But is he better than Yuni?

Beside age, and ability to switch hit, this guy looks to be pretty similar to Profar in the stat lines. What is the major drop off there? I'm glad two pitchers are coming back as well, but I don't like the fact that neither seems to be able to throw strikes.

Bottom line, I'm glad that they didn't settle for the Rangers' garbage again. Even happier that they sent him to their big rival. Hopefully Greinke pitches the deciding game against them in the playoffs and shuts them down. I wasn't sold on Olt anyway, so I'd rather roll the dice on a SS.

Profar physically projects like Hanley Ramirez (or threabouts), except scouts love his defensive ability... zero doubt that he'll stick there and defend well. All with a higher offensive upside than Segura.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Now get Segura up to the bigs, and end the embarassment at SS.

Segura is going to Huntsville per Melvin on the broadcast. I think it's a good decision. No reason to rush the kid, it's not like he's going to make any sort of difference at the big leagues this year.

Well, he was the Angels back-up SS on their roster right now, you'd think that he would be as good as anything we have right now wouldn't you?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived