Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
Segura blows Escobar away as the better prospect right? Escobar was no where near Top 50. No Odorizzi in the deal either; but we Zack for 2 years, Angels get him for 10 starts

Uhh, what? Escobar was 19th in 2009 and 12th in 2010.

While I be damned; I had no idea Escobar was ever that high

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Segura blows Escobar away as the better prospect right? Escobar was no where near Top 50. No Odorizzi in the deal either; but we Zack for 2 years, Angels get him for 10 starts

I believe Alcides was in the top 50, maybe even top 25. And Odorizzi is better than either of the pitchers. I'll still take the Greinke for 1.5 years/Angels prospects over what we traded the royals though.

What Doug gave up for Greinke and what he got for him is pretty close to a wash. If you suscribe to the theory that the best player wins the trade then Doug won because Segura has the highest ceiling by quite a bit. The Royals got better depth in their trade but if either Hellwig or Pena develops into a top arm then Doug is the definite winner.

Segura seems like a good one if he can stick at SS. If he has to move to 2B, I hope his power develops. BA seems to think he could be a 20 HR guy but being listed at 5'11" 160 seems like a stretch at the moment.

Pena is having a nice year so hopefully he can stick in the rotation. 3.31 BB/9 in 2012 compared to 4.81 BB/9 in 2011. That's a pretty big step forward.

Hellweg is a 6'9" flamethrower who has had trouble with mechanics. His K/9 dropped significantly in 2012 to 6.62 compared to 11.3 last year. Looks like he's been pretty good over the last month so hopefully he just got off to a bad start this season.

Verified Member
The question is were the Brewers prospects they traded for Greinke better? And then you factor in a year and a half of Greinke and the Brewers made out pretty well.

Bingo. I'd probably rather have Escobar, Odorizzi, Jeffress and Cain, but we got a division title and 40 some starts for Greinke as well. The Angels are getting somewhere around 10 starts and they might not even make the playoffs. DM has done well. To those in the know, Segura and Escobar seem like similar players, no?

For the people saying the Angels only have him for 10 starts...what are the chances they'd resign him? I think LA was one of the places Greinke said he could see pitching in. Obviously they have some big contracts but I know Hunter's gone after this year and I want to say Haren's is up too.

It basically depends on if Segura ends up being as good as Escobar and if one of the pitchers does as good Odroizzi and its a great reset. Cain and Jefferess are easily replaced with players already in the system(see Schafer).

"He just shows a skill set that's special," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's not the finished product ... there's no doubt that there's some growth that has to happen with Seggy, and it will over time. He's a talented guy, and when he gets his opportunity, he'll be ready for it."

Segura said he'd play whenever and wherever the team wanted him to. But he acknowledged that the Angels have a business decision to make about his future.

"I'm not worrying about getting traded," he said. "I'm here, and I want to be part of the Angels, but if they did (trade me), it's OK. It's (their) job."

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/angels-365653-segura-team.html

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

"He just shows a skill set that's special," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's not the finished product ... there's no doubt that there's some growth that has to happen with Seggy,

I guess we know where Roenicke gets it from.

From Baseball America:

2. Jean Segura, ss Born: March 17, 1990 B-T: R-R Ht.: 5-11 Wt.: 160

Signed: Dominican Republic, 2007. Signed by: Leo Perez.

Jean SeguraBackground: After a broken ankle in 2008 and broken finger in 2009, Segura stayed healthy and broke out in 2010 at low Class A Cedar Rapids. But the injury bug returned last year as he missed all but 52 games with a torn hamstring.

Scouting Report: Segura matured as a hitter in 2011, demonstrating a willingness to use the entire field and a more patient approach that put him in hitter's counts more frequently. His strength and explosive, quick-twitch actions excite evaluators almost as much as his short, direct swing. His bat is lightning-quick, and he could consistently bat .290 with as many as 20 homers at his peak because he hits all types of pitches. Scouts regard Segura as an above-average runner, though they qualify that grade by describing his body type as "heavy-legged" or "thick." His arm also grades as plus, which prompted the Angels to move Segura from second base to shortstop last year. His hands and throwing accuracy probably won't play at the position long-term. He has average range at both spots.

The Future: Despite his injuries, the Angels protected Segura on the 40-man roster in November. He could play shortstop as he climbs to Double-A, but most scouts expect him to man the keystone in the majors, and no later than 2013—if he stays healthy.

4. Johnny Hellweg, rhp Born: Oct. 29, 1988 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-9 Wt.: 210

Drafted: Florida CC-Jacksonville, 2008 (16th round). Signed by: Tom Kotchman.

Johnny HellwegBackground: Signed for $150,000 as a 16th-round selection in 2008, Hellweg walked 129 batters in his first 122 pro innings while working almost exclusively as a reliever. He took off after the Angels shifted him to the rotation at high Class A Inland Empire last June, recording a 2.12 ERA and 80-24 K-BB ratio in 14 starts.

Scouting Report: Starting every fifth day allowed Hellweg to work on improving his direction to the plate and repeating his arm path during side sessions. Pacing himself also forced him to throttle back his fastball a bit, resulting in dramatically better control. With an almost effortless delivery, Hellweg tops out near 100 mph and sits at 95-97 with his fastball, which features late sink that induces plenty of grounders. He has improved the command of his low-80s breaking ball, which more often resembles a slider with plus lateral break but occasionally resembles a knee-buckling curve when he stays on top of the pitch. He tends to throw his decent changeup with too much velocity, and he used it only sparingly in 2011.

The Future: Tall and skinny, Hellweg still is growing into his frame and velocity, but if he holds onto his control gains he has No. 2 starter potential. The Angels added him to the 40-man roster in November and Double-A awaits him in 2012.

9. Ariel Pena, rhp Born: May 20, 1989 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 190

Signed: Dominican Republic, 2007. Signed by: Freddy Rodriguez.

Ariel PenaBackground: Signed as a 17-year-old, Pena spent three years in Rookie ball and has pitched just four innings above Class A in five pro seasons. After he ranked second in the high Class A California League with 180 strikeouts last year, he earned a place on the Angels' 40-man roster in November.

Scouting Report: Pena always has shown plus velocity on his fastball and slider, but his shaky command has held him back. He sits at 92-94 mph with his sinker and touches 98 with his four-seamer, showing explosive life when he stays on top of the ball. He throws a hard, late slider at 82-86 mph, getting both called strikes and swings and misses. He flashes a fringy changeup in the low 80s but lacks consistent feel for it. Though he's big and durable, Pena's delivery features enough effort to prompt some scouts to project him as a reliever. He leaves too many pitches up and to his arm side, while he also jabs at the back of his arm stroke and often loses balance in his delivery, causing his arm to rush to catch up with the rest of his body.

The Future: Pena can be nearly unhittable when his fastball and slider are working, but he'll have to cut his walk rate (5.3 per nine innings in full-season leagues) to stay in the rotation. He'll begin 2012 in Double-A.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

BASEBALL: Segura a hot prospect for the Angels

By Landon Hall, The Orange County Register

Posted: 07/26/2012 09:46:28 PM PDT

ANAHEIM - Angels hitting coach Jim Eppard tells a story that helps show why the team is so high on shortstop Jean Segura.

It was 2009, and Segura, then only 19, was playing for the Angels' Single-A rookie team in Orem, Utah. He had filled in wonderfully during a brief stint with Triple-A Salt Lake City, hitting .421 in seven games as an emergency fill-in.

"He walked in the place and acted like he belonged there," said Eppard, who was then the Bees' hitting coach.

Even after Segura went back to Orem, a 45-minute drive, he couldn't stay away from the Triple-A club.

"Orem had an off day and we were playing," Eppard said. "He came up to Salt Lake, and he just came in the clubhouse and sat down on the couch. I was like, `What are you doing here?' He said, `Hey I had an off day, I had nothing else to do, so I came up here.' He's a baseball rat."

The Angels might be forced to part ways with Segura before they've even had a chance to work with him extensively. Now 22, the Dominican is the organization's top prospect, and if the Angels pull the trigger on a trade for a starting pitcher, Segura could be a major component. Outfielder Peter Bourjos, starting pitcher Garrett Richards and catcher Hank Conger are other young Angels frequently named as possible bargaining chips, but Segura also is highly regarded.

The Milwaukee Brewers are fielding calls for their coveted starter Zack Greinke, and Journal Sentinel writer Tom Haudricourt

wrote that the Brewers "much prefer" Segura to Richards.

Segura made his major league debut Tuesday in the Angels' 4-1 loss to Kansas City. He'd been called up from Double-A Arkansas, ostensibly to provide roster depth after Erick Aybar injured his right big toe when he fouled a pitch off his foot Saturday.

But the move also allowed other teams to get a peek at him.

Segura, who grew up playing second base but switched to shortstop, has been playing increasingly well this season after being slowed by a leg injury last year. In 94 games with Arkansas, he has hit .294 with seven home runs, 40 RBIs and 33 steals. He went 2 for 3 in the All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City on July 8. And last Saturday he was having a 2-for-3 night with a triple when the Angels summoned him; he was pulled in the seventh inning.

"This is my dream," he said before Tuesday's game. "They don't call too many players from Double-A to the big leagues. Probably they need me, and they called me up because they think I can play in the big leagues."

Yet his chances of becoming an everyday player with the Angels diminished sharply when they locked up their middle infield for the next several years: Over the winter they signed second baseman Howie Kendrick to a four-year, $33.5 million contract extension that will keep him in Anaheim through the 2015 season. In April, Aybar signed a four-year, $35 million extension that will keep him with the team through 2016.

Segura went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts against the Royals, but too much shouldn't be drawn from that one game. Starter Will Smith was mowing down the whole Angels order that night. Segura saw seven pitches from him, and he didn't put a ball in play until he faced reliever Greg Holland in the eighth. His grounder was misplayed by second baseman Chris Getz for an error.

Segura was then erased on a double play after Maicer Izturis' ground ball, so the Angels didn't get a chance to see Segura show off his speed, either.

He broke an ankle and a finger in 2008, and after a great 2010 at Single-A Cedar Rapids - he led the Midwest League with 161 hits and 50 steals - he played in only 43 games in 2011 for Inland Empire, the Angels' Single-A advanced team, because of an injured left hamstring.

But the Angels like his range and his arm in the field. As a hitter, he's patient and can hit for power, a rare combination in a shortstop.

"He just shows a skill set that's special," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.

"He's not the finished product ... there's no doubt that there's some growth that has to happen with Seggy, and it will over time. He's a talented guy, and when he gets his opportunity, he'll be ready for it."

Whether that opportunity comes with the Angels or another team isn't yet known.

If Aybar has to go on the disabled list, the Angels might call up infielder Andrew Romine from Salt Lake and send Segura back to Little Rock. Or deal him.

Segura said he'd play whenever and wherever the team wants. But he acknowledged that the Angels have a business decision to make about his future.

"I'm not worrying about getting traded," he said. "I'm here, and I want to be part of the Angels, but if they did (trade me), it's OK. It's (their) job."

With a nickname like Seggy, Roenicke will certainly like him, right?

I wonder how long it will be until we hear about plans for Segura. He seems to have better pop in his bat than Escobar ever did, and his batting lines seem to stack up pretty well to Escobar's. I don't think his defense is as highly regarded, correct?

I know a lot on these boards follow minor leagues at a high level. Some may have even seen some of the kids we aquired. I am curious as to how good a trade this is. On the outside it seems good.

I saw Pena pitch vs the T-Rats in 2010 I think... I have no memory of it, but I just looked at all my starting line-up sheets when the t-rats played the Cedar Rapids Kernals, and he was listed as the starting pitcher for one game.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

"He just shows a skill set that's special," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's not the finished product ... there's no doubt that there's some growth that has to happen with Seggy, and it will over time. He's a talented guy, and when he gets his opportunity, he'll be ready for it."

Looks like he will fit right in. Already has the Roenicke nickname taken care of. ;)

All 3 would be top 10 in our system.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Apparently the Brewers demanded Olt, but the Rangers refused so they went with the Angels instead.

That a way, Doug.

This should throw the Rangers into panic mode!!!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived