Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know a lot on these boards follow minor leagues at a high level. Some may have even seen some of the kids we aquired. I am curious as to how good a trade this is. On the outside it seems good.

I'm thrilled, Segura is a bigtime SS talent... that ain't easy to find... he hit .294 in AAA this year as a 22 year old, .346 OBP, 33 SB's in 97 games.... this is our new starting SS and soon to be lead-off hitter for the next 4-5-6 years

I wonder if the plan is to put him in MLB right away? I'm assuming he'd easily outperform Izturis and/or Ransom already, but I'm wondering about the service time. That said, they might want to sell this trade by putting him in the bigs from day 1.

Btw here's Keith Law on Hellwig before the season.

On Hellweg:

Hellweg has always had a huge fastball but couldn't locate anything, walking more than a man an inning from his pro debut until the Angels moved him from the bullpen to the Inland Empire rotation in early June. After the transition, he wasn't exactly Greg Maddux, but his control went from grade-20 to 45, to the point that he's now a real prospect instead of a curiosity.

Just looking at the BA pre-season rankings, we got their two top minor league pitchers (the other two were Richards who is already in MLB and Tillman, who is down to high-A) and their top minor league prospect, period (only Trout was ranked higher).

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/215/applauseqk0.gif

The question is were the Brewers prospects they traded for Greinke better? And then you factor in a year and a half of Greinke and the Brewers made out pretty well.

I was thinking the same thing. On a player-for-player basis, the trades basically cancel each other out, plus we got Greinke for a while. Obviously, we'll have to see if the players pan out, but hey, not a bad job at all by DM today.

Segura blows Escobar away as the better prospect right? Escobar was no where near Top 50. No Odorizzi in the deal either; but we Zack for 2 years, Angels get him for 10 starts

Uhh, what? Escobar was 19th in 2009 and 12th in 2010.

Apparently the Brewers demanded Olt, but the Rangers refused so they went with the Angels instead.

That makes me feel better about this trade. Olt was who I really wanted, so I'm glad we tried to get him. If he wasn't able to be had, this is a nice fallback.

Archived