Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj

Well, I still tried to source the "quote" but can't come up with it even in the Chuck and Wickett audio archives. (Their text archive is auto-generated and a complete mess to try to read and comprehend.)

I may have missed it, because you can't just download the whole show, you have to download segments, but I've gone through a lot of the audio that I could download and I can't see where this was discussed on their show yesterday. In fact, from what I could find, they only seemed to talk about Greinke possibly coming back for a couple of minutes at the end of the show. However they did discuss at length today about if Greinke would come back (including asking Lucroy his feeling on if Greinke would return) and this supposed clip never got mentioned once in that conversation.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry, next time I hear something I know the board won't like, I won't even think twice before finding a concrete source before posting it. Lesson learned.

You need to quit pretending that people want to find/read/hear the source because you've broken their hearts. I'm pretty sure the majority of the board is objective enough to realize the reality on Greinke not likely being back.

Well, I still tried to source the "quote" but can't come up with it even in the Chuck and Wickett audio archives. (Their text archive is auto-generated and a complete mess to try to read and comprehend.)

I may have missed it, because you can't just download the whole show, you have to download segments, but I've gone through a lot of the audio that I could download and I can't see where this was discussed on their show yesterday. In fact, from what I could find, they only seemed to talk about Greinke possibly coming back for a couple of minutes at the end of the show. However they did discuss at length today about if Greinke would come back (including asking Lucroy his feeling on if Greinke would return) and this supposed clip never got mentioned once in that conversation.

That's because myself and the SoCal guy completely made it up for attention.

We could use both right now...

We should have a "Mediocre But Loved Milwaukee Bullpen Alumni Association" (MBLMBAA) start during September. Sign guys like Derrick Turnbow and Matt Wise to each throw until their arms fall off and see what happens.

That's because myself and the SoCal guy completely made it up for attention.

You don't seem to be grasping the problem people have with your "quote".

Try whatever station Tom Pipines is on. I saw it on the late news after we got back from the Brewers game Saturday night. I remember it was him because I thought to myself...wow, this guy is still on TV.

The guy I quoted in that post (pretendastronaut) with my blue lettering was insinuating that I made the whole thing up. Hence my rebuttal.

Look I don't care anymore. If you think I made it up, am trolling, am embellishing, am adding on my own two cents and passing it off as Greinke saying it, whatever, that's fine. Think what you want. I know what I heard.

You can be as snarky as you want slapzilla, I'm just trying to actually source the quote instead of throwing a tantrum.

Anyway, I finally found a majority of the quote. It wasn't after the game, it was in his press conference on Saturday. Unfortunately the clip cuts right before the key line in question: http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23435161&c_id=mlb

Thank you for finding that! Seriously!

I swear they quoted that on chuck and wickett and the 'I'll never pitch in the NL again' or whatever was said along with it.

Whoever read that quote from Greinke on the show, that stemmed from the link above finished the quote saying Greinke did not want to pitch in the NL again. I honestly didn't make it up.

Honestly, who cares? I highly doubt whether his lack of affinity for hitting will make the slightest bit of difference in where he ends up. Greinke is going to the highest bidder this off-season, and that most certainly won't be the Brewers.

I'd take what Greinke says over false hope rants from LucRoy.

Hey, Zack had fun in Milwaukee, liked it here, awesome. Good to know Jon. Thanks for sharing.

Who's to say he won't have just as much fun or more fun in LA to the tune of $150M over 5yrs and knowing that he's on a for-sure contender for years to come.

Just saying, hanging on what LuCroy said this morning seems fairly weak towards the debate when you think about it.

Honestly, who cares? I highly doubt whether his lack of affinity for hitting will make the slightest bit of difference in where he ends up. Greinke is going to the highest bidder this off-season, and that most certainly won't be the Brewers.

Exactly. Quite the hijack just to nitpick an absolute throw away quote vs. a paraphrased throw away quote.

Did you listen to the interview? All he said was that he thought ZG had a chance of coming back to Milwaukee and that he was pretty sure he wouldn't play in New York or Boston. I'm not saying that another team like LA or Texas won't out bid Milwaukee, but I don't think it is ONLY coming down to money.

I heard the interview loud and clear. He gave a lot of false hope as far as ZG coming back to Milwaukee goes. Wickett kept pushing that even.

If you look at the blurb they (1250) put on facebook regarding talking to LucrOy, here's the first comment regarding it...

Sounds like Luc believes Zack could be coming back in the off season. interesting..

Quite the hijack just to nitpick an absolute throw away quote vs. a paraphrased throw away quote.
Touche'

And I believe he COULD be coming back, he also COULD NOT be coming back. I'm not putting all my hopes and dreams into him coming back, but to completely write it off like you would most other upper tier FAs is not valid based on the type of person that Zack is. The teams that can offer the most money are the places he would least like to go.

The interview with Lucroy seems to disagree with you RockCo and I think he knows what Greinke is thinking a little better than you do.

If Greinke wanted to stay here that bad, he would have signed on the line which is dotted (to quote one of my favorite cinematic scenes of all time). Hey, I'd love to be wrong, but haven't we seen this before, along with all the right quotes from the right people? I was blindly optimistic that the Crew may have been able to retain C.C. or Prince, but no more. In my view, this is even a bigger longshot than those two were, because Greinke isn't even with the team anymore. Both C.C. and Prince 'loved it' here as well by all accounts, but they loved the extra 8-9 figures in their bank accounts even more.

I don't know, I don't look at it so black and white. Maybe he just wants to go through the process of Free Agency to see what its like to be wanted by 22 different teams? I think that would be pretty darn cool to be getting calls saying "We'll do this for you here, and we'll do this for your family." Just seems like a pretty awesome thing for a guy that has become one of the elite players at his craft. He will never be as wanted as he will be this off-season.

Do I think it is a good chance we resign him? No. But out of him, CC, and Prince, I think the chances of Greinke resigning the greatest by far.

The interview with Lucroy seems to disagree with you RockCo and I think he knows what Greinke is thinking a little better than you do.

If Greinke wanted to stay here that bad, he would have signed on the line which is dotted (to quote one of my favorite cinematic scenes of all time). Hey, I'd love to be wrong, but haven't we seen this before, along with all the right quotes from the right people? I was blindly optimistic that the Crew may have been able to retain C.C. or Prince, but no more. In my view, this is even a bigger longshot than those two were, because Greinke isn't even with the team anymore. Both C.C. and Prince 'loved it' here as well by all accounts, but they loved the extra 8-9 figures in their bank accounts even more.

Maybe Greinke, the scout in him, told him the best route is to be traded and pitch 2 months for the Angels while getting a stud SS and some pitchers that could help him when he comes back to Milwaukee. Who knows? Who really knows...?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Greinke is a unique enough of a person, and at the same time such a serious baseball junkie, that the chance of him re-signing is something I think actually has a much better chance of happening than of CC or Prince re-signing.

How slim the odds actually are, only Greinke knows.

I just hope the Angels fall flat so that some lustre will come off that rose and keep the Brewers in play a bit more.

Maybe Greinke, the scout in him, told him the best route is to be traded and pitch 2 months for the Angels while getting a stud SS and some pitchers that could help him when he comes back to Milwaukee. Who knows? Who really knows...?

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong here. I just don't see anyone leaving 100 million dollars on the table, along with the financial security it would bring their family for such a scenario- considering the risk involved every time that a pitcher toes the rubber. I also don't see anyone leaving that money behind solely to 'compete'. I think that ZG has his 'eyes on the prize', and that prize will likely come in December from a large market team who will blow the Brewer offer out of the water.

That said, reportedly ZG did turn down a 100 million extension from Washington, so maybe he would do that sort of thing. The major issue with that being at that time, he couldn't receive any competing offers. I can't see him turning down an offer from say.... the Dodgers, and leaving tens of millions on the table to sign here because he enjoyed his time with the Brewers.

In hindsight, I think that Melvin could have locked him up last winter when it was apparent that Prince wouldn't come back, but I think that ship has sailed.

Take the emotion out of it. Greinke chose free agency because he wants to see what the market would pay him. It's as easy as that. The only real hope for the Brewers to sign Greinke is for the market to not be nearly as high as he hopes. If the top offer is close to what the Brewers offered, and he has some reason not to want to play for the city/team making the offer, then he could fall back to the Brewers' offer, assuming it is still on the table. He's not going to turn down a $150MM deal to take the Brewers' $112MM (or whatever they offered) deal, but he may turn down a $115MM deal, or at least call the Brewers to see if they'd pony up the additional $3MM. Or, there is always the chance that no one offers more than the Brewers offered.

We can assume the market offer is going to be well above the Brewers' offer, but until the offseason, we won't know.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Fair enough, but I did not add my own interpretation and quoted it as fact. I typed it as I heard it.

Don't worry, next time I hear something I know the board won't like, I won't even think twice before finding a concrete source before posting it. Lesson learned.

It has nothing to do with what is liked or disliked; it has everything to do with integrity. This is what makes BF.Net head and shoulders above the rest of what's out there. If I read something on here, I'm quite confident that it is accurate. I'd rather that you didn't take that luxury away from me, even unknowingly.

Persons posting on this forum have always been held to pretty high standards, not just by the mods, but by each other as well. You're not being singled out, you're just being asked to adhere to those same standards.

Archived