Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
"I'm glad I'm not in the NL anymore. Having to bat is too much of a distraction. After you pitch, you go into the dugout, and instead of thinking about the next 3 batters you have to face, you have to think about your next at bat. I'll never pitch in the NL again"I did see a comment he made on the local (Milwaukee) news about hitting being a distraction, which was surprising...but I don't recall him saying "I'll never pitch in the NL again". I think you are taking some liberty with that quote.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see Segura coming up this year and getting any meaningful playing time. I would honestly be kind of surprised to see him up before next June. Then we would get an extra year of service time. He hasn't even had a full year worth of PA in AA let alone much time in AAA. Of all the SS in our organization he is probably the best but that really isn't a reason to bring him up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

"I'm glad I'm not in the NL anymore. Having to bat is too much of a distraction. After you pitch, you go into the dugout, and instead of thinking about the next 3 batters you have to face, you have to think about your next at bat. I'll never pitch in the NL again"I did see a comment he made on the local (Milwaukee) news about hitting being a distraction, which was surprising...but I don't recall him saying "I'll never pitch in the NL again". I think you are taking some liberty with that quote.
I got it off of the Chuck and Wickett show on WSSP. Heard the quote driving into work yesterday. When you all blasted me for a source, I went and asked Wickett and Chuck for a source via twitter and facebook, and neither responded to me, hence why I haven't even responded to this thread until now.

It comes off as something goofy, something which Greinke is known for doing (saying goofy stuff) but if you look at the post where I put that quote, even I said "I thought he said he liked coming to the NL to hit" myself.

Maybe it is horsehockey, I don't know. I didn't make it up though.

Maybe it is horsehockey, I don't know. I didn't make it up though.

So if you didn't make it up... you attributed a direct quote to someone based on just your memory from something you heard in the car on the way to work. Why would anyone do that without acknowledging, 'Hey, this is something I heard on the radio...'? Weird.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I figured when I typed the quote on the board it be easy to find the source if someone called me on it since it was said on the radio. Note someone else above "SoCal Brew Crew fan" said he heard a similar quote.

What are you more upset about? That I fired off a quote that I can't find a concrete source for, or that I further pushed the whole "Zack isn't coming back to Milw, deal with it".

I think the only reason you and others care so much is because you still think/want Zack to resign in the offseason with the Brewers. Hey, I do as well, but sorry if I'm supporting reality. It's not happening.

Feel free to bury the quote and call me a troll if it helps you sleep at night. Fact is I didn't make it up to support any argument or debate. I even disputed myself in the same post ffs. Look, I WANT Zack to resign with Milwaukee. I WISH he would and that it's a possibility, but it's not, and I think it's ridiculous that people waste their time talking about it.

You should have immediately said that you heard it on Chuck and Wickett. The way it was posted, it sounded like the so-called quote was common knowledge.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What are you more upset about?

That it's annoying. Also, I personally find it ridiculous that anyone would attribute a direct quote to anybody else... without it being a direct quote. But hey, guess I'm crazy about not faking direct quotes from people. All it would've taken is mentioning that you were paraphrasing. You do realize that something like that can reflect poorly on BF as an entity, right? And I don't mean like 'OMG you hurt everyone's feelings!' I mean like someone could see that quote, run with it, & attribute it to BF.net.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What are you more upset about?

That it's annoying. Also, I personally find it ridiculous that anyone would attribute a direct quote to anybody else... without it being a direct quote. But hey, guess I'm crazy about not faking direct quotes from people. All it would've taken is mentioning that you were paraphrasing. You do realize that something like that can reflect poorly on BF as an entity, right? And I don't mean like 'OMG you hurt everyone's feelings!' I mean like someone could see that quote, run with it, & attribute it to BF.net.

"Hey, I heard the Brewers are trading for Adam Dunn."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You should have immediately said that you heard it on Chuck and Wickett. The way it was posted, it sounded like the so-called quote was common knowledge.
If it was so common knowlege I probably wouldn't have disputed it myself in the exact same post, especially considering what side of the spectrum I'm on. I agree though I should have said I heard it on Chuck and Wickett. I just didn't think I had to drop their show and assumed I could just come back with the source if needed.

I was asked for a source, so I tweeted and facebooked Chuck and Wickett, asking for a source. Neither provided me with a source, so I came back into this thread this morning pointing out just that. I assumed since they said it on the air they'd get back to me quick with a source. They didn't. The fact that I (again) disputed the quote myself in the same exact post should have maybe pointed out my own skepticism maybe?

I made the post with the quote, waited for a source, didn't get one, so in turn I addressed the issue in my very next post on the subject. Not sure what else I could have done other than not repeated something I heard on the radio.

Not sure what else I could have done other than not repeated something I heard on the radio.

All that would have been needed is to not put it in quotes. That made it look like the words came directly from Greinke's mouth. It doesn't sound like he ever said "I'll never pitch in the NL again." To me, that was the biggest part of the supposed quote.

The words didn't come out of my mouth so that's why I felt the quotes were needed.

I'm done with the topic. Sorry if I posted something inaccurate. I should have been more skeptic when I disputed it myself even.

I figured when I typed the quote on the board it be easy to find the source if someone called me on it since it was said on the radio. Note someone else above "SoCal Brew Crew fan" said he heard a similar quote.

What are you more upset about? That I fired off a quote that I can't find a concrete source for, or that I further pushed the whole "Zack isn't coming back to Milw, deal with it".

I think the only reason you and others care so much is because you still think/want Zack to resign in the offseason with the Brewers. Hey, I do as well, but sorry if I'm supporting reality. It's not happening.

Feel free to bury the quote and call me a troll if it helps you sleep at night. Fact is I didn't make it up to support any argument or debate. I even disputed myself in the same post ffs. Look, I WANT Zack to resign with Milwaukee. I WISH he would and that it's a possibility, but it's not, and I think it's ridiculous that people waste their time talking about it.

Yes I did hear the quote, however I didn't hear it the way you did. You took what you heard and added your own interpretation and quoted it as fact. This seems to be a running theme in some of your posts.

I understand sometimes it's difficult to find a link to things you hear on the radio or see on TV, but my suggestion for the future would be qualifying the quote. "I heard something to the effect of..." "I heard on xyz which sounded like..." "Did anyone else hear what I thought I did..." I believe this would help your credibility and add to the discussion. The quotes from Greinke were certainly interesting and different from what he's said in the past. Discussing the quotes is completely legit. I haven't been able to find the exact quotes either.

I probably heard the same quotes you did and interpreted them as Zack simply comparing the AL & NL and the advantages of not having to bat. In many ways it just sounded like Zack being Zack. I did not draw the same conclusion that this means he'll sign with an AL club nor did I hear him say I'll never play in the NL again.

Fair enough, but I did not add my own interpretation and quoted it as fact. I typed it as I heard it.

Don't worry, next time I hear something I know the board won't like, I won't even think twice before finding a concrete source before posting it. Lesson learned.

Fair enough, but I did not add my own interpretation and quoted it as fact. I typed it as I heard it.

Don't worry, next time I hear something I know the board won't like, I won't even think twice before finding a concrete source before posting it. Lesson learned.

It doesn't fit with your passive-aggressiveness, but you should do that with any quote, regardless of what you anticipate the reaction to be.

It's not that people didn't like it. It's that the quote sounded very unbelievable, or at least out of context.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This is not difficult stuff:

1. When you are paraphrasing, make it clear that you are paraphrasing. The opposite of that would be to put it in quotes.

2. Whether you are paraphrasing or directly quoting, provide a source.

3. Always follow rules 1 and 2, regardless of whether you believe your audience will like it, hate it, or will be indifferent towards it.

Archived