Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Angels for three prospects; Rangers nearly won the bidding (Latest: revisiting this trade in December 2015; post 481)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His first year in the league, he was last in range factor in the league…

Range factor doesn't tell us much about range (or anything else really). If a team's pitchers strike out a lot of batters, its defenders' range factors go down.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_21177322

Everyone associated with the Angels is delusional with their love of Peter Bourjos.

The dude is Carlos Gomez yet they act like he's Ryan Braun.

I couldn't agree more; he's 25 years old and even his minor league stats were never that mind-blowing. I'm much more excited to have Segura than I would be if we had gotten Bourjos.

Sounds like Melvin got a very good haul. That said, I get the feeling that Segura won't be able to stick at SS, which means he will start there for at least a full season. He's destined for 2B... which complicated things.

Not necessarily, Segura might hit well enough to slide to 3B and one would think he could be average there if he doesn't stick at SS, he certainly has the arm to play 3B.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Didn't get to weigh in on this last night, as I was at a surprise birthday party for one of my aunts. Anyway, I like the trade. We all knew Melvin had to trade Greinke, and it sounds like he got some low floor/high ceiling guys, which is the opposite of what a lot of people figured he'd get back.

Segura excites me, and a 6'9 fireballer is always nice to have around.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com weighs in on the return for the Brewers, including some video of Segura & Hellweg.

Man that video sounds like it came from the Brewer's media relation not an independent scout like Mayo. He was really high on the three guys. Said Segura had a plus arm and plus range. Said Hellweg's upside is a top of the rotation starter. Has a plus fastball and plus offspeed stuff. Said Pena has plus fastball and a plus breaking ball and if he has figured out command issues will be a solid starter but could be a late-inning guy as well.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_21177322

Everyone associated with the Angels is delusional with their love of Peter Bourjos.

The dude is Carlos Gomez yet they act like he's Ryan Braun.

I am so happy Bourjos isnt in the deal. I am not a huge fan of the guy and I would have been so disappointed if he was anything close to the centerpiece of the deal.

I personally really like the trade. Was really getting excited to land Olt but that doesnt seem like it was realistic now so Segura was my 2nd choice. The two pitchers we got back do seem like legit prospects and our pitching in the minors is absolutely stacked with potential 2-4 starters.

Zack Greinke just stated it is a "definite possibility" he could return to the Brewers next year. Take it as a grain of salt, or something meaningful. I found it encouraging he said something like that.

He genuinely loves it in Milwaukee. As others have mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, it really isn't likely that the Brewers would, or even could, put that much $$$ into one pitcher (and I will add, especially a pitcher with a 113 ERA+!)

That said... if we could get him back, it's like getting Segura and two young gun pitchers for a two-month rental of Greinke.

I know the money is an issue, but I'd rather have a 1-2 of Greinke and Gallardo with a wealth of options (Fiers, Rogers, Thornburg, Bradley, Jungmann, Pena, Hellweg, Peralta) behind them, than to just have Gallardo at the top of the rotation. Remember his knee injury in `08? A little margin for the "oh, crap" moments is not a bad thing, and if Marcum and Wolf go, that is about $18 million, so it's not that big of a hit on net.

Hellweg really isn't 7 feet tall is he, that author has to be exaggerating? Pretty exciting if the guy can sit at 99-101; although you would expect better K numbers. All three played in a pitchers park this year so perhaps Segura's numbers are deflated a bit and the pitchers a little inflated.

Of course Greinke is going to say that coming back to Milwaukee is an option. He's going to keep all options on the table to drive up his eventual huge contract price.

I know I've repeated this ad nauseum, but don't folks remember what happened with Prince and CC? We heard all the same talk, "Oh, CC loves it hear, the city has embraced him, etc." "Prince is happy in Milwaukee and wants to stay and be with his buddy Rickie." Don't fall for it and you won't be disappointed. I'm sure Angels fans are thinking right now, "He's going to love pitching here and we have a good chance to re-sign him..."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member

Brewers scouts traded for a SS and they are playing him at SS for the time being. Angels development specifically moved him to SS (even though they already have Aybar at the MLB level).

I see zero reason to conclude that he will need to move. I'm not even sure how BA could conclude coming into the season that he won't stick there, when this his is first season trying the position. By all accounts he has an above-average arm and is very quick. Maybe he'll never have superstar range or hands, but it sounds like he has the tools to stick there -- you can't teach having a good arm, other things can be learned through experience.

I know I've repeated this ad nauseum, but don't folks remember what happened with Prince and CC? We heard all the same talk, "Oh, CC loves it hear, the city has embraced him, etc." "Prince is happy in Milwaukee and wants to stay and be with his buddy Rickie." Don't fall for it and you won't be disappointed. I'm sure Angels fans are thinking right now, "He's going to love pitching here and we have a good chance to re-sign him..."

Of course. And let's remember that the Brewers offered CC and Prince 5/$100, while the Yanks and Tigers signed them for 7/$161 and 9/$204. Both of those guys might have preferred Milwaukee to their final landing spots, holding all else equal. They just clearly preferred NY/DET+$60-$100MM to Milwaukee.

Greinke is a bit different because I imagine the Brewers' offer of 5/$110 will be much closer to his eventual FA contract. With the way the FA market seems to go these days, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greinke "settle" for 5/$100 and I also wouldn't be surprised to see him bring in 7/$150. Either way, the Brewers' offer to Greinke will be much more competitive than their offers to Prince and CC.

I don't like trading guys away and i dont like losing guys in FA. However, that is life as a MLB club not in a major Market.

I think we did just fine in our return for Zach. It's unfortunate we couldn't keep him.

Would I do it all over again if given the chance? I don't know....CC, Marcum, and Zach really toasted our minors...yet none of those we traded have become anything special...yet. Lawrie and Escobar are close.

I'm happy with the deal. All 3 players project to be major league players though none as all stars. That is better than the 32nd pick in the draft or whatever we were going to get instead.

Hellweg is 6'9" and throws hard but doesn't seem to get the strike outs you would expect, not 7 feet but close.

Love this deal. I've watched Segura down at spring training several times. Can really hit and is very well built and fast. Pena looked good in the futures game.

Autographed Segura ball I have. Also have 4 signed cards from him

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/numberonewadefan/AZ%20Fall%20League%202011/JeanSegura.jpg

Love this deal. I've watched Segura down at spring training several times. Can really hit and is very well built and fast. Pena looked good in the futures game.]

Neat ball... however I'm not sure how anyone could qualify Pena's futures game performance as "looked good". I'm personally not holding that performance against him because if it had happened in a regular AA game MiLB would have covered of it and then it would have been forgotten within a week like all blow up starts for young pitchers in the minors.

The problem of course is that every GM, scout, and prospect guru is going to have that as their lasting image of him until he does something of significance in MLB.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not necessarily, Segura might hit well enough to slide to 3B and one would think he could be average there if he doesn't stick at SS, he certainly has the arm to play 3B.

True but that would just reduce his overall value even more. If he's not going tobe at ss,2b or cf, it just raises the bar for what he'll need to do with the stick.

Hellweg really isn't 7 feet tall is he, that author has to be exaggerating? Pretty exciting if the guy can sit at 99-101; although you would expect better K numbers. All three played in a pitchers park this year so perhaps Segura's numbers are deflated a bit and the pitchers a little inflated.

If I had to guess Hellweg's K numbers dropped with a full-time move to the rotation as he focused on control/mechanics and conserving energy. Good news is that his stuff isn't straight..his fastball has a lot of sink/tail action going on...the kind of thing that happens when you're 6'9" and throwing with such a downward plane. Think Kam Loe with big velo. Hopefully even if he doesn't have the impressive K numbers you'd expect with that stuff, he'll force a lot of groundballs.

Overall a really good deal for two months of Greinke, and more than I was expecting. Don't underestimate the power of supply&demand.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived