Brewer Fanatic

What would your reaction be to this rotation for August and September?

molitor fan

Marcum

Fiers

Peralta

Rogers

Thornburg?

Everyone knows that Mark A is looking to the attendance figures to some degree when determining what pieces to turn over, so would a complete overhaul to see what these youngsters can do be a disaster in terms of fan reaction?

I d think it unlikely that Gallardo would be traded, but who knows? In all reality, a pitcher we get in return for Greinke will go into a rotation spot, but if we traded for higher level pitching talent with more of a late 2013 ETA would that alienate a good number of fans?

I would rather have one more like this

6-man Rotation

Gallardo

Marcum

Fiers

Estrada

Thornburg/Peralta/Rogers (these three splitting the last 2 spots of 6 man rotation equally)

Btw... for further discussion on trading Gallardo, please visit the transactions page. We already have discussion going on the topic.

I think if they're taking this long to trade Greinke, that Gallardo would take Melvin even longer to get a respectful return for someone under control for 2+ years

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

6-man Rotation

Gallardo

Marcum

Fiers

Estrada

Thornburg/Peralta/Rogers (these three splitting the last 2 spots of 6 man rotation equally)

I am really into this for the month of September. Thornburg could be shutdown if need-be due to arm fatigue that he apparently now has... and you could "audition" Peralta/Rogers to spell Fiers, so he doesnt pitch too many innings this year.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I'm all for seeing what Thornburg, Peralta, and Rogers can do at the MLB level. This season is lost anyway.

That said, I don't think the average fan would appreciate seeing youngsters prove their mettle. I think people would stay away in droves because they would just see Milwaukee as giving up on really trying to win games.

I'd also like to see Burgos added to the 40 man, and given a callup in September. He's been unbelievable this season.

I'd like to see a rotation of :

Gallardo

Marcum

Fiers

Peralta

Thornburg

w/ Rogers, Burgos, Estrada coming out of the BP.

I think trading Gallardo is really stupid, but I'm all for filling the rest of the rotation with young dudes with something to prove. I'd rather they work out the kinks and stress of breaking into the big leagues when it doesn't matter much.

Thanks 502, Yoshii and chadomac for replying on point to the thread question.....I feel that own ownership/management feels like they are at a precipice, so to speak, as they have curried favor with the fanbase by greatly increasing competitiveness and salary and do not want to curtail that groundswell that has brought 3 million fans to the gates, and thus, allowed the salary to go towards 100 million.

The problem therein is something like what the Bucks face, in that they are mediocre and do not rebuild for fear of bottoming out. Obviously, this is not solely a trade/not trade Gallardo debate, but something from a broader paradigm.

i replied to the question, too?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The problem therein is something like what the Bucks face, in that they are mediocre and do not rebuild for fear of bottoming out. Obviously, this is not solely a trade/not trade Gallardo debate, but something from a broader paradigm.

I think a comparison to the Bucks is unfair considering they made the playoffs twice in recent memory and both teams probably had the rosters to make a serious run at the world series, they just didn't play very well either time. The team had a terrible season but as long as you have a solid core I don't think you blow the team up just to blow it up. Maybe if next year were the last for Braun and Gallardo that would make sense to just sort of give up but the way the team is set up right now you have to still try to win during this window.

Well, the idea of trading Gallardo does seem to be the major point of controversy in what you're proposing. We know Greinke is gone, and everybody will be happy if we can dump Wolf. Marcum's a variable, but only because of his health. The other somewhat controversial thing you're proposing is to send Estrada (presumably) to the pen, and that's an interesting idea. I expect he'll end up in the rotation next year, but his job description does still say "swingman."

I don't think trading Gallardo is a good idea, and if you don't trade him, there's no good reason to shut him down. I don't think the prospect of getting a look at Mark Rogers in the Milwaukee rotation makes trading Gallardo a better idea. Rogers has put together, what, three good starts in a row, for the first time in several years? I'd keep him right where he is; give him a chance to end his season strong and consolidate his gains. Thornburg presumably takes over for the second of Greinke and Wolf to depart, unless of course he's hurt or too fatigued, which he may be.

The interesting question that leaves is whether to send Estrada to the pen in order to get a look at Peralta in the rotation. I'd be somewhat miffed about that if I were Estrada; but whatever, send him a fruit basket. Peralta has a history of success, and he's righted himself in the second half. I don't see this as a highly consequential decision either way, because I think both will end up in the 2013 rotation whatever happens now. But if the team made this move, I wouldn't complain.

For me, my tickets are bought for the rest of the year and I'm going regardless. I'm not adding games and I'm not dropping games.

That said, you don't get to 3 million in attendance by appealing only to people like me.

The masses show up when there is a buzz, and unless the rookies are Gooden, Strasburg or Fernando, they're not creating buzz.

I hope they don't run the team based on drawing big crowds in August & September, 2012.

Do we really expect much from Rogers at this point? He's had a ~5 ERA in AAA this season. His best season was a ~3.75 ERA in AA as a 24 year old. Do we really expect him to post a <5 ERA in the majors next season if he's given the opportunity to start? Just look at his pitching line in AAA this season. It's not good.

Peralta at least has pretty good peripherals in AAA this season so a few starts to him couldn't hurt. I say they go Gallardo-Marcum-Estrada-Fiers-Peralta, and give Thornburg a couple of starts if they feel his arm is up for it. Fiers has clearly locked himself into the rotation for next season, and Estrada looks like a solid #5 starter.

I like the 6 man rotation idea. Marcum tired at the end of last season, now coming back from injury this season. Keeping innings off Gallardo's arm in a meaningless seson makes sense. Plus Fiers will throw a ton of innings this year at this pace. So how about:

Gallardo

Marcum

Fiers

Estrada

Burgos/Peralta (August)

Rogers/Thornburg (September)

This way, the four young goung guys know they'll pitch for one month. They don't have to get bothered by one guy getting a shot, and they don't. Or wonder why they're sent down after 4 starts. Set it in stone in advance, so all 4 guys know what the plan is. All four get a strong look.

Any problem you can foresee with this approach? I see it as a chance to get 4-5 starts from each of these 4 guys.

Rogers last 3 AAA starts - 19 innings - 9 hits - 2 runs - 5 walks - 20 k's

Reportedly hitting 98 on gun.

That is worth a look-see

Well, maybe if he continues to pitch like that for August he should get a few starts in September.

you cant really rely on ERA in the minors to dictate how a pitcher will be in the majors. there is a big difference in defensive skills that can skew a pitchers ERA in A/AA/AAA compared to the majors.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

you cant really rely on ERA in the minors to dictate how a pitcher will be in the majors. there is a big difference in defensive skills that can skew a pitchers ERA in A/AA/AAA compared to the majors.

It's his 1.5K/BB ratio that concerns me more than his ERA.

I'm not sure if Fiers will be starting in September. He only threw 126 innings last year and 125 the year before. He's at 114 2/3 now. I would think they'd probably limit him to 160 innings. So he's got another 7 or 8 starts. Do you skip him a few times and keep him starting or shift him to the pen in September?

Which is why his walks, k's, and pitch speed were posted.

If he gets hot, I'd like to bring him up and maybe get him some confidence.

Which is why his walks, k's, and pitch speed were posted.

If he gets hot, I'd like to bring him up and maybe get him some confidence.

my response was to Funketown's initial post with only ERA's posted

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Sorry, I was just being a bit lazy. Check out his line from this season: 7K/9, 4.7BB/9, 1.2 HR/9. I know he's pitched well lately but when a guy has been as bad as Rogers in AAA this season it's going to take more than 20 innings and good velocity to convince me that he deserves a spot in the rotation. Give him August, and if he dominates maybe give him a few starts.

pretty sure a september call up is the only option for rogers at this moment anyways. they're not going to bring him up earlier, even when Greinke is traded, there is no room in the rotation for him. Yo, Marcum, Wolf, estrada, Fiers, september bring in Peralta and Rogers to spell Fiers so he doesnt wear out.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived