Brewer Fanatic

Time to trade Gallardo?

Anybody think the Brewers could pry Tyler Skaggs and Matt Davidson away from Arizona for Gallardo, K-Rod and a Brewer prospect? D-Backs are certainly in position to go all in this year. I'm of the belief that Gallardo should stay barring a great offer so they should just aim high.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything is possible given the right circumstances. Davidson and Skaggs seems really steep for Gallardo/Rodriguez, but as someone mentioned earlier, it only takes one team to freak out and get desperate. So many teams are going to be in position for a playoff spot that a desperate enough team may emerge.

I just think that perception changes quite a bit as the deadline approaches. There are only going to be so many pitchers out there that can really make a difference. Gallardo would be one. Just about every team in contention needs one. The point is, I think Melvin needs to make the effort to trade whatever he can trade this season.

Trading whatever he can trade smacks of desperation. He doesn't have to trade Gallardo so he should wait until he's blown away by an offer and preferably one that fills a need not one that just adds random prospects. Skaggs and Davidson fit that bill for me.

Arizona already has a premier young lefty in Corbin which might make them think they can afford to part with Skaggs. As I said the Brewers could include a decent prospect in the deal too. Heath Bell and JJ Putz have been less than stellar in late relief so they have a need there as well.

If Lohse was on a 2year contract I'd believe that but that 3rd year just not going to look all to appealing to Baltimore. They also have a number of guys in Arb that they will either have to cut bait on or move in the bullpen. Guys like Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, and Gonzalez. My guess is they would send us one of them in the trade for Lohse plus a prospect but not to be anyone amazing.

What about two former top propsects in Matusz and Arrieta for Lohse and Henderson? The reasoning for me is simple...We get to get out of the Lohse contract. Our return could be worse and we get two former top propsects to throw at the wall and see if either of them stick. I would think these two are prime candidates for a change of scenery and given the right cicrumstance, i.e. out of the AL East, they may be reinvigorated. Additionally, they both aren't FAs until after 2016. While I think Lohse may be able to get something more, some 5 man combo of Matusz, Arrieta, Thornburg, Peralta, Nelson, Hellweg, Jungmann, Pena, combined with whatever we would get from a Gallardo & Ramirez trade (Barnes, Middlebrooks & Ranaudo from Boston?) could be the beginnings of a better than average rotation to pair with Braun, Lucroy, Segura & Gomez.

Honestly, the more I look at it the, more I feel the Brewers could be really good again really quick, given the right moves here in the next month.

Briggs, I don't get why you think the DBacks are in position to go allin this year? Honestly, they just need to stand pat with the IMMENSE young talent they have to grow stronger. Skaggs/Bradley with Corbin are going to be a formidable Staff after this year. Add Delgado who isn't a slouch and that's 4 #2s or higher for a pitching staff. Eaton has yet to take the field full-time. Davidson will replace Prado with Goldschmidt and Gregorious you can't ask for much better core to fill out a team with beyond this season. Montero at C. Aaron hill at 2b. Chris Owings to come up in case Gregorious or Hill go down next season. Parra in RF. That leaves LF/RPs and Bench players to buy in to for the next 4years only.

Again my aim high is on Toronto with Sanchez/Ozuna coming in return for Gallardo.

KC with Ventura/Mondesi and Cuthbert.

And then SD with Max Fried,Matthew Wisler, and Zach Eflin or Joe Ross.

SF with Crick and Statton plus a PTBNL which would work well to have to work around who else they bring in trade so they don't fill the same need twice over.

Trading whatever he can trade smacks of desperation. He doesn't have to trade Gallardo so he should wait until he's blown away by an offer and preferably one that fills a need not one that just adds random prospects. Skaggs and Davidson fit that bill for me.

Arizona already has a premier young lefty in Corbin which might make them think they can afford to part with Skaggs. As I said the Brewers could include a decent prospect in the deal too. Heath Bell and JJ Putz have been less than stellar in late relief so they have a need there as well.

Why? I said make the effort, not pull the trigger. I think everyone on this board is smart enough to understand that the right deal needs to be in place to, in fact, pull the trigger. I'm not suggesting that he trade Gallardo for a bag of peanuts, nor am I suggesting that every player on the roster should be dangled as bait.

However, this team is going nowhere this year or next, a least not as currently constructed. Anyone on this roster that is not going to be an effective player in three years (or have an albatross contract), with reasonable foresight, needs to be put on the block. This team is not young anymore, and the farm is certainly not ripe.

Skaggs/Davidson seems steep to me. That seems like a better package than Segura/Hellweg/Pena when that trade was made and Gallardo is no Greinke, though he does have an extra year. Nor do I see how having Corbin devalues Skaggs in the D'Backs eyes. Skaggs has always been rated as the better prospect, whey would they not just deal Corbin if they feel they only need one of them? I would think they could get a much better reliever than Rodriguez by Dangling Corbin.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Arizona is a bad partner. They are rumored to be looking for a SP. I like Skaggs and Davidson, either would become the best prospect in the system immediately. I would look at some combination of Skaggs/Owings/Chafin. Maybe for Gallardo, Axford, and/or Davis/Gindl/Quintana.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Arizona is a bad partner. They are rumored to be looking for a SP. I like Skaggs and Davidson, either would become the best prospect in the system immediately. I would look at some combination of Skaggs/Owings/Chafin. Maybe for Gallardo, Axford, and/or Davis/Gindl/Quintana.

I like everything you're saying, but I'm wondering -- Zach Quintana? That's the first time I've heard him mentioned. What made you think of him in particular as trade bait?

If Lohse was on a 2year contract I'd believe that but that 3rd year just not going to look all to appealing to Baltimore. They also have a number of guys in Arb that they will either have to cut bait on or move in the bullpen. Guys like Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, and Gonzalez. My guess is they would send us one of them in the trade for Lohse plus a prospect but not to be anyone amazing.

What about two former top propsects in Matusz and Arrieta for Lohse and Henderson? The reasoning for me is simple...We get to get out of the Lohse contract. Our return could be worse and we get two former top propsects to throw at the wall and see if either of them stick. I would think these two are prime candidates for a change of scenery and given the right cicrumstance, i.e. out of the AL East, they may be reinvigorated. Additionally, they both aren't FAs until after 2016. While I think Lohse may be able to get something more, some 5 man combo of Matusz, Arrieta, Thornburg, Peralta, Nelson, Hellweg, Jungmann, Pena, combined with whatever we would get from a Gallardo & Ramirez trade (Barnes, Middlebrooks & Ranaudo from Boston?) could be the beginnings of a better than average rotation to pair with Braun, Lucroy, Segura & Gomez.

Honestly, the more I look at it the, more I feel the Brewers could be really good again really quick, given the right moves here in the next month.

I'm just going to guess Baltimore will stick with Matusz as a RP vs. trading him. If we send them Lohse and Henderson, I'd expect Arrieta and Shoop in return. Henderson has a lot of value imo as a RP vs the likes of Axford/KRod due to cost/control and effectiveness.

The Boston trade proposal, here's the thing with Boston. I don't like them as competitors this season. I feel like in 3weeks time they will not only be out of 1st but possibly Last in the East. Which either they get desparate and make the kind of move you suggest, or become sellers themselves. Ellsbury/Napoli made available. I'm hoping they get desperate and believe they are WS contenders with a 3b/SP pieces to be added. I wouldn't take on Middlebrooks since 1 he's struggling, but 2 he's not a guy that gets OB via Walks. so he has to bat for Avg. I made a proposal to take him on earlier in another thread but that was because if Boston trades for ARam what do they do with Middlebrooks? Middlebrooks almost smells like a Casey McGehee future. I personally think a Lohse trade to Boston saving Barnes is what would be in store. Getting Webster or Owens along with someone else.

Saving Gallardo for some truly high upside prospects.

I believe the Dbacks are one of the other teams on Gallardo's no trade list. I do not have any proof of this but it is something I believe with his past comments on the AZ law on immigration that he would have the Dbacks as one of the teams on his no trade list.

I believe the Dbacks are one of the other teams on Gallardo's no trade list. I do not have any proof of this but it is something I believe with his past comments on the AZ law on immigration that he would have the Dbacks as one of the teams on his no trade list.

This sounds VERY familiar.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

A couple years ago he said he'd consider not going to the all-star game had he been selected because it was in Arizona. I could be mistaken, but I think he signed his contract extension before the whole Arizona ID thing went down.

I brought up the D-Backs "package" as an example not so much as a realistic trade possibility. Gallardo is not an asset you deal just to deal for some random prospect. You don't "need" to deal him. You shop him and hope somebody overpays with guys who make sense to the Brewers. Otherwise, it makes more sense to keep him.

So all of you who are picking on my idea, this was more about a scenario where it would make sense to deal your best pitcher not the specific scenario itself.

My apologies, certainly not trying to "pick on" your idea. The above quote made it seem as though you were trying to defend a proposal, not just a concept for a deal.

I understand that your position is that the Brewers need to be blown away in order to deal Gallardo. To a point, I agree. I just feel that the deal you suggested is beyond any deal that will ever be offered for Gallardo. If the D'Backs turned around and offered Skaggs, Chafin, and Owings, I would consider that a blow away offer.

Part of my problem is that the Brewers have been stung repeatedly by holding on to players into their last year. Hart is going to be another example of that. IMO this is about as good a year as any to deal Gallardo (and Lohse for that matter). The extra contract years add value and I'm just not sure he is not in a decline, at best he has leveled off. There are plenty of teams that need pitching and both Gallardo and Lohse are solid targets for teams with that need.

Witrado wrote an article about Yovani and mentioned the Orioles, Giants, Indians, Redsox, Rangers and the Padres as teams that could be interested.

Which got me thinking about a possible deal with the Indians. Would you guys trade Gallardo for a package around Trevor Bauer? I know it would still depend on the other pieces coming our way but that would be a nice start...

@WiscoSportsNut

And suddenly MLBTR posts:

Diamondbacks Interested In Gallardo, Samardzija

the Diamondbacks aren't interested(in Nolasco) because they prefer pitchers who are controlled beyond this season. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the D-Backs are interested in two pitchers in particular -- Yovani Gallardo and Jeff Samardzija.

FWIW, the Supreme Court last year struck down most of AZ's restrictive immigration law. I think a key state legislative architect of the law got recalled as well. Might make Yo more comfortable going there.

Would Skaggs and Davidson be a haul worthy enough for Gallardo?

Or do you leave the lesser of the big prospects and get volume? Davidson,Holmberg,Spruill plus younger guys like Barrett or Drury?

I think you can sort of do both. I'll start by assuming that Archie Bradley is out of the question (because he is), but I also think the Brewers can be a one stop shop for the D'Backs. They need bullpen help as well.

I think you can use Gallardo and maybe Rodriguez to get one of Davidson/Skaggs and add volume with maybe two of Tahan, Owens, or Chafin. I would guess the Brewers would need to include a minor league player as well.

Dude 80, I would have zero interest in Holmberg or Spruill, they just seem like more mid rotation starters at best. Barrett is strictly a bullpen arm. Drury is a guy I did not think of. Maybe Gallardo, Rodriguez, and Davis/Gindl for Skaggs, Chafin, and Drury would work.

Of course he could always waive his no trade clause and accept a deal. A lot of times big market teams are used as leverage.

After Gausman and Bundy, there's no much in Baltimore's system that I would want, especially for Yo.

"I think you can use Gallardo and maybe Rodriguez to get one of Davidson/Skaggs and add volume with maybe two of Tahan, Owens, or Chafin. I would guess the Brewers would need to include a minor league player as well."

Yoga and K Rod for Davidson and Scaggs along with Trahan and Chafin. If not, walk away.

Yoga is still in control for 2 1/2 years. That is very valuable. LAA gave use 3 very good prospects for 1/2 year of a ZG. I know ZG does not equal Yoga, but they are not that far apart. What is the extra two years of Yoga worth?

Archived