Brewer Fanatic

Time to trade Gallardo?

Yo had good stuff tonight, but it looked like he went from cruising to tired in one move. That has happened several times this season, I really think his "stuff" is fine...this may be conditioning and WBC impact.

Yo went six with a WHIP of 1, but managed to give up 3 ER, which is about as bad as the ERA could have been for his effort. If I were a scout at that game, I'd give a favorable report, but with the caveat of the fatigue happening fast.

If teams try to lowball the Brewers, I'd be willing to keep Yo right where he is, I'd bet he'll do better, not worse.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yo will be in Milwaukee for the rest of the season. I just don't foresee anyone offering the Brewers the type of return you would expect for someone with Yo's resume, minus this season of course. If Melvin isn't wowed, which I find less and less likely, then I expect him to be starting Opening Day 2014.

I agree. Why sell at the lowest point of his value over his entire career thus far. Let him start opening day as our ace next year. There is always an off chance we can compete, otherwise, Yo could reestablish himself as a low #1 or legitimate #2 again improving his trade value tremendously for next year. If he puts up a typical Yo year, we should get a greinke type haul for him.

Yo will be in Milwaukee for the rest of the season. I just don't foresee anyone offering the Brewers the type of return you would expect for someone with Yo's resume, minus this season of course. If Melvin isn't wowed, which I find less and less likely, then I expect him to be starting Opening Day 2014.

I tend to agree. Furthermore, I hope this is what happens. I dont care what Yo is in terms of where you 'slot' him. Is he a 2? 3? 4?. I frankly don't care. He's undoubtedly a major-league quality starting pitcher. Last time I checked you need to have at least 4 of them on your roster. Trading away Gallardo would put Milwaukee even further below that number than they already are. Yo is a piece to build around. IMO, trading him most likely puts you further away from where you want to be than you are at the moment you make the trade, both short term AND long-term. Sure, maybe they get lucky and roll a winning number on the trade. I just think it's a much lower probability move than keeping a reliable MLB-quality starting pitcher in the fold for an organization that, even in the best of times, rarely has many of them.

Yeah, I think they're better off holding onto Yo for now. Then hope that he finishes the season well to restore some of his value. I'd try to trade him in the offseason, but waiting until next year's deadline wouldn't be bad either. A good start to the season next year would help a lot. I think Lohse is who they should be shopping even harder right now. I feel like he could drop off at any point, and it's better to try to trade him now while he's pitching well. Granted, the right offer for Yo may happen to come along from a desperate team before the deadline, but I don't see it happening at this point. No point in dealing him if good offers aren't there. He's not a guy you trade just to trade.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

But on the flip side, waiting to trade Gallardo till the offseason or next year's trading deadline may not be smart either because he'd have less team control. And i'm sure it's not as if teams know he's better than his stats indicate this year. I say the sooner he's traded, the better.

But on the flip side, waiting to trade Gallardo till the offseason or next year's trading deadline may not be smart either because he'd have less team control. And i'm sure it's not as if teams know he's better than his stats indicate this year. I say the sooner he's traded, the better.

I'm in agreement with this. If Scouts are grading Yo a #3 to #4, I'm hoping that maybe a team still pays out prospects for him as a solid #3 and not a declining #3. 4.83 ERA less Ks and even more struggles to pitch later in games than previously. I just fear Yo loses that "Team Controlled" tag with these numbers next season at the trade deadline as he's certainly not worth 13.25million for his numbers. So what kind of Value does Yo provide then in trade being a "Rental" essentially with 0 draft pick compensation ability, Continuing with his numbers currently into next season?

It'd be Scott Feldman/Baker return imo then. Or nothing.

Look at it this way. Last start 6ip 4hits 2bbs 3ERs. This vs. Wade Miley. Who started the game giving up 3ERs on 7hits by the 3rd inning to Yo's 1 over minimum 0hits 1BB through 3ip. Miley's final line? 8ip 8hits 3ER 0BB 4ks. How often does Gallardo give the team that kind of "Gamer" outing? By all accounts Miley looked headed for a quick 5ip hook if lucky and he turned around and gave the team 8ip. That's a true #3 to me. Getting Gritty outings that accumulate some innings keeping your team in the game.

Gallardo has 5 Starts that he seen the 7th inning in 20 this year. 17 out of 33Starts last year he reached the 7th inning but not 1 8IP outing. He managed 1 vs. Lousy Miami this year but that means 1 GS of 8ip in 53 Starts, extended to 1 in 61 back to 2011.

He hasn't been a #2 upside since 2011. He was borderline #3 last year. And he really is a #4 SP this year. You can see where this is headed for next year. We can say selling Low but, I fear this may be the highest value at the trade deadline we actually have the chance of selling at, which means we are selling high. We just held on too long.

One interesting note on Garza, which would pertain to potential Gallardo trades as well...the Cubs are trying to get a pitcher as the centerpiece of the deal, and so far, that has hung things up.

MLB Trade Rumors says Texas has told the Cubs they can't have Martin Perez, (as they told Milwaukee last year for Greinke). The Rangers have offered Mike Olt.

St Louis wants to send second baseman Kolten Wong, and the Dodgers' most likely prospect is Joc Pederson.

I assume the Brewers would want a pitcher at the front as well...which may be tougher than it sounds right now.

I think the Brewers would have a better chance of getting a pitcher because you know you control Gallardo next year. If Garza bails, you traded pitching and now have a hole in the rotation to fill.

One interesting note on Garza, which would pertain to potential Gallardo trades as well...the Cubs are trying to get a pitcher as the centerpiece of the deal, and so far, that has hung things up.

MLB Trade Rumors says Texas has told the Cubs they can't have Martin Perez, (as they told Milwaukee last year for Greinke). The Rangers have offered Mike Olt.

St Louis wants to send second baseman Kolten Wong, and the Dodgers' most likely prospect is Joc Pederson.

I assume the Brewers would want a pitcher at the front as well...which may be tougher than it sounds right now.

Perez was a faltering looking prospect last season and Texas didn't want to part with him. He also wasn't an important Starter for their rotation at the time just spot starting. Now Perez has his rotation spot and is showing the promise associated with his previous prospect rankings. It would make no sense for Texas to trade Perez a useful Starter today on their for Garza because they'd just have to find another SP to fill in Perez's spot? Chicago is asking way too much for Garza. Remember Texas' offer to Grienke was Buckel,Grimm, and Leury Garcia. Grimm is contributing as well now on their staff but he still could be on the table for Garza. I could see the same offer Grimm,Buckel and? for Garza. They are open to send Olt which with Buckel/Grimm is a better offer than what Grienke was getting in return. Grienke is universally considered a better pitcher than Garza. Cubs fans are foolish thinking Perez could be had in a deal.

As for other team's offers, if the Cubs are seeking a 50thish ranked prospect like Segura last season in return, Wong/Pederson/and Olt fit that ranking currently. St Louis' pitchers are thought of above that which on that same thinking means to high an asking price.

I think pitching can be had, but so many pitchers that could be had in trade aren't just 40-60rankings, but top 30 in rankings and on the rise.

I think the Brewers still could come away with a Pitching prospect but top 50 in ranking is likely out of the question. Still, many to choose from that currently don't rank top 50 but in a year may crack it like CJ Edwards/ Ranaudo have risen this year vs. preseason rankings.

I can't wait for Garza to be traded so the picture becomes much clearer on potential buyers of Lohse/Gallardo and what kind of return to seek.

I hope they never trade him and sign him to an extension next year

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

sounds like Garza and Norris are being highly targeted right now with not a word about Gallardo.... either theres no real interest or Melvin is holding his cards as close as possible... which I think that is more likely than the earlier statement

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This from MLBTradeRumors.com:

The bottom line with Gallardo, according to a tweet from ESPN's Jayson Stark, is not a lot of enthusiasm for what two executives called a "4-5 starter" despite tossing six and 1/3 shutout innings against the Marlins last night.

That saddens me, and seems to make it pretty likely that Gallardo will not be traded. I can't see Melvin trading him unless he gets a good return. If this is the case, hopefully Gallardo will show enough in the second half that teams will want to trade for him this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I saw that too, and obviously, Gallardo isn't moving anywhere. At least not for any kind of promising package.

It's obvious Gallardo's biggest deterrent is his limited IP per start. not getting through 6+ innings and leaving over 9outs for the bullpen to cover on average just isn't appealing. He really is a #4 to 5 in that regard. Before the decline of his "Stuff" added to it.

That goes with why, I didn't agree on the Shields trade to Gallardo comparison because Shields was capable of 8-9ip outings at any time. Gallardo can't make it through 7innings before seeing his pitch count approach 120 pitches. So the same thing is going to happen with the trade him in the offseason idea. It's not going to happen until magically Gallardo finds Getting through 7ip in 100 pitches regularly. We know that's a pipedream.

The more I think about this, and read what you guys are saying, the more I think we should hold onto Gallardo for now and be happy about it. Somebody talked about the likely effect of the WBC, which seems very plausible. Yo is having an off year. If he continues to slide, then we lost out by not trading him a year ago, which was never going to happen anyway; but there's a decent chance he comes back strong, in which case we can move him next year for a better return or keep him if the pieces are somehow starting to come together.

Ideally we'd be able to deal a pitcher with his contract and pedigree, but keeping him now isn't a disaster. A good veteran starter isn't like a closer; even a rebuilding team benefits from having a guy like Gallardo around.

Do all the contending teams really have 3 starters that our better than Gallardo? It seems a stretch to say that Gallardo would be a 4/5 if a contending team were to acquire him. I think he would be a solid #3 on most teams

Yeah, that's the main thing. It's all about how certain teams value him. As you said, some teams may see him slotting into their #3 spot, or maybe even higher depending on who's interested. What some scouts have said may not be the universal opinion. Just need one team to value him enough to make a good offer. Some teams will be desperate for a good starter, so it could just be a matter of whether or not they are desperate enough to make the kind of offer Melvin wants.

Look at the D'Backs for instance. They have Corbin and Miley pitching well, but behind them they have a struggling Kennedy and two young starters in Delgado and Skaggs who they may not trust in a pennant race. They are a team that could really value someone with experience like Gallardo. They've had previous interest, so we shall see I guess.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived