Brewer Fanatic

Time to trade Gallardo?

You aren't the only one who likes Boston as a trade partner, it's just that Brewers and D-Backs are being linked in talks almost daily.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the two obvious names from Cleveland are Trevor Bauer or Danny Salazar. Bauer's the big name prospect, but Salazar's fanned 100 in 76 IP between AA and AAA with a combined WHIP of 1.105. Bauer has struggled a bit at AAA.

Well the two obvious names from Cleveland are Trevor Bauer or Danny Salazar. Bauer's the big name prospect, but Salazar's fanned 100 in 76 IP between AA and AAA with a combined WHIP of 1.105. Bauer has struggled a bit at AAA.

Just looking at raw numbers, Salazar seems like the guy. Just Salazar seems like a low return for Gallardo and I don't see much in that system that I like a whole lot and/or is available. Bauer scares me for some reason, numbers don't look great in AAA. Lindor will be off the table I would guess.

Anyone have anything on some lower level guys

Anyone have anything on some lower level guys

Mitch Brown - (2nd - 2012)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=621066

BA Rank: 5

Really the only one that would make sense otherwise to me. Weak system.

Well what about Kieran Lovegrove? 18yr old 6'4" only 185 currently. Projectable frame, seems like a project but when it comes to any other prospect after Bauer/Lindor or Salazar he's probably the 4th ranked guy to target.

MLB's take on him:

The Indians went high upside with this SoCal high school product. Lovegrove has the chance to have a pretty electric three-pitch mix from a tall and projectable frame, if it all comes together. He’ll flash a fastball up to 94 mph at times to go along with a nasty slider and a curve that has the chance to be an average offering down the road. He has a feel for a changeup as well, though he needs to show more consistency with all three pitches as he moves on in his professional career. Lovegrove has used a fairly unorthodox delivery in the past, and if he can clean that up, he has all the raw tools to be an exciting starting pitcher in the future

and Scouting Book:

A high school pitcher drafted by the Indians in 2012, righthander Kieran Lovegrove is a promising player, though he's a long way away from the major leagues. Lovegrove's been clocked in the 90mph range with some recorded 96mph events, which explains how he struck out 93 in 77 high school innings. He hasn't needed anything other than a fastball and a so-so slider so far, so stay patient while he tries to develop the better breaking balls and off-speed stuff necessary for MLB success.

I'd think that with Bauer he has to be included as a sorta secondary potential success as Bauer has the makings of complete bust with his Walks. Still not a good trading partner personally. Unless it's Lindor in trade.

I think it was Nate who suggested it but I kind of like the Boston idea best, too bad they haven't been tied to us. I was also hoping Jack Z would go into buyer mode since he's on the hot seat in Seattle and dangle Hultzen/Walker.

I was pretty high on Skaggs for a long time, but the more I read about him over the last week, the more I think he's a #3. I have no problem believing Bradley is untouchable, he's younger, much bigger arm, arguably better secondary stuff, but still needs control work. I wouldn't trade him for Gallardo if I was on the other side of the deal.

The worst part about this whole thing is that the pitchers I covet the most are actually all in the division or play for Tampa, who has no need for short term pitching.

Trevor Bauer interests me some but his control has a long way to go and I don't think Cleveland has done him any favors, the fact that's he's already on a MLB deal stinks as well because he needs more development time but like with Weeks players on that kind of deal don't spend much time in the minors. If ever learns to command the strike zone he'll be a force, but I'd rather be taking that risk with a player in A ball rather than a player still struggling with control in AAA. Bauer is only in his 2nd full season, but he's not anywhere near as polished as his draft position would have suggested. By the time a player is in AAA he'd better be throwing strikes.

Maybe the Mets would be a good off-season target for pitching, they have a ton of young pitching but no hitting.

I find myself getting a tad depressed because it doesn't look like there is a strong enough market for our 2 best pitchers who also happen to be expendable. I've been questing for young front line pitching for a long time to slot with Gallardo, and now to replace Gallardo. Of the teams whom would be buyers, I'd really like the Red Sox to get involved but there's been no reported movement between the 2 teams. That doesn't mean there haven't been talks, just that nothing has been leaked.

Looking at BA's midseason 50 I'd be interested in #6 (who's not going anywhere), #7, #23, #26, #27, #29, #33, and #37 to headline a deal. Everyone after Walker who's #7 has their warts. There are a bunch of pitchers in the lower minors or lesser rated prospects whom I'd take for any of our relievers, Jeff Ames from the Rays is the kind of under the radar prospect that I would find intriguing in that context.

We really won't be able to move Gallardo for a position player, who's going to pitch? Unless we moved Gomez for a pitcher but what are the odds of that? I had high hopes for Thornburg but all he's done is continually leave fat pitches belt high over the plate, he'd be great if he had better command, but his command is actually getting worse, he's regressing, which I didn't see coming at all.

Hellweg, Jungmann, and Bradley have awful secondary numbers which I've covered in detail on the minor league forum. Pena is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... he has no in between. Scarpetta was never a strike thrower and is coming off TJ surgery, Bucci is just coming back from surgery as well, he's at least 2 years away and not a top of the rotation guy. I like Gagnon but he's a mid to back of the rotation guy, I don't think Goforth is more that either, nor is Hall. Magnifico has 1 pitch and doesn't maintain his velocity, Burgos, Fiers, and Narveson are fine back of the rotation candidates. Jimmy Nelson has been great but is a 2 pitch guy and scouts universally think he's a #3.

There enough hope in that bunch that we could field an in house rotation, maybe league average, but we have no one whom would legitimately profile as a #2 or better today. Not that Gallardo is still an upper level #2, but if we don't do better than average talent all the way around we're going to have the 4th best rotation in our division, we won't be competing for anything:

Pittsburgh has Taillon, Kingham, and Glasnow coming yet in addition to Cole. The Cards have so much pitching that they'll be able to use young impact starting pitching in the bullpen like Rosenthal, take whomever you want from Rosenthal, Miller, Wacha, Martinez to fill their holes down the road. The Reds have Latos, Leake, Bailey, and Cueto whom are all 27 or younger in their rotation plus Cingrani and Stephenson on the way. If Corcino ever turns it back around they have depth or another great bullpen option.

Our rotations aren't as good today as those 3 teams and Nelson just doesn't stack up to prospects like Cole/Taillon/Miller/Wacha/Stephenson or even Cingrani. It doesn't take a genius to see where this is heading...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If it's Arizona, I think Skaggs and Davidson for Gallardo + name your RP will do it. Skaggs high end is probably the 2011 Gallardo and a 3B for the future in Davidson. I would hope to follow that up with a Ramirez + Aoki + different RP to Boston for Barnes & another SP OR a Ramirez + RP to Los Angeles deal for Lee + Pederson.

I just really hope we don't get past July 31 and we are underwhelmed by DM's lack of activity.

Gallardo's Projected Starts:

11 @Ari

19 Mia

24 SDP

29 @CHC

The Brewers have a Double Header the 30th vs Chi.

Could lead to a very crazy Rotation should a team that wants Gallardo for an added start the 29th trade for him after the 24th.

It is a decent 4 teams to have to pitch against when it comes to Run scoring offenses. 14/30/15/ and 17th rankings at the moment.

So there's hope that Gallardo even at average stuff comes away with enough "good outings" to make a team commit to take him in Trade.

Oh Crew, remember Gallardo has Red Sox,Yanks,Orioles,Blue Jays,Indians,Tigers,Astros,Angels,Phillies,Pirates on his no trade list.

Something to have to work by in the Cleveland or Red Sox trade.

I remember, I was looking at it from a best case prospect standpoint, not a realistic trade standpoint or I wouldn't have said anything about Seattle or TB. Just more of a, "these are the guys I like" type scenario.

- Plato

- Plato

If it's Arizona, I think Skaggs and Davidson for Gallardo + name your RP will do it. Skaggs high end is probably the 2011 Gallardo and a 3B for the future in Davidson. I would hope to follow that up with a Ramirez + Aoki + different RP to Boston for Barnes & another SP OR a Ramirez + RP to Los Angeles deal for Lee + Pederson.

I just really hope we don't get past July 31 and we are underwhelmed by DM's lack of activity.

If the DBacks offered up Axford for Davidson you'd do it, right? While I would be thrilled with this deal, I'm not sure it gives them enough. You may be able to build a package around Gallardo, Gonzalez, and Axford/Henderson or Gallardo, Aoki, Axford for Skaggs and another. Personally, I'm hoping they get another arm like Holmberg and address the future hole at 3B in the FA market.

(I've been studying scenarios specifically for the DBacks for like two weeks now....I just wish they would do something before they realize they're falling out of contention)

Skaggs line tonight BTW vs. Dodgers: 4.1IP 8H 3R 3ER 3BB 3K

I think what the scout said about Yo pitching in the WBC is exactly right, which means his current issues may correct themselves. The Brewers will have to decide if they believe Yo will rebound, if they do, and other teams are trying to buy low...right now won't be the time to deal him.

I agree splitter. Gallardo's lost velocity, but I think his value is dependent on whether teams think it's permanent or not. He's only 27, and he didn't get abused when he was young, so it's likely the issue is arm fatigue (WBC), mechanical issues, or an injury. I'd think the Brewers would know about an injury, and you'd hope someone would've spotted a mechanical issue by now.

I'd hope teams would be able to look past a temporary issue and offer us something of value, but if we're not offered much, than I think we're better to hold onto Gallardo in hopes that this is indeed a temporary issue. If it is, he'll have plenty of value at this time next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He's only 27, and he didn't get abused when he was young, so it's likely the issue is arm fatigue (WBC), mechanical issues, or an injury. I'd think the Brewers would know about an injury, and you'd hope someone would've spotted a mechanical issue by now.

That's not entirely true... the Brewers did well bringing him along from an innings standpoint through the system but he pitched up to 148 pitches and 11 innings in a HS game which took place in March of his senior season. I don't know what his innings and pitch counts were through HS, but he was also playing in showcases and such as well. There is likely more wear and tear on that arm than people realize.

I hope it's a temporary issue, but if I had to guess I would guess that his days of being a starting pitcher with an above average fastball are done unless he's willing to make changes, especially to his off-season routine.

- Plato

- Plato

Verified Member

Reports that Texas interested in Gallardo and/or Aoki

Would that be enough for Olt and a pitcher? The problem being the Rangers don't seem to have any quality SP prospects.

If hadn't just gone on the DL, I'd says Joey Gallo and Mike Olt. Screw pitching, I want a team again that hits .200 with 4+ HR per game!!! (The Brewers way)

Before discussing a trade with the Rangers, if I was Melvin I would be talking to the Indians first despite Gallardo's no trade clause. Getting at least one of Bauer or Salazar sounds nice. Perhaps the Brewers will be able to get both if they added another player or two with Gallardo.

Community Moderator
If hadn't just gone on the DL, I'd says Joey Gallo and Mike Olt. Screw pitching, I want a team again that hits .200 with 4+ HR per game!!! (The Brewers way)

I know Gallo is showing crazy power in A-ball, but he seems to be hopelessly horrendous defensively and is striking out at a 38.5% rate. I heard a Russell Branyan comp recently that made me chuckle given the affinity for Branyan among BF.netters. The comparison was mostly due to the fact Gallo (26 HRs) is chasing Branyan's Sally League HR record of 40.

If I was going after a high upside position player in the lower levels of the Rangers organization, it wouldn't be Gallo or Lewis Brinson, but instead 18 year old Ronald Guzman. He is a left handed hitting 1B with good size. While he doesn't project to hit for a ton of power, he makes up for it with an exceptional hit tool which was rated by Baseball Prospectus as his best overall tool.

EDIT: I should note I was referring to Guzman more as a contrast to other Rangers teenagers like Gallo and Brinson, and not necessarily other young talent in the Rangers organization like Luis Sardinas or Jorge Alfaro.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I know Gallo is showing crazy power in A-ball, but he seems to be hopelessly horrendous defensively and is striking out at a 38.5% rate. I heard a Russell Branyan comp recently that made me chuckle given the affinity for Branyan among BF.netters. The comparison was mostly due to the fact Gallo (26 HRs) is chasing Branyan's Sally League HR record of 40.

If I was going after a high upside position player in the lower levels of the Rangers organization, it wouldn't be Gallo or Lewis Brinson, but instead 18 year old Ronald Guzman. He is a left handed hitting 1B with good size. While he doesn't project to hit for a ton of power, he makes up for it with an exceptional hit tool which was rated by Baseball Prospectus as his best overall tool.

I mentioned him in another thread on Guzman. One of those I read about and think, well what if? What if he finds a little more power stroke? Lift in the ball with carry? He fills his frame out to a strong 240lb 1b?

Segura can hit. You read on Guzman and it's that he can hit. Nobody imagined Segura's power stroke being what it is already and I just wonder if Guzman is the type that follows in his footsteps. A 13-16HR type player but really finds himself hitting 25HRs frequently?

That said, the Rangers paid a hefty penny for him, so they obviously liked him and they may love him more than what we are talking about here. Guzman may be that kind of minor leaguer that won't be involved in trade availability for at least another 2 years as the Rangers figure out what they have in him.

Community Moderator
That said, the Rangers paid a hefty penny for him, so they obviously liked him and they may love him more than what we are talking about here. Guzman may be that kind of minor leaguer that won't be involved in trade availability for at least another 2 years as the Rangers figure out what they have in him.

I agree with you. I think they have probably invested too much time and money in him to be willing to part with him for something outside of a major trade. He certainly is an intriguing prospect.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived