Brewer Fanatic

Time to trade Gallardo?

Community Moderator
OMG thank God you are not our GM because Melvin is not as short sighted as you are. Someone like you, with a sky is falling mentality, could never have pried away Segura last season with all the Debbie Downer stuff. No hyperbole, that's what you are engaged in. Gallardo's velocity has fallen off a bit this season and he did have a stretch earlier where he wasn't pitching well. That's not everything, son. You look at his overall track record, not a stretch of a few starts where he struggled or else you will get robbed. He is trending better again except for his last start. You look at someone's overall track record, not a short snapshot.

Yovani was never a 97 mph guy with any regularity, so just ignore that. That was never his game. If you want to exaggerate then your whole point can just be thrown out. Let's operate in the real world. If you want to be taken seriously, talk seriously. His velocity dropoff is way, way, way overblown. It's slight, and you act like that trend will continue. If it did, he would be throwing 83 in a few years. Get real, kid. As pitchers age, the ones with savvy, like Yovani, make up with with it by knowing how to pitch. Listen to the pitcher that know how to pitch with experience. The Seavers, the Carltons, they will explain it to you.

You dismiss the idea that Gallardo doesn't credit for being a 15 game winner year after year? I don't even know what to say. You have to understand the sport and pitching. Certainly there are guys that go out there every 5th day and know how to win games for you. Yovani is that type of guy and he knows how to do it. Some guys do and some guys don't.

No hyperbole on prospects. The vast majority never amount to a hill of beans. And I'm talking about the ones that are supposed to be good. You don't trade proven studs for fool's gold. Melvin did it right for Greinke and he will do it right for Gallardo. Last year Texas wouldn't give up Olt for Greinke and last I heard Olt was struggling as Melvin alluded to. Middlebrooks is foundering now for Boston. These guys aren't sure bets, Davidson included.

Yovani is a proven guy and will continue to be a solid starter. Only a complete buffoon gives him away. Mevin, luckily, understands value, and Milwaukee will get value for Gallardo. That's just how it will be, and I don't really need to debate it with faux accusations of hyperbole.

I recommend refraining from the using "You are ____" when disagreeing with a fellow poster. One positive aspect of BF.net is that while there is a great variance of opinions among the members, most disagreements on a given topic are framed as counterarguments and do not cross into personal attacks or ad hominem.

Also, using terms like "Son" and "Kid" carry a very condescending connotation, and don't reflect well on your overall argument. This is a great forum for information sharing and debate, and I certainly hope you continue to be a part of it. Just realize the best way to become a respected poster is to refute ideas without attacking the writer.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Eye black, 100%. I'd also refrain from naming any poster other than by his user name or personal name if you have meet him. Just because some posters might not be educated on current value of our players via trade doesn't mean they can't school you in many other areas about the game of baseball. Be careful you might just be surprised.

Also, don't call a poster kid or son at all. You'll find that some posters here and elsewhere are much older than you. I have meet one poster on another site and he is 34 years older than me, he's 60. Be careful, especially because you are new.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Why do the Brewers need to remove Gallardo this season? His value is at it's highest and it is only going to decline. Age, pay, potential injury are factors that make him a must to trade this year. His biggest value in this year's pitching market, has to be the fact he's owed under 4mil remaining on the year. Nolasco costs at least 2mil more for a team in trade besides being just a rental.

Then add in to it Gallardo's ability batting.

That makes acquiring Gallardo for this season a bargain. While he still has 2years remaining on his contract.

Move on to trading him in the offseason or next season. He's a year older. He's priced at or near market value, not a bargain. Workload over the years could finally hit him and he finally comes down with a shoulder/elbow injury. Which then wipes him out a year from that time and leaves him at 1year replacement or a rental at the deadline at a higher cost/performance questions.

The Brewers can't possibly get more for Gallardo than they will get for him at trade deadline this season. It would be a huge mistake to hang on to him and not accept the best offer they get for him.(And realistically, don't mock what if that offer is garbage, it's not going to be)

I don't really understand Arizona's want to trade for a SP controlled beyond this year. They have McCarthy and Cahill under contract this year or beyond. Pair that with Kennedy having 2more years team controll, Miley under team control til 2018, Corbin under team control til 2019.

That's your Starting 5 this season/next before we put Delgado in the mix. And then Skaggs that's 7SP next season with Bradley knocking on the door. I can see them dumping Kennedy vs. agreeing to 2nd year Arb but still they have 6SP for next season then.

Adding Gallardo makes it 8 or 7SPs with Kennedy released. I'm sure the club can come up with some kind of offseason trade away of Cahill(maybe) It just doesn't add up to me. Arizona should be looking at rental guys this season vs. acquiring someone for next season or beyond too.

Guess the question becomes, if Skaggs isn't on the table but Delgado is plus prospects who do you want more? Delgado or Skaggs?

OMG thank God you are not our GM because Melvin is not as short sighted as you are.

Gee, the OMGZ UR SO LAME response... you got really got me there. I'm many things, but short sighted is not one.

Someone like you, with a sky is falling mentality, could never have pried away Segura last season with all the Debbie Downer stuff.

I have no idea what that means, I wanted to trade Greinke. Futhermore, when have I ever said the sky is falling? You're comparing Yo to hall of fame pitchers, which he clearly is not. He doesn't have the control and his physical skills are declining. I don't have any problem with people who think Melvin has made all the right moves, but I'd don't like those same people complaining about the state of the organization. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, operating in the manner the Brewers have had a cost, the last 2 seasons and 2009 and 2010 were part of that cost.

No hyperbole, that's what you are engaged in.

Yes clearly I'm the one who dropped 4 cliches into a single sentence.

Gallardo's velocity has fallen off a bit this season and he did have a stretch earlier where he wasn't pitching well. That's not everything, son. You look at his overall track record, not a stretch of a few starts where he struggled or else you will get robbed. He is trending better again except for his last start. You look at someone's overall track record, not a short snapshot.

I watched his last start, I didn't see him throw a FB over 92 MPH. I was also clearly talking about his career. Sorry for bringing numbers into the discussion so I could compare the pitcher Yo was to the pitcher Yo is now.

Yovani was never a 97 mph guy with any regularity, so just ignore that. That was never his game. If you want to exaggerate then your whole point can just be thrown out.

When did I say he was? I was speaking to his overall arm strength.

Let's operate in the real world. If you want to be taken seriously, talk seriously.

Good idea, I was caught up in fantasy land and I always joke about organization building and pitching in general.

His velocity dropoff is way, way, way overblown. It's slight, and you act like that trend will continue. If it did, he would be throwing 83 in a few years. Get real, kid. As pitchers age, the ones with savvy, like Yovani, make up with with it by knowing how to pitch. Listen to the pitcher that know how to pitch with experience. The Seavers, the Carltons, they will explain it to you.

No that's not what I said, clearly it's not a positive that his average FB velocity is basically exactly average, and I said he has more value this year than he will next year if his average innings per start continues to fall the way it has the last 3 years in combination with declining stuff. Get real kid? The "kid" crack aside, Who's comparing Yo to hall of fame pitchers? When has he ever demonstrated the level of control those hall of fame pitchers you used as examples exhibited during their careers?

You dismiss the idea that Gallardo doesn't credit for being a 15 game winner year after year? I don't even know what to say. You have to understand the sport and pitching. Certainly there are guys that go out there every 5th day and know how to win games for you. Yovani is that type of guy and he knows how to do it. Some guys do and some guys don't.

"Wins" has nothing to do with projecting how a player will perform over the remainder of his contract. You are right, I don't understand sport or pitching because I believe in projecting a pitcher's future based on his stuff and his control.

No hyperbole on prospects. The vast majority never amount to a hill of beans.

Not hyperbole, but then you go and make another blanket statement about prospects. If you'll discuss a MLB player on his individual merits then why don't prospects deserve the same consideration? The vast majority of minor league players will never amount to a "hill of beans", but we aren't talking random minor leaguers, we're talking about acquiring some of the best prospects in baseball. I'd happily talk about and debate the strengths and weaknesses of the particular prospects posters are suggesting we acquire, I enjoy doing my homework so I can participate in an informed debate regarding prospects.

And I'm talking about the ones that are supposed to be good. You don't trade proven studs for fool's gold.

I'm sorry I've had it wrong all these years, thanks for correcting me.

These guys aren't sure bets, Davidson included.

Neither is Yo a sure bet to be a solid #2 for the remainder of his contract.

Yovani is a proven guy and will continue to be a solid starter. Only a complete buffoon gives him away. Mevin, luckily, understands value, and Milwaukee will get value for Gallardo.

That's your opinion, and no one has suggested "just giving him away", you obviously haven't read any of the trade proposals that I've put out there.

That's just how it will be, and I don't really need to debate it with faux accusations of hyperbole.

You're right, that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

OMG thank God you are not our GM because Melvin is not as short sighted as you are.

The funny thing about this is TheCrew07 has probably the most foresight on this board. It's one of the things that make him one of the best posters on here, even if many disagree with his opinions.

The funny thing about this is TheCrew07 has probably the most foresight on this board. It's one of the things that make him one of the best posters on here, even if many disagree with his opinions.

Agreed to both sentiments. ;)

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

So getting back on topic... given his disappointing season, what would be the bare minimum folks would be willing to accept in a deadline trade for Gallardo as opposed to holding onto him and hoping he turns things around (and potentially trading him at next year's deadline)?

I think Yovani Gallardo just became a #4 SP in Pitching Value for Trade. One that isn't getting his option picked up by the team who trades for him. Yovani went from getting 90cents to the $1 in ask for trade and now I don't think he can get Melvin .30cents to his original $1 in trade.

Means a team's top 5 prospect and top 10 prospect just became a teams top 12 prospect and a team's 20-25th prospect.

I wouldn't want to sell low on Gallardo. If he's regressed to a lg.-avg. SP, worst-case scenario is that you have him for one year at just under $12M. I'd rather opt for that than an underwhelming trade return.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wouldn't want to sell low on Gallardo. If he's regressed to a lg.-avg. SP, worst-case scenario is that you have him for one year at just under $12M. I'd rather opt for that than an underwhelming trade return.

That is essentially exactly what is about to happen.

Gallardo will have to dominate every start til the deadline to get his value back now. Just being Avg. 4ERA these last two starts through to the deadline would have been better than these poor outings. Even if he goes lights out, and his ERA these last two starts forward to the deadline winds up at 3.5ERA, I think the perception of him being a #3/4 doesn't change. Whereas the 4ERA string of starts would have still had teams believing he was a #3 with 2upside.

7ip 17hits 6BBs 7Ks 11ER! Ugly.

I'm going to add that Gallardo no avgs. approx 5.2ip a start which gives him a projection of just 192.1IP in 34GS w/o improvement. That would be 12IP less with 1 Extra Game started from last season.

He needs to avg. 6.1 IP the rest of the year to get to 200IP.

On the flip Side, Jose Fernandez just put himself on pace for 185IP with a dominating 8ip 2h 10k 1BB performance. Boy, you cant ask for a worse 2011 Draft than Milwaukee's. I wonder what the Career WAR of our 2 picks are going to end up vs. the Career WAR of the 2 HS pitchers they failed to draft Fernandez and Taylor Guerrieri? Or Stephenson? Or Meyer? Or Ross?

I mean it appears based on prospects ranks, that SPs in that draft were can't miss, and yet the Brewers swung and missed twice!

It's funny because I was at my niece's birthday party but snuck a minute to check the MLB app and saw Gallardo gave up 8 runs in 3 innings and my first thought was, "he just keeps tanking his trade value".

We can't win with any of these guys, they get hurt or are completely ineffective by the time Melvin gets around to trading them or looking to get some kind of return like a comp pick from them. I guess that's what happens when you wait till the last minute all the time, but damn if it's not frustrating to continually have so few options available.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I guess that's what happens when you wait till the last minute all the time, but damn if it's not frustrating to continually have so few options available.

And he's had damn good reasons for waiting, namely having a 96-win team and home field advantage in the NLCS two seasons ago with a -0.5 WAR SS and a -0.9 WAR 3B, both of whom he upgraded with 1.7 WAR SS and a 2.7 WAR 3B (who performed to a 5.6 WAR) which should have yielded a 102-win team and allowed for a 10 win regression at other positions and still make the playoffs. You don't blow up a 96-win team with every key player under the age of 30.

Back to Gallardo, if the D-Backs think Gallardo has added value because they can market him to the Hispanic/Mexican community (which they can't do with Samardzjia) then have at him. Remember, Melvin once said "I'm not motivated" to trade (IIRC) Overbay, so when he says he "needs to be blown away" we can't take that as "I'm not trading him". Cahill just went on the DL so now may be the time.

With Prado and Hill under contract for big money for three more years there might not be room for Davidson. If the D-Backs won't give up one of Skaggs/Bradley, then a package of Davidson/Holmberg/Chafin might do it. And Eaton might only be 5'8", but he has a career OBP in the minors of .446 (and .382 in his small sample in the majors); unlike the 5'8" prospect on the Brewers earlier this season, Eaton walks. If the Brewers trade Aoki, Eaton and his OBP would look real nice at the top of the Brewers lineup.

And he's had damn good reasons for waiting, namely having a 96-win team and home field advantage in the NLCS two seasons ago with a -0.5 WAR SS and a -0.9 WAR 3B, both of whom he upgraded with 1.7 WAR SS and a 2.7 WAR 3B (who performed to a 5.6 WAR) which should have yielded a 102-win team and allowed for a 10 win regression at other positions and still make the playoffs. You don't blow up a 96-win team with every key player under the age of 30.

If that's what you believe I've been suggesting then you've completely missed my point all these years.

Hardy should been gone prior to 2009 for pitching, he was gone anyway with Escobar behind him.

Sheets got injured and we couldn't even get a comp pick for him.

Sabathia ends up being the 2nd best FA and we lose out on Trout and pick Arnett instead.

Hart should have been traded with a year left and now we'll get nothing.

Gallardo has tanked to the point does he realistically have much trade value given where his stuff has fallen?

We offer K-Rod arbitration and he actually accepts it.

Marcum gets hurt and regresses enough that he's not worth a qualifying offer.

Every possible move to bring back more talent with the exception of Greinke has worked out in the worst way possible. And the Greinke trade is the only outlier from a trade perspective in Melvin's history.

As far as what I wanted Melvin to do, I would have parted with just about any position player other than Braun at any time for more pitching, I've been very consistent on that point since 2008. We didn't need every position player then, we don't need every position player now, we need young impact pitching.

Again you can defend Melvin all you want, but operating the way he has always also has had a cost. At some point we have to move past "luck" being a reason take a deeper look at the way the organization operates. Luck can explain outliers but doesn't explain repeating futility on that scale. We aren't snakebitten as a franchise, the baseball gods aren't conspiring against us, this situation was predictable and a small minority of posters has been beating this eventuality for some time now.

- Plato

- Plato

As far as what I wanted Melvin to do, I would have parted with just about any position player other than Braun at any time for more pitching, I've been very consistent on that point since 2008.

You seem to believe that the Brewers are run like the Packers where there is no owner and the GM would have full authority to do a he pleases like Ted Thompson is able to do.

I think you're living in a fantasy land if you think Attanasio would be ok with consistently selling off productive players for prospects as you'd like to do. We've already seen how heavily involved Attanasio was in the signings of Suppan, Wolf, Ramirez, and Lohse. He backed the trades for Sabathia, Marcum, and Greinke. He extended Melvin's contract and i think that's because Attanasio has an even stronger win now mentality than Doug has.

Just look at the Lohse signing. Melvin had made multiple statements about not wanting to give up a first round pick to sign Lohse, but Attanasio continued to stay in contact and negotiating with Boras.

Granted, i don't think Attanasio micromanages the team on a level of say Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, but he certainly isn't a just sit on the sidelines owner either. From everything i've seen of Attanasio, he strikes me as the type of owner who will only be for selling off productive major league for prospects if he's nearly 100 percent certain before a season starts that contending for a playoff berth is a total pipe dream or at the deadline when the team is dead in the water as we were last year and are this year.

So, the Orioles gave up Arrietta for Feldman, what does that say about Gallardo's value

The Orioles also got pool money(worth up to 979k) for the international signings so, that may be more at hand here than Feldman.

The thing I don't like about Feldman is the guy hasn't pitched over 150ip since 2009. He's already above 90 this year. I'd be very concerned with his arm becoming fatigued for the stretch run unless you move him to Bullpen.

Edit:Oh Crap. I read that the other way! the Cubs got bonus pool money not the Orioles! Whoa that's a good haul by the Cubs. What is Baltimore thinking then? Feldman is going to get rocked.

Arrieta is just a lottery ticket at this point and the Cubs got $388K of bonus pool money to sign a couple teenagers. It seems as though the Orioles have given up on Arrieta ever becoming a productive major leaguer.

Even though Feldman is having a nice season, I don't think this deal really sets the market for Gallardo. But if it does, I'd certainly just hold onto Yo.

You seem to believe that the Brewers are run like the Packers where there is no owner and the GM would have full authority to do a he pleases like Ted Thompson is able to do.

Come on, I was one of the first to point out that MA might be part of the problem. Regardless, I'm not into completing shifting blame unto MA. There's a smart way to run a franchise and remain truly competitive year to year and then there is what the Brewers did. The situation didn't have to get this bad.

I think you're living in a fantasy land if you think Attanasio would be ok with consistently selling off productive players for prospects as you'd like to do. We've already seen how heavily involved Attanasio was in the signings of Suppan, Wolf, Ramirez, and Lohse. He backed the trades for Sabathia, Marcum, and Greinke. He extended Melvin's contract and i think that's because Attanasio has an even stronger win now mentality than Doug has.

Again I have no doubt that MA is part of the problem, but I highly doubt him and Melvin are as far apart as you want to make it sound. Gord Ash and Jack Z routinely talked about the organization being able to trade for pitching, I just didn't understand what they meant initially, and Melvin has basically followed the exact same path here as he did with TX.

I was hoping things would change when MA said that they had basically been spending money to spend money, but then they turned around and signed Lohse.

ust look at the Lohse signing. Melvin had made multiple statements about not wanting to give up a first round pick to sign Lohse, but Attanasio continued to stay in contact and negotiating with Boras.

Granted, i don't think Attanasio micromanages the team on a level of say Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, but he certainly isn't a just sit on the sidelines owner either. From everything i've seen of Attanasio, he strikes me as the type of owner who will only be for selling off productive major league for prospects if he's nearly 100 percent certain before a season starts that contending for a playoff berth is a total pipe dream or at the deadline when the team is dead in the water as we were last year and are this year.

Again I don't doubt MA's influence at all, but if DM can't sell MA on the proper course for a franchise, then he shouldn't be the GM. Essentially he's nothing more than a puppet... MA says he wants a MLB player to fit a specific hole and Melvin goes out and takes care of the details, and if DM won't then MA goes and signs the guy himself. And if MA is no better than a casual fan in that he can't see the value of selling high, well then I'd question how he made all his money in the first place, did he just hire people that were *so good* to make his money for him? He's essentially an investment banker, he should be able to understand all of the various levels of value and properly assign risk, much more so than DM. If this is how it's always going to be with MA as the principal owner then we've already hit our high water mark getting worked over badly in the NLCS, and I need to reassess my Brewer fandom because we're going no where. We'll be the Milwaukee Bucks, always pseudo competitive stuck in the middle hoping 1 more acquisition will push us over the top.

- Plato

- Plato

If that's what you believe I've been suggesting then you've completely missed my point all these years. We know very well what you've been suggesting - trade away anyone as soon as they get good assuming that someone will give up young pitching for them that would always pan out and not get hurt. Those of us who waited patiently and painfully for 26 years for a playoff team to cheer for and be proud of disagree. You've been missing our point all these years.

Hardy should been gone prior to 2009 for pitching, he was gone anyway with Escobar behind him. Trade a 25-year-old SS coming off of a .821 OPS season? 1) Escobar wasn't ready in 2009, and b) they should have done exactly what they did - trade Escobar before he proved he was nothing.

Sheets got injured and we couldn't even get a comp pick for him. Pitchers get hurt, and there isn't enough space on this board to list all of the pitching prospects in their early 20's that got hurt and/or never amounted to anything.

Sabathia ends up being the 2nd best FA and we lose out on Trout and pick Arnett instead. Sabathia is the reason the Brewers went to the playoffs for the first time in 26 years, no one the Brewers gave up for him amounted to anything, and if they hadn't traded for him they wouldn't have had a chance to get the Yankees comp pick that turned into Trout.

Hart should have been traded with a year left and now we'll get nothing. How do you know that anyone was offering anything of value for him?

As far as what I wanted Melvin to do, I would have parted with just about any position player other than Braun at any time for more pitching, I've been very consistent on that point since 2008. 1) How do you know that other teams would have offered quality young pitching for any of them? B) How do you know that they would have panned out and/or not gotten hurt, and ended up whizzing away an opportunity to take advantage of Braun/Fielder in their prime?

Again you can defend Melvin all you want, but operating the way he has always also has had a cost. And it has also had a benefit - he took over perhaps the least talented organization top to bottom in baseball after the 2002 season and in six years built a playoff team for the first time in 26 years while operating on an uneven financial playing field in acquiring, retaining, and drafting talent.

I am sort of doubting the team can get anything really good for Gallardo before the trade deadline. He doesn't even look like a solid #3 pitcher right now on most playoff teams. Maybe not even a #4 for many contenders.

They might be better off waiting to hope he re-establishes his value over the rest of the season, and then deal him in the off-season. He simply hasn't done the Brewers any favors with his performance this season, and other teams know it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I am sort of doubting the team can get anything really good for Gallardo before the trade deadline. He doesn't even look like a solid #3 pitcher right now on most playoff teams. Maybe not even a #4 for many contenders.

They might be better off waiting to hope he re-establishes his value over the rest of the season, and then deal him in the off-season. He simply hasn't done the Brewers any favors with his performance this season, and other teams know it.

This is why we are in an good position with Yo though as well. He isn't a FA after this season like Greinke was in 2012, so we really do not have to deal him unless someone is willing to overpay and get the Yo of old. Like others have said, unless someone pays for the Yo of old we should just ride it out with him and hope he increases his trade value over the final months of 2013.

I agree Yo can increase his trade value when it comes to his ability as a pitcher. But his trade value continues to take a hit monetarily. What is less than 4mil owed the remainder of this season becomes 11.5 next season. Then 13 the year after(if picking up his option and at a #4 ability being shown that's unlikely right now)

Yo just became a disappointment outcome for our franchise. We thought we had value with his contract, thought we had an Ace to the staff, and instead we are getting a pitcher closing in on Jeff Suppan territory this year and next with zero trade value.

This from cbssportsline.com this morning:

Diamondbacks, Brewers discussing possible trade

The Diamondbacks and Brewers have begun discussions on a possible deal involving starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo, and the name of top pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs has come up, CBSSports.com Baseball Insider Jon Heyman reports Wednesday.

A deal does not appear imminent, but the Diamondbacks and Brewers could make good trading partners as the deadline approaches. The Diamondbacks received a win from their rotation for the first time in more than three weeks Wednesday, and are looking for established starting pitchers who are under contract next season.

I've been saying all along that Gallardo should be worth something close to what Shields garnered. Skaggs would certainly be a "high upside, MLB ready" guy with the potential to be a top-of-the-rotation guy for the next six season at a reasonable price.

I don't think most of our "chips" will bring back much value, but trading Gallardo could be the one move that really could make a difference. Get someone of Skaggs' ability for Gallardo, get decent pieces for Aoki and Ramirez and free up a lot of money with Gallardo, Ramirez and Weeks deals, let the prospects play next year, reassess our situation prior to the 2015 season, and we could turn this around in a couple of years instead of floundering for the next decade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member

Possible targets?

I'm assuming Melvin will only trade Gallardo if he's getting back starting pitching that: (1) is top-100 prospect quality, and (2) will be ready to contribute by 2013-2014.

So out of teams that have expressed interest in Gallardo or pitching generally, does that limit targets to these SP?

Trevor Bauer (CLE, RHP) (AAA)

Tyler Skaggs (ARI, LHP) (AAA/MLB)

Zach Lee (LAD, RHP) (AA)

Cody Buckel (TEX, RHP) (AA)

Matt Barnes (BOS, RHP) (AA)

Allen Webster (BOS, RHP) (AAA/MLB)

To me the obvious trade target here is Boston, not Arizona. A package built around Barnes/Webster seems more realistic for Gallardo's current value.

It might be too rich with how well he's been playing, but maybe they could ask for Garin Cecchini (3B) as well.

Cecchini and one of Barnes/Webster would be a pretty great return, imo, and one that could pretty realistically happen.

Archived