Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy off DL, Kottaras Designated, Bianchi Down, Henderson Up

splitterpfj
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whoever was marveling a page or two back about how George Kottaras could be a fan favorite, I will point out that his eye-candy quotient is not merely negligible. Plus he had that one hot week in April. Speaking only for myself, he also sounded interested in the question I asked him at the On Deck thing in January (until we were rudely cut off by the usher who wanted to move the line along despite the crickets chirping in George's general direction).

The gun show has moved out of Milwaukee. Thanks for playing, George.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I would have liked to have kept George and DFA Ishikawa. I was hoping the Brewers would give George some starts at first and Hart in right and just leave Morgan on the bench. But if he's not hitting, no point in having him around.

I just don't understand the frustrations with demoting Jeff Bianchi. He is a fringe MLB player at best who by all accounts isn't a very good defensive SS. Yes Izturis and Ransom aren't exactly good but when our SS this year since Agon have been Ransom, Izturis, Bianchi, Maysonet who really cares they are all fringe players who should be like the 24/25th guy on the team.

Roenicke said that Melvin is trying to trade Kottaras to keep him in the major leagues. Sounds like it'll happen soon. Probably won't get much, but something is better than nothing. He also hinted that Maldonado would catch 2 out of every 5 games for now, and be paired with Wolf.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Maybe Bianchi, like Green, is getting sent down in order to get more ABs b/c Izturis, like Ishikawa, is better suited to getting 2-5 ABs per week.

Just maybe this isn't the only move about to happen and over the next 3-4 weeks the various moves to be made will make a lot more sense in their totality than they do to some folks on this board.

DM has likely forgotten more about baseball than most of us will ever know, and he still likely knows tons more than we do in spite of that. I trust the guy quite highly. I'll bet my bottom dollar that DM & the front office have a plan that sees the big picture that accounts not just for issues right now but also over the next couple years. But like any high-level poker player, he doesn't just blab his every strategy to the media just to appease his doubters.

The fact that he's pretty darn highly respected across baseball tells me far more than the issues folks have with him here which seem to range anywhere from moderate mistrust to downright derision.

I am not totally off ship yet, but its hard to keep faith in a guy who keeps a SS with an OPS of .540 over the last three seasons on the roster over a guy that may be a part of the team next year (even if just as a backup). If the roster changes drastically over the next week or so, I will take back everything. But if Cesar Izturis is still on the team at that time, I take back nothing.

I think MNBrew's point is quite fair in general. There are a number of viable strategies where sending Bianchi down makes long term sense. I think most of them involve preserving the most amount of flexibility for deals. It isn't unreasonable to think that another team might need an Izturis back in a trade as roster filler. I don't know that it is particularly likely, but getting Bianchi some ABs for a week or so while things get sorted out isn't the end of the world.

That said I'm a bit uneasy that he's going to get a real shot. 12 ABs in a couple of weeks? Braun might be the only guy on the roster who hasn't had an 0-12 streak this season. While one can find positive interpretations of the cautious approach the Brewers have been using with middle of the road prospects, it also sends the contradictory message of hit early and hit often when you do get a shot.

I don't know what we can get for Maldonado, but I bet we could get a set up man or very good middle relief (which we need!) and that would help this team much more than a back up catcher.

I'd much rather hang onto a cheap, young, capable backup catcher than trade him for some reliever.

If it was a cheap, young, capable backup catcher that we were grooming to eventually start, I would 100% agree. But we have our catcher for the foreseeable future. The value we could get trading him would help the team win more then relegating him to backup duties.

I may be way off, maybe we can't get anything of value for him, and if that is the case, I would much rather have him be the backup. But if we can get anything useful (maybe packaging him with AmRam or Hart) that can help this team win (like an every day 3B or SS that we could also have under control for 4-6 years), I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to do that. Having a very good backup catcher is an unnecessary luxury. The impact Maldy will make on the Brewers over the time that he is with the team (assuming health obviously) is not that much greater than any other backup we bring in, even one at a Kottaras level.

If we had someone like a Kendall or Estrada still as our starter, I would be singing a completely different tune. But we have LuCrOy as our starter until 2016. I'm just afraid that if we don't look to trade him soon, he will not have the value that he does now and we won't get anything for him if his offensive ability reverts to his minor league levels. Strike while the iron is hot!

Based on recent history these DFA then trade deals yield at best a moderate upside guy in the low minors with lots of question marks, right? Still better than nothing.

Yep, but I'd also take any type of useable reliever at this point. Might as well get someone of use if possible.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived