Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy off DL, Kottaras Designated, Bianchi Down, Henderson Up

splitterpfj

Finally, someone else who can see he is pretty much worthless. What a shame it would have been to move Maldonado down just so Wolf could pitch to his buddy.

So, what is Wolf gonna do now if we keep him? Pout, cry, refuse to pitch? Does this mean that there is a remote chance someone is going to take Wolf off our hands?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can our front office be this awful? This makes no sense at all.

In what way?

Maldonado now plays 1 or 2 times a week when he needs time to continue to work on his offensive game.

Bianchi should be our starting SS the rest of the season unless he completely falls off the table, kind of like Izturis.

How can our front office be this awful? This makes no sense at all.

Why does this make no sense?

Are you thinking that he has so much trade power, I don't get why this makes no sense.

Please explain.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We kept Izturis and instead of keeping Bianchi and instead of giving Maldanado regular ABs, he will now rot on the bench.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I agree that Izturis should go instead of Bianchi, but I take fondy's point. Maybe they want to observe some protocol about not dumping FA vets if other things are equal, and they see other things as equal in this case. I would rather take a longer look at Bianchi, based on the small chance that he could show something and stick, but I can't say it looks like a big opportunity squandered. It's no more stupid than signing Izturis was to begin with.

I always had a soft spot for Kottaras, but I'm very happy that whoever made this decision saw that Maldonado has more value going forward. Or, who knows, maybe they were just thinking about money. Whatever; it's the right decision. Also, as yoyo pointed out, the move doesn't diminish our ability to get something for Kottaras before the deadline.

I would have DFA'd Izturis and Optioned Maldonado. Bianchi starts at SS. You need to see if he can cut it at the major league level with regular playing time, he was batting .305 in AAA before being regulated to the Brewers bench. Maldonado 5-6 days a week in AAA to keep working on his bat. Trade Kottaras to anyone willing to take him and bring up Dayton Buller to be the backup. Once September comes, bring back Maldonado to play every couple days and be a late inning defensive sub. I really don't understand what is so hard about that. I am starting to lose faith in DM. He better wow me with what he gets for ZG.

Maldonado staying in Milwaukee is the right move. He's never going to be the starter here. So the sooner he gets used to 1 start a week and some PH opportuntiites, the better. Because as long as he's in the organization, that will be his role.

If he is never going to be a starter, then we need to trade him to a team that thinks he will be. Having him playing 1-2 times a week will not show that his bat is real (and it may not be) but that's what needs to be done. I don't care about the backlash from the average fan. They won't go to games when they are losing anyways. The team needs to build a winner and wasting potential assets to back up roles or sending a possible future starter to the minors when you have absolutely nothing blocking him at the major league level is just awful roster management.

The Brewers just cleared space on their roster for the return of catcher Jonathan Lucroy by designating catcher George Kottaras for assignment. That means they decided to keep as the backup Martin Maldonado, who has performed well since coming up from the minors.

The Brewers also have optioned infielder Jeff Bianchi back to Class AAA Nashville and called up reliever Jim Henderson from the club to bolster their sagging bullpen.

Kottaras had been in a prolonged batting slump that dropped his average to .209 in 86 at-bats with three homers and 12 RBI. Maldonado has been an unexpected offensive contributor, batting .275 with five homers and 19 RBI in 153 at-bats. Maldonado is also rated a better defensive catcher and that combination has won him the backup role behind Lucroy. »Read Full Blog Post(14)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Worrying about Itzuris over Bianchi is like wondering which chair to save on the Titanic.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So we are writing of Bianchi after 11 major league plate appearances? Listen, I'm not saying he is definitely going to be able to cut it, but we know what we have in Izturis, we know almost nothing about Bianchi other than he can hit in AAA.

Doesn't this mean that Wolf has to be DFA as well?

I mean we know he can't throw to anyone other then George.......

I wonder what he did prior to coming to the Brewers. This whole he only wants to throw to Kottaras thing is so overblown. There is a difference between not wanting to throw to one guy and only wanting to throw to one guy. He and Luc didn't see eye to eye when working together. So what? That does not mean he can't see eye to eye with everyone else.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If he is never going to be a starter, then we need to trade him to a team that thinks he will be. Having him playing 1-2 times a week will not show that his bat is real (and it may not be) but that's what needs to be done. I don't care about the backlash from the average fan. They won't go to games when they are losing anyways. The team needs to build a winner and wasting potential assets to back up roles or sending a possible future starter to the minors when you have absolutely nothing blocking him at the major league level is just awful roster management.

Not sure what you're saying, I thought you wanted him sent down to the minors, now you want him to stay? 1 or 2 starts a week may not show off his bat, but neither will putting up numbers in Nashville. GMs would rather see some success at the MLB level anyhow.

Finally, what do you think his trade value is? There is nothing wrong at all with having a young catcher at a minimal salary controlled for the next 6 years. What if Lucroy gets injured again? Maldondo is far more valuable as a backup ctacher than anything you would get for him in a trade.

No, I want Maldonado in AAA so he can play everyday. He can't play everyday with Lucroy in the Big Leagues. I want Bianchi in the Majors because we have nothing better than him and no players that are in the long term plans at SS. (Sorry, I was ranting before because I'm super pissed so it may not have been clear).

I don't know what we can get for Maldonado, but I bet we could get a set up man or very good middle relief (which we need!) and that would help this team much more than a back up catcher. I am also not suggesting you trade Maldonado now, he is a much better candidate for an off season trade when all 29 other teams may be listening. As far as your point that GMs would rather see some success at the MLB level, I 100% agree. However, I think the chances of him sustaining that success will be greatly diminished with limited playing time. It would be better to keep him in a routine, playing almost every day in AAA. Bring him back up to the Majors in September after Nashville's season is over to get a few more major league ABs.

Archived