Brewer Fanatic

Impressions of Roenicke 2012

adambr2

Roenicke has been reported to be getting all over the Brewers about poor fundamentals recently if you go by what BA has had to say on recent broadcasts.

But "poor fundamentals!" and "mental mistakes!" are always two of the first talking points thrown around whenever the Brewers struggle. Doesn't matter who the manager is. It's happened under Yost, Macha, and of course now Roenicke.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But "poor fundamentals!" and "mental mistakes!" are always two of the first talking points thrown around whenever the Brewers struggle. Doesn't matter who the manager is. It's happened under Yost, Macha, and of course now Roenicke.

Which seems to point at the root cause being poor player development.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Or that fans can't accept that every player & every team makes fundamental & mental mistakes. But when your team is losing a lot, you don't have the Ws to wipe the frustrations out of your memory banks.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Every team has mental lapses; it not the fault of any manager or front office. It happens. It is just a convenient excuse to blame someone when the team sucks. The Crew had there fair share of dumb moments last year but we all forgot about them since the team was winning.

The Crew had there fair share of dumb moments last year but we all forgot about them since the team was winning.

Most of which came from the lack of ability to manage the team, and it has carried into this year, which is more noticeable since we are losing...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Seriously, someone forgetting the count or the outs is not the manager's fault. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that RR has said something to the team about those kinds of stupid things. There's nothing he can really do. Players have to take responsibility for themselves and keep their heads in the game.

I wonder what changed from last year when he did.

He didn't last year. The players made the run last year, and RR was just along for the ride. He was bailed out of so many horrible decisions by the late inning rallies it was nuts.

He isn't a manager, he is a buddy. When things are going good that works okay, but when the team needs a kick in the ass that doesn't work. He has zero balls.

I saw on the MLB network today Showalter chewing out a player for riding around on a little scooter thing pregame telling him "We are here to win games." RR would never due that he would be right next to the player joking around.

Fielder left? That may sound far-fetched, but I imagine that Prince would have just about killed someone by now for all the sloppy play we're seeing. I don't know that we have anyone currently on the roster or the coaching staff that "demands excellence."

Of course I also don't know that we don't currently have anyone like that, but I'm starting to believe that Prince brought a lot more to the table than just his big bat.

I saw on the MLB network today Showalter chewing out a player for riding around on a little scooter thing pregame telling him "We are here to win games." RR would never due that he would be right next to the player joking around.

That was a practical joke on the player by Buck. It was quite funny really.

Fielder left? That may sound far-fetched, but I imagine that Prince would have just about killed someone by now for all the sloppy play we're seeing. I don't know that we have anyone currently on the roster or the coaching staff that "demands excellence."

Of course I also don't know that we don't currently have anyone like that, but I'm starting to believe that Prince brought a lot more to the table than just his big bat.

Everything everyone has said, said specifically Prince did NOT do anything like that.

It was Counsell, Hawkins, Kotsay, etc. NOT Prince. The same way everyone says "Braun leads by example."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

He didn't last year. The players made the run last year, and RR was just along for the ride. He was bailed out of so many horrible decisions by the late inning rallies it was nuts.

Yet this season it's his fault they aren't playing well. If the team does well it's the player who did it if they don't the manager sucks. Funny how that works.

He isn't a manager, he is a buddy. When things are going good that works okay, but when the team needs a kick in the ass that doesn't work. He has zero balls.

This is nothing more than conjecture. You have no way of knowing this is true in any way. While I think sometimes you have to be spell out what needs to be done I've never felt the proverbial kicking of butts was a good way to create better play. Adults do better being treated like adults than yelled at like little kids.

Would this be the same guy who's team lost 93 games last season? There doesn't seem to be any correlation to winning and yelling at guys to me. Honestly I don't think any employer yelling at their employee really does much to improve production over the long haul.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Everything everyone has said, said specifically Prince did NOT do anything like that.

It was Counsell, Hawkins, Kotsay, etc. NOT Prince. The same way everyone says "Braun leads by example."

I never saw any of them jump all over Parra for trying to slink back into the clubhouse after stinking up the joint, nor did I ever witness any of them play with intensity or passion anywhere near that of Prince. They may have provided "veteran leadership" and 2 of them were definitely "Roenicke's sounding boards" but that doesn't equate to them demanding excellence.

No we only watched a big fat guy assault a teammate.

I probably consider that incident the low point of Fielder's time in Milwaukee. I didn't see it as leadership, just a guy being a complete jerk.

No we only watched a big fat guy assault a teammate.

I probably consider that incident the low point of Fielder's time in Milwaukee. I didn't see it as leadership, just a guy being a complete jerk.

I know I can't believe a player would get upset when a pouty teammate hit him with whipped towel after getting called out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

For all the finger pointing, and "Fielder's gone, he would have done something about it" blah blah blah blah blah.....

Wolf sucks. Axford and K-Rod have not been good. Gallardo has been average, instead of very good. So instead of being right around the middle of the pack in the league, the pitching has sucked. Then you have all the injuries on offense (Gamel, Rodriguez, Lucroy) coupled with Weeks absolutely sucking, it's not real hard to figure out where the wins have gone.

Fielder wouldn't make Wolf, Axford, and K-Rod better. Fielder wouldn't make Weeks suddenly not suck. Fielder couldn't have stopped Lucroy from punching the wall or whatever (oops, I mean drop a suitcase on his hand).

For all the baserunning blunders and sloppy play people want to blame this on, along with Roenicke's poor management, nothing's changed really. Take away the injuries. Plug in 2011 Rickie Weeks, John Axford, and Randy Wolf, and the Crew are probably standing at the top of the division, Roenicke or not.

Carlos Gomez batting lead off against a RHP is what I find ridiculous. A career .291 OBP hitter with a .291 OBP OBP this year. Doesn't have the platoon advantage tonight? No problem! Gomez had a good spring training a couple of years ago, so he should be good there.

RR thinks Gomez is better hitter than he really is because he looks like he should be. RR won't let something like reality get in the way of his expert ability to read talent.

Archived