Brewer Fanatic

2012-07-25 Brewers (Estrada) at Phillies (Worley), 12:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-6, 10 innings. No, seriously.]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]July 25 | 12:05 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (44-52) | Phillies (44-54)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/phillies.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/brewers/estrada-10.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/phillies/worley-01.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]0-4, 4.10 ERA, 1.04 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Phillies | Game Log[/h3][h3]Estrada remains winless despite pitching reasonably well since coming off the DL in late June. He has not surrendered more than three runs in any of his four starts since then, and has 45 strikeouts in 24 2/3 innings.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]5-6, 3.82 ERA, 1.39 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Worley had a Jekyll and Hyde night Friday in a loss to San Francisco. He retired 13 of the first 14 batters he faced, striking out seven, before allowing eight of the final 13 batters to reach. He allowed six runs in six innings in the loss.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Carlos Gomez
  2. RF Nyjer Morgan
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramirez
  5. 1B Corey Hart
  6. 2B Rickie Weeks
  7. C Martin Maldonado
  8. SS Cody Ransom
  9. P Marco Estrada

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. SS Jimmy Rollins
  2. CF Shane Victorino
  3. 2B Chase Utley
  4. 1B Ryan Howard
  5. RF Hunter Pence
  6. 3B Ty Wigginton
  7. LF Juan Pierre
  8. C Erik Kratz
  9. RHP Vance Worley

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bases loaded with no out in a 0-0 game in the 2nd and RR plays for 1 run. Unfriggin' believable. Then again, he has a sub .300 OBP hitter, without the platoon advantage, leading off, so I shouldn't be surprised by anything he does. He likes bunts so he does them. He likes players, so he plays them. No logic necessary.

What happened with Maldonado getting picked off 3rd last night? Botched squeeze or just caught leading off too far?

By the looks of RR's reaction and Uecker's commentary, Ransom either missed a sign or tried to bunt for a base hit on his own and horribly failed.

Well, I hope we get some clarification from RR after the game.

What happened with Maldonado getting picked off 3rd last night? Botched squeeze or just caught leading off too far?

Not paying attention. He was maybe 5 or 6 feet off of 3rd base looking at Gomez and Lee lobbed a throw over and by the time Maldonado realized it he couldn't get back to 3rd without being tagged.

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, but Uecker had Mark A. in the booth, and he had some interesting comments:

- Mentioned that the Brewers looked into trading for H. Ramirez before signing ARam. He was surprised at how much of the contract the Dodgers took on in that deal.

- Mentioned that Greinke's situation is trending opposite of how Hamels' worked out. With Z.G. so close to FA, likely that he wants to pursue it (duh).

- disheartening to witness the bullpen implode last night.

- touched again on how much Greinke does like Milwaukee, and that if Melvin trades him this year it wouldn't discourage him signing with the Brewers for 2013.

He was standing a few steps off 3rd base, and wasn't paying attention to the ball - looked like he was staring in to home plate for some reason. Lee tossed to 3rd, caught him in a rundown. I think the baseball expression is "caught napping".

Well, the good news is there is a good chance the bullpen won't cough up a big lead today!

Fun fact.... if Ramirez can average 16 GIDP/year (his career average) and play until he is 40, he'll get into the top 20 all-time GIDP list! Do they give you first AND second base when that happens?

He was standing a few steps off 3rd base, and wasn't paying attention to the ball - looked like he was staring in to home plate for some reason. Lee tossed to 3rd, caught him in a rundown. I think the baseball expression is "caught napping".

Thanks everyone for an explanation.

"touched again on how much Greinke does like Milwaukee, and that if Melvin trades him this year it wouldn't discourage him signing with the Brewers for 2013."

Glad to hear that. If trades are handled professionally, I don't see why a team couldn't sign a traded player in their next free agency. It certainly happens. On the flip side, if the Brewers don't trade Greinke but he still makes it to free agency, why should we assume the Brewers have an advantage over other teams?

Gomez is only 26 and sure enough, looks like he is beginning to develop some OK power for a CF. His OBP is still terrible but with his great defense, a team can easily justify platooning him and batting him 7th. He may even develop into an every day player in the next couple of years. Here's his current rest-of-season ZiPS projection: .246/.300/.384/.684

Of course, RR sees it completely different but whatever. At least there's a good chance that he won't be able to misuse him next year.

Glad to hear that. If trades are handled professionally, I don't see why a team couldn't sign a traded player in their next free agency. It certainly happens. On the flip side, if the Brewers don't trade Greinke but he still makes it to free agency, why should we assume the Brewers have an advantage over other teams?

I thought I remember the Brewers trading Jim Slaton for Ben Oglivie, then signing Slaton back in the off season. Different era, different economics, but hopefully if ZG leaves on good terms there is a shot. Heck, trading him might make us better next year and more attractive.

I was going to say the same thing; does anyone really care? The outcome of this game or the rest of the games this season is really secondary to what the Brewers will look like come 2013. I have the transaction forum sticked this afternoon; not really even paying attention to the game

Hey, it's a game again.

I was going to say the same thing; does anyone really care? The outcome of this game or the rest of the games this season is really secondary to what the Brewers will look like come 2013.

Agreed. In terms of performance on the field, my primary focus in the next couple of months will be things like:

* Fiers: Will he continue to play well, maybe even continue to be great?

* Weeks: Is he largely out of his funk (just HR'd) and can we expect him to be the old Weeks next year?

* Maldonado: Will he continue to do well until Lucroy comes back?

* Lucroy: How does he do when he comes back?

* Axford: Is he going to be OK going forward?

Whether the Brewers actually win... well, that is very secondary.

Hey, it's a game again.

Agreed. In terms of performance on the field, my primary focus in the next couple of months will be things like:

* Fiers: Will he continue to play well, maybe even continue to be great?

* Weeks: Is he largely out of his funk (just HR'd) and can we expect him to be the old Weeks next year?

* Maldonado: Will he continue to do well until Lucroy comes back?

* Lucroy: How does he do when he comes back?

* Axford: Is he going to be OK going forward?

Whether the Brewers actually win... well, that is very secondary.

I care, inasmuch as I hate to see the team give away games they could win, even if a post-season spot isn't really at issue (and even while I know that losing would mean a better draft position).

Your list hits the high-points of what to watch for in the next few months, but I'll add a few of my own.

* Replacement-Level relievers: Can we find any?

* Thornburg: Unless he moves into a setup role, I'd expect a few more spot starts in his future.

* Peralta, Schaffer: Do they come up before the rosters expand? Will either one have an opportunity to put themselves into the teams' plans for 2013?

Everytime I listen to Augie I feel like he is talking to fans as if they are 10 year old kids who have never watched a baseball game before.

What I learned today is if your bullpen is going to suck it's good to have "veterans" out there because they can handle it better.

Good to know...............

Archived