Brewer Fanatic

Wandy Rodriguez to Pirates

splitterpfj

The @Pirates have acquired LHP Wandy Rodriguez & cash from the #Astros for Rudy Owens, Colton Cain & Robbie Grossman.

No word on the amount of cash yet. All three of those guys were top 20 prospects in pittsburgh's system, but Owens is really the only one having a decent season. Seems like a move to get out from underneath the contract (even if they're paying a portion of it) and get some organizational depth.

Verified Member

Good move by the Pirates. I don't understand why so many commentators seem low on Wandy. I would have considered taking that contract w/out salary relief if Houston didn't want much in return.

Also, I just looked this up for curiosity's sake, and peripherals are obviously more important than surface stats to a certain degree, different leagues, etc., but over the last five (2008-12) seasons:

Greinke: 939.1 IP, 3.39 ERA, 1.200 WHIP

Rodriguez: 859.2 IP, 3.45 ERA, 1.280 WHIP

Rodriguez is a very reliable, consistent arm. But he's 33 and his strikeout rates are declining. He's also owed probably close to $20M through next year (rest of this year, $13M, and a $2.5M buyout), which is why the Astros were eager to move him. But he should help out Pittsburgh this year (and there's some amount of money coming their way as well), so I think it's a good deal for both sides. I don't know a ton about the other guys, but Owens could develop into a pretty decent back of the rotation starter.

Looks like a salary dump for the Astros. The Pirates getting Wandy at this point would be pretty much akin to the Brewers getting Wolf three years ago. I don't see this as a huge upgrade, but it is certainly a sign that the Pirates are going for it.

huge trade for the pirates, with MacDonald, Burnett, Karstens and Wandy all locked in for the rotation next year, pirates are making some good moves. first "blockbuster" addition for Neal Huntington since he became GM

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wandy reminds me a lot of Wolf just a couple of years younger. The trade making that last option vest is a little tricky. I suspect that last year will be 13 million on a 5th starter, rather than the current solid production.

Wandy reminds me a lot of Wolf just a couple of years younger. The trade making that last option vest is a little tricky. I suspect that last year will be 13 million on a 5th starter, rather than the current solid production.

Here is breakdown of money the Pirates will owe to Wandy Rodriguez: They'll pay $1.7M this year (of $10 he's making), $8.5M in 2013 (of $13M). If player option is exercised, Pirates will pay Rodriguez $7.5M in 2014 (of $13M).

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived