Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Position Prospects-Lower levels....

Clearly the Brewers are suffering from a pretty serious gap in our prospects right now at the higher levels with the only young position players of note really being Gamel who much to my disappointment may have lost his oppurtunity with the Brewers as I think it's likely that the Brewers stick with Hart and Aoki next year and open up CF to Gomez and Schafer(I'd like to see Gomez just given the everyday job again and see what he can do with it as he was really performing well prior to his injury, and he shows some incredible signs at the plate, has great bat speed, and every physical tool needed to not only be a good player, but a superstar. Now I'm not expecting that, but I do think he was rushed up a bit too early and once you're relagated to being a platoon player at age 25 years old, you tend to press.

But I digress. Just wanted to get some thoughts on the young guys we have coming up who seem to have a ton of tools, but are still a long way away.

I think when you break them down, the system looks a little bit better than I think some have us currently ranked.

Anyway, just wanted to some thoughts on these guys, many of which are recent signees.

1-Lance Roenicke

What’s the deal with this kid? Is he a legit prospect, or is this just small sample size run amuck? Because he seemed to be drafted as an organizational favor as is so often done, but he’s performed exceptionally well.

2-Chris McFarland

I knew last year when we grabbed him out of FSU that he was a guy who should have been picked much higher. My question is, I thought he was a SS? Why is he getting so much time so young playing 2nd base? I thought his upside was that of a starting SS? Perhaps a D’vo type talent, but at SS. What’s the reason for playing him at 2nd in rookie ball?

3-Jose Pena

He was a bit of a bonus baby IIRC. He’s putting up big numbers. Is he a guy who has the ceiling of a everyday big league RF’er? I understand that’s tough to say definitively at this stage, but I’m just talking upside. He’s certainly performing well.

4-Clint Coulter

Another catcher who it sounds as though may not stick there. He’s a personal favorite of mine as a HS Wrestler as I was and as a state champ at my weight. Of course he won state in a weak wrestling state and probably doesn’t place at Wisconsin, but he did do it as a Soph. I’m only half serious here. Does he project to be a long term C or does his bat have enough in it to potentially play 3rd, 1st, or a corner OF spot. He’s really hitting the ball well as of late. But with little power. Still, the kid was in HS last month basically.

5-Raul Mondesi Jr

Another bonus baby. He’s striking out at a very high clip. He’s also young. I remember his old mans cannon of an arm that may not have been Clemente like, but it was pretty damn close.

Roache is obviously a guy I’m interested in. 30 HR’s in what I believe was the first year of the new bats is impressive. Is he a guy who can be a .280 hitter with great plate awareness and hit 30-35 HR’s, or what’s his ceiling, defensively as well.

6-Josh Prince-CF???????This is the most baffling thing the Brewers have done in quite some time to me. Take a guy who I was under the impression was a serviceable Shortstop, and from what I saw could field the position and move him to the most crowded position in the big leagues?

7-Mitch Haniger

I haven’t seen his name on the link reports as of late. Now I’ve had 3 weddings, 2 bachelor parties, a birthday party in Vegas, and got together with all my college friends for a week up on Lake Minaqua. So I haven’t been up to touch. I haven’t seen him. Is he on the DL, or what’s the deal with him?

8-Cameron Garfield

This kid is tearing it up right now in Low-A ball, but I thought his defense has always been a question mark.

9-Shawn Zarraga

The obvious next question. Does he have the bat to stick at a corner spot? It seems like the Brewers are starting to churn out catchers pretty quietly under the radar. Maldy, obviously Luc, Garfield, Zarraga, Coulitier. That’s 5 legit catching prospects or big league catchers. Obviously the later three are a long way away, but we’re a long way away from needing a big league catcher. My only hope here is that Kottaras is gone and the human pitching tire doesn’t catch for us again after this year. It makes me question Wolf a bit that he prefers him over a guy like Maldy especially, but Lucroy as well. What, he can’t get through a game with the other two and would rather have a guy out there who lets a fastball on the inner half become a passed ball as he did vs the Phillies with Parra on the mound on what was a strike with a man on 3rd base? It’s baffling.

10-Tyrone Taylor

He’s obviously come out of the gate like a mad man. He’s hitting the ball exceptionally well. Again, are we looking at small sample sizes, or are we talking about a guy who might have just been a bit of a steal?

And then two potential 1st basemen in;

11-Hunter Morris who’s absolutely dominating in AA with an OPS over .900. The 4th round pick who passed up signing with the Red Sox as a 2nd rounder is really starting to look like he could be a solid big leaguer. And 12-Jason Rogers who went through a white hot stretch.

Now I know that none of these guys are Brett Lawrie types or Ryan Braun type players, but when you toss them into the Gennett, Schafer, Gindl, Green and Gamel types who I’m still very high on, I think we’ve got enough players with the tools that I think our minor league system is a bit underrated when it comes to position players, and with guys like Braun, Lucroy and Maldonado, which could end up being an absoltely elite catching duo, in fact such a good 1-2 that you may try to get Lucroy some playing time in the OF, or somewhere else on the field so you can give Maldy 2-3 starts a week behind the plate and Lucroy 3-4. Weeks is locked up and I'm still confident in his ability. Aoki, Gomez who I'm stubbornly still intrigued by, and I think it just takes a 1-2 or 3 of these guys really exploding through the system to give us a nice big boost.

ESPECIALLY if we can net a couple 1st round picks for Marcum next year, or at least offer him arbitration and trade him next deadline to stock the system, get something for Greinke, Simmons from Atlanta at this point would be a dream(which is funny because I was told how much I was underestimating Grienke when I wanted to trade him plus K-Rod or even Axford for Profar). Anything for K-Rod, etc..etc..

Just wanted to get some other thoughts on our future positional prospects. They’re obviously behind the pitching we’ve got, but just wanted to get some others opinions on what we’ve got coming up through the lower levels.

I guess our system just appears to be such a giant mess right now, not because of a lack of talent per say, but because of the inequity in position players at the big league level, the big salaries of some of the guys on the big league club that are pretty much wasted in Greinke doesn't re-sign as Aram and his 15 million per the next 2 years is an awful waste if you're not cotending. The same could be said for Hart and Weeks.

But we've obviously got the arms on the way up that with some luck could develop as a group. Not 7 or 8, but just 2 or 3 guys who can hit his ceiling.

Anyway, post your thoughts on some of these guys. I left off a few obvious. The Davis' duo, Reed as well as others. But these seem to be the guys with the most tools and pure talent...except for Roenicke which just baffles me at this point.

Maybe he'll be like his dad. 96 wins 1st year in the system, then 75 the next! Hope not though.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
With the exception of Shawn Zarraga, who has been on the DL with an undisclosed injury since May 26th, and Jose Pena, who has been discussed but not necessarily featured because of the lack of Maryvale coverage, all the players you have mentioned have had feature articles, audio interviews, and/or online Q&A's posted and linked on our forum pages within the past 4-6 weeks. While it may be more difficult to review other reader's comments within older individual Link Reports, certainly the individual team feature threads would have value for you if you're trying to play catch-up.

I'm really excited about Tyrone Taylor and Chris McFarland. A toolsy centerfielder and a middle infielder, even if it is at second base. And hopefully Haniger and Roach can come back from their injuries strong next year. Roache may end up being a real steal if he can come back at full strength. He had the chance to be a top 10 pick before he got hurt.

Another guy I like who wasn't on the list is Michael Reed. Milwaukee is really stacked in the outfield (Reed, Taylor, Haniger, Roache, Kh Davis, Ke Davis, Schafer, Gindl, plus some guys in AZ like Mondesi, Hernandez and Macolm Dowell).

Seid & Co. have actually done a nice job of building depth in the system in recent years. While there aren't any star-caliber prospects yet, there's a pretty big pool of quality 'spects, and you never know who might take a huge step forward at any given time (Hunter Morris?). It's nice to see the positional side of things looking fairly healthy, and if you can add an Olt/Castellanos for Greinke, your system gets that much better.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ok, I'll bite ...

Chris McFarland, is the real deal. He may be the best infield prospect I have seen in Helena since Jeff Cirillo. Alcides Escobar was very, very young while in Helena and I still think Yadiel Rivera has a shot. I liked Eric Farris alot but McFarland is bigger with more power. He is now making big league defensive plays based on his athletic ability and should only get better as he learns the position, great range and instincts. At the plate he drives the ball using his lower body. Quick hands, makes contact, the ball really jumps off his bat. He could probably play SS but I think it's wise that he is concentrating on 2B, could be very special.

Raul Mondesi Jr, needs to learn discipline at the plate and in the field. Has some tools, good arm, covers gound in the OF, plays hard, a fault could be that he tries to make a play when he shouldn't.

His swing is pretty much all or nothing, hence the SO's and the HR's.

I understand at this level they tend to let the players be and not change things too much. Is not really a power hitter but could be a doubles triples guy if he would concentrate on making contact, decent speed. Is not very big but is solid, probably not going to grow much physically at this point (unlike his brother).

Tyronne Taylor, another guy I really like. Maybe the best OF prospect since Michael Brantley. I really liked Caleb Gindl but he and Tyronne are different players. Tyrone has a frame that he will grow into and can probably put on another 20 lbs of muscle and not lose speed or athletic ability. Good speed, covers ground in the OF, good arm, definately has CF talent. Has a nice swing and seems to have a good understanding of the strike zone and how to hit. He has a ton of ability and looks to have had good coaching up to this point. No real holes in his game, just needs to mature physically and play. A very good 2nd round pick.

I won't comment much on Reed, as I cannot figure him out. He has the physical tools. He may be pressing and is too hard on himself.

I don't think tho he has the skill or instincts to play CF.

A guy that is being overlooked, in my opinion, is Yonki Hernandez.

A switch hitter who is batting .300, steals bases and plays good outfield. May be a little old to be considered a prospect, but his speed and ability to hit from both sides is a real plus. May grow and fill out a bit but probably will not have much power. The team seems to play better when he is in there, makes things happen, some intangibles there.

MTBrew what are your thoughts thus far on Ruben Ozuna who is having a bit of a rough season after playing very strong past 2 seasons and while small sample Andres Martinez who I have followed closely in DSL and Arizona? Thanks in advance!

Rivera's name needs to be mentioned. Very slick fielding SS, and already has pop. Now all he needs is plate discipline.

All the world talent in the can't hide from this. Does not walk at all, k's at a very high rate, and is the definition of an all or nothing free swinger. Still have high hopes for him, he has eveything u'd want in a SS prospect except one of the most important....the ability to consistantly get on base. He has that Weeks thing to him. We will go on stretches that will make you just say wow, this guy is special!!! then other stretches where its like wow, what is he doing up there!? Hopefully he continues to grow as a hitter, still young and learning but i just want to see him hit for some average and take a few walks. If he can't, Arcia will and bypass him.

YoungGeezy,

You probably know much more about Ozuna and Martinez than I do, and I am curious on your analysis as well. But here are my thoughts ...

Martinez have been a very pleasant surprise. A big guy, who is a bit mechanical at times and while not athletic makes the plays at 3B on the balls he gets to. A great arm, he effortlessly makes the 3B - 1B throw and is very accurate and strong. He seems to know what he is doing at the plate, not up there hacking. Has a nice level stroke and generates power thru his lower body. The HR he hit last night was really crushed, no fluke about it, the longest ball hit by a Brewer to LF I have seen in a long time, easily 400+ feet. Another plus thing is that he is involved with the game and is into each play, situational awareness is high. Seems like a smart kid, not sure of his age but appears physically mature. I hope he gets the majority of 3B time thru the rest of the season, not sure why he has played so sporatically.

Ozuna has played very little this year. Last year, before he was hurt, I would have described him as raw and overmatched. I expected more this year but haven't seen it. I just don't see a skill or set of tools that stands him apart, I also think maybe he needs more coaching. Seems like a decent athlete, and has good size and pretty good speed. Maybe more playing time in AZ would be helpful.

Awesome reports! Its great to have a dedicated and knowledgable Helena fan on the board for these type of insights! Truely grateful. Martinez is 20 years old (a January birthday) and was orginally a SS which really sparked my attention on him plus the fact he was one of the very few everyday players that first year the crew went back to DSL and teamed with the O's. Hewas 17 then. He never hit for much average or walked much and k'd alot but from what you have seen, its sounds like he has closed some of the gaps in swing up a bit and is focusing more on making contact. He has gorwn a bunch since he was 17 and guessing that is why they moved him over to 3rd. I'd like to see him play more but in Helena they rotate lineup so much to get everyone in. He is a guy I pull and hope continues to grow as a prospect. Think he has some potential.

Thats all i have on him from following him and without watching him play.

With the exception of Shawn Zarraga, who has been on the DL with an undisclosed injury since May 26th, and Jose Pena, who has been discussed but not necessarily featured because of the lack of Maryvale coverage, all the players you have mentioned have had feature articles, audio interviews, and/or online Q&A's posted and linked on our forum pages within the past 4-6 weeks. While it may be more difficult to review other reader's comments within older individual Link Reports, certainly the individual team feature threads would have value for you if you're trying to play catch-up.

Not trying to play catch up per say, just trying to get some opinions on these guys beyond their stat lines.

Simply trying to get a discussion going on the younger guys, and in the link reports, any comments you make are seldom responded to as the next day, new link report and there is very little discussion.

And in the articles about these guys, I equate them to the fluff pieces written about an UDFA out of Utah State or wherever in Packers training camp coverage.

So, all you want is a scouting report on 12 Brewers hitters?

Christ man, read the last week or two worth of link reports. Many of your questions can be answered from the information provided there.

Jesus...are you kidding me? First of all, you know what's REALLY easy? Even easier than reading the link reports and scouting reports? NOT clicking onto a link. If you don't like what I post, frankly, too bad.

I was simply trying to get a discussion going on the young guys in our system with tools beyond looking at their age, a scouting report that's dated by now, and the link reports that have almost no discussion back and forth since they're put out everyday.

Essentially, I was asking the opinions of others as to what they think about some of these guys in lieu of the power 50.

But again dude, if you don't like it, is it so hard to keep your mouth shut if you have absolutely nothing to add? Hold that thought...I already know my answer.

I'm really excited about Tyrone Taylor and Chris McFarland. A toolsy centerfielder and a middle infielder, even if it is at second base. And hopefully Haniger and Roach can come back from their injuries strong next year. Roache may end up being a real steal if he can come back at full strength. He had the chance to be a top 10 pick before he got hurt.

Another guy I like who wasn't on the list is Michael Reed. Milwaukee is really stacked in the outfield (Reed, Taylor, Haniger, Roache, Kh Davis, Ke Davis, Schafer, Gindl, plus some guys in AZ like Mondesi, Hernandez and Macolm Dowell).

Thank you. This is the type of discussion I was trying to get going that seemed to upset a poster for some odd reason.

I love watching the young guys who have tools actually having success right out of the gate. That probably sounds obvious, and it's not like a 18 year old that struggles in his first taste of pro-ball is doomed to struggle, but it's that much more exciting when a young guy can come out and show that he can hang with these guys.

I have to say, I'm really confused as to the Brewers approach with Shortstops. There is PLENTY of time between rookie leagues and the big leagues for a guy to move off of Shortstop, but when you have talents like Josh Prince who was supposed to be an above average fielder and McFarland who was graded as a 2nd/3rd round pick and as far as I know hasn't struggled to the point where you'd move him off short, or for that matter even have him playing there just part time.

Honestly, these guys are what keeps us Brewers fans going during what is almost certainly going to be a string of 70-ish win seasons the next couple years. The prospect of a guy like Roache starting out in Appleton next year and getting a chance to watch him in person.

In fact, I think the Rattlers have a chance to be a really prospect laden team next year.

I'll echo Sessile & YG -- thanks MTBrew! Great to read those firsthand accounts.

As do I. I truly appreciate the FIRST HAND opinions, not just reading their box scores and hearing how in this game they played well and did this.

This isn't in ANY WAY the slightest bit of a complaint. This is just the fact of the matter. The fact is, it's difficult to get a real good feel for these guys on the scraps of scouting reports that are out there, and then just by reading their box scores.

For instance, I now understand a LITTLE more why McFarland was moved off of SS(or at least is playing more 2nd base). If they don't think he'll be able to handle that long term and a ACTUAL PERSON who watched him play agrees, I will lower my objection a little bit.

I still think we should try to keep him at SS as long as possible, but again, I haven't watched a SINGLE Helena game.

So with all due respect to Teda-whatever, I appreciate the legit responses without the asinine whining because they didn't like the post. Again, it's a miserable season and the only thing I'm looking forward to following these guys and seeing what we have to look forward to and who is likely to stick.

By the way, I thought I had Yadiel Rivera on there. That's obviously an egregious oversight. He's the top SS prospect in the system right now with Arcia down for the season.

Incidentally, I've seen the numbers that Arcia has put up, but I'd also be interested in anyone who has any more insight on him.

And moving away from the position players, does anyone know what type of stuff Gian Rizzo has? The guy has a .33 ERA right now unless I'm mistaken.

He's absolutely DOMINATED in the Domincan Summer League and I'm excited to see what others think, what he throws and especially when he's likely to be coming stateside. I'd love to see him pitching in AZ right now, or even Helena.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
And in the articles about these guys, I equate them to the fluff pieces written about an UDFA out of Utah State or wherever in Packers training camp coverage.

For every "fluff" hometown feature (and there are those), I can point you to plenty of pieces from the Post-Crescent and the Helena newspaper that provide so much more. Do you read Bob Brainerd's features? Do you listen to the linked audio, particularly from Helena re: propsect insights?

And the sniping stops now.

Now.

From you and those that interact with you here.

I agree with this sentiment. I live in OKC and last year i got to watch the sounds play the redhawks for a series. The scouting reports were mostly accurate i guess, but the thing that stood out to me the most in the series last year was that Logan Schafer was by far the best player on the field for both teams both offensively and defensively. the OKC fans next to me, everytime Logan made an absolutely incredible rediculous catch on a ball that was a sure hit, were beside themselves saying, "who is this guy!?" He also consistently dove the ball into the gaps and narrowly missed several homeruns due to the large outfield walls at bricktown. Reading his scouting reports i would have thought the kid was nothing special, seeing him in person hes definately special. To put that in perspective that other players out there were gamel, gindl, green, maldonado, altuve, J.D. martinez, and bogezevic among other major leaguers.

I don't have any "inside" info as to the hows and whys of where the Brewers position or place players.

About SS and Chris McFarland, I will say that he does not have todays prototypical SS build - long, lean, rangy. That doesn't mean he could not make the plays there, he could, he is that good an athlete and has very good instincts. Just my opinion, but I think the decision to have him at 2B is a good one. He is somewhat new to the game and instead of bouncing him around different positions (ie. see Cutter Dykstra) having him focus and learn one - 2B, is the correct call.

I guess the question is, is SS a more premium position than 2B?

I don't know, but seems to me that developing a MLB ballplayer is what its all about, regardless of the position.

A comment about Josh Prince, I am not suprised he was moved off of SS. He is quick and has a decent arm (threw sidearm a lot) but his fielding was not that good. He did not move his feet, get into position and did not get in front of balls. He would get close and then just stab at balls.

I thought as he moved up he would get the infield coaching he needed and get better. I haven't seen him since he left Helena but it sounds like he plateaued out at SS.

Verified Member
Holy hell, I hadn't checked Khris Davis's stats in a while. When is this guy going to be taken more seriously as a prospect? Aside from his 2011 stint at AA (maybe pushed a little too fast) he has improved at every level, which is exactly what you want to see. And that's improving from crushing the ball to destroying the ball.

Khris' only limitation is his arm, which pretty much limits him to LF or 1B. The posters here on the MiLB side debated this early last year, but even though he's not the most toolsy guy I don't have much doubt he'll hit MLB pitching. I'd like him in LF, Braun in RF, some combination of Morris/Halton(yer welcome JB12)/Gamel at 1B, Segura at SS (if he can hack it), and Scafer in CF long term. Gennett is a legit 2B prospect, I just have a really hard time committing to his bandwagon.

The only place we don't have a prospect cemented in is 3B, maybe Arcia or Riveria bump Segura off of SS to 3B in the future? Arcia's injury really stinks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Holy hell, I hadn't checked Khris Davis's stats in a while. When is this guy going to be taken more seriously as a prospect? Aside from his 2011 stint at AA (maybe pushed a little too fast) he has improved at every level, which is exactly what you want to see. And that's improving from crushing the ball to destroying the ball.

He gets dismissed somewhat for being "older", but he's less than a year older than Hunter Morris. If "Kh" had enough PAs to qualify, he'd be leading the Southern League in OPS by appx. 150 points!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived