Brewer Fanatic

Braves acquire Ryan Dempster from Cubs [Or Not? Reply #23]

Invader3K
Sounds like this deal is dead now, with the Braves moving on from Dempster because of the delay.

I really don't get why Dempster wouldn't accept the trade to a contender. Supposedly he'd rather go to a west coast team like the Dodgers, but he only would have been in Atlanta for 2-3 months at this point. Apparently he was angry about finding out about the trade via the media.

Here's what I'm hearing. Ted Lilly is his close buddy. He was already eying the Dodgers for beyond this year. He hoped whatever team he went to he'd be able to sign an extension. Braves training in Florida is an issue. Dempster lives in Scottsdale in the offseason. It's not out of character for Dempster either. He turned down pitching for Canada several years ago.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a 10-5 player and has a contract with a no trade clause - essentially he has the right to choose where he will be traded. Everything I'm hearing is that he wants to be traded to the Dodgers, or otherwise he'll just stay in Chicago. Unfortunate for the Cubs, because the Braves' offer was more than I thought they could get for trading Dempster because his contract status means that any team that would lose him via free agency won't get any draft pick compensation, if I remember correctly. That diminishes his trade value.

If I'm the Dodgers and I know Dempster's only wanting to be traded to them, I offer the Cubs a middling prospect for him and call it a day. The Cubs are backed into a corner if they want to trade Dempster, and it's not Epstein's or Dempster's fault. 'no trade' clause contracts and 10-5 rights really hamper player movement.

Wolf looks like more of a waiver deadline guy. Veteran presence, could have a good August and someone else in the race discovers a short term need because of an injury. Not someone I'd expect a lot of talent back for but a little salary relief is possible. The buying team isn't getting a player to put them over a top it should be thought of more as a move to not give up wins with an unknown injury fill-in.

Archived