Brewer Fanatic

Braves acquire Ryan Dempster from Cubs [Or Not? Reply #23]

Invader3K

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randall Delgado could be in the deal. 22 year old currently in the Braves rotation and doing okay. 3rd best prospect for the Braves in 2012, #46 overall by BA.

Fantastic deal for the Cubs if it's true that Delgado is in it.

thats one suitor for Greinke out of the mix

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Randall Delgado could be in the deal. 22 year old currently in the Braves rotation and doing okay. 3rd best prospect for the Braves in 2012, #46 overall by BA.

Fantastic deal for the Cubs if it's true that Delgado is in it.

Good deal for us if we want to trade Greinke. It puts a value on a premium pitcher like Dempster - and thus Greinke. The Braves gave up a top 50 prospect. That makes a guy like Mike Olt a perfect trade target for Zack.

Count me as unimpressed with Delgado. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to have very good stuff or command.

yes, a 22 year old with an MLB ERA under 4 (24 starts) is pretty unimpressive. He's not an ace, but he will be a very good pitcher for very cheap in Chicago. It's a great trade for them.

Verified Member

Cubs get top-50 pitching prospect for Dempster. Reports on Twitter that he was the only pitcher available that the Braves wanted, because Melvin still won't trade Greinke. One less suitor for Greinke.

Melvin is an idiot. If he doesn't get a return better than Delgado he should be fired.

That's a nice return for the Cubs. Actually, Delgado wouldn't have been a bad return for Greinke either. I keep reading reports that the Brewers haven't really decided if they're selling. Really? I also don't think that this deal sets the bar for a Greinke deal. Every team has their own bar IMO. If teams start offering up starters with service time such as Garza, Shields, etc the market for Greinke may dry up in a hurry.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It doesn't matter what you think of Delgado. His prospect ranking was #32 by Fangraphs, #41 by John Sickels and #46 by Baseball America. That sets a value for a good pitcher. If we trade Greinke, we can be expecting someone as good if not better in the rankings (that's assuming we get a prospect).

Those rankings were pre-season, so perhaps his performance with the Braves has dimmed his value a lot. I have not seen the guy. His numbers are okay considering he just turned 22 last month.

I think we can get a very good prospect for Greinke.

Good move by the Cubs. The Braves were one team that had MLB-ready prospects to give up. Since we're looking for someone who could step in and play right away, I was hoping we could land one of their pitchers. If Dempster brought Delgado, Greinke may have brought Teheran or Delgado+a lesser prospect. Probably not going to happen now.

I really hope we move Greinke before Hamels is traded to Texas for Olt. My guess is we miss some opportunity while we wait for Greinke to "make up his mind" about the offer. There aren't that many suitors out there, and many (like the Braves) may get tired of waiting for Melvin/Greinke to make up their minds.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Count me as unimpressed with Delgado. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to have very good stuff or command.

Based on your posts you're unimpressed with every prospect.

also this.

Is Delgado really a 'prospect' anymore? He's been with the Braves for most of the season. For a young 'fireballer', he really doesn't throw that hard, nor does he have an out pitch that can consistently miss a bat. He also has a penchant for walking guys, and when he gets hit, he generally gets hit hard. I wouldn't say that he's a fly ball pitcher per se, but he has that kind of stuff which wouldn't be a good thing in Wrigley.

The bottom line here is that almost universally everyone is gushing over how this is the best trade ever. Do people really think that the Braves G.M. is that dumb? My guess is that Delgado was seen by him as the most movable of the Braves pitching prospects, and he was probably right. As for the Cubs, this is really a no lose situation for them because I keep seeing the terms 'Rental' and 'Top 50' thrown about. If Delgado pans out it becomes a steal, if he flames out, oh well they tried. In that sense, it's probably a win for the Cubs, don't get me wrong....but not as big a win as people are making it out to be.

Rumor is the next deal will Be Garza for Zach Lee, another top prospect

He's the main piece I'd want back if we traded Ramirez, so if we want to get out of the Ramirez contract and get a good return, Melvin had better move quickly.

Conventional baseball wisdom seems to be "sit back and wait until the last minute to get the best deal." Meanwhile, the Cubs are picking off all the nice peices being dangled out there by the "buyers." Everyone knew the Braves were willing to trade one of their top pitching prospects and the Dodgers were willing to trade Lee, so it was really a race to see who got them.

I just hope this is a kick in Melvin's pants to get him on the phone now. First to Greinke to tell him he has about 5 minutes to make up his mind, then to Texas about Greinke for Olt and the Dodgers about Ramirez for Lee.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The bottom line here is that almost universally everyone is gushing over how this is the best trade ever. Do people really think that the Braves G.M. is that dumb? My guess is that Delgado was seen by him as the most movable of the Braves pitching prospects, and he was probably right. As for the Cubs, this is really a no lose situation for them because I keep seeing the terms 'Rental' and 'Top 50' thrown about. If Delgado pans out it becomes a steal, if he flames out, oh well they tried. In that sense, it's probably a win for the Cubs, don't get me wrong....but not as big a win as people are making it out to be.

I think this deal is beneficial for both teams, as is the case more often than not. Delgado's ceiling is probably more as a 2/3 just looking at his profile, but even if he ends up as a dependable back of the rotation guy, it's a pretty good return for half a season of Ryan Dempster pitching out the string.

Archived