Brewer Fanatic

10 players dealt between Jays and Astros - Happ, Lyon key pieces

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like how Houston got Asher Wojciechowski in the deal - a supplemental 1st round pick in 2010. He's pitching pretty good at High A ball this year (after struggling last season). He was 10th on the Blue Jays Top 20 list, and 11th on John Sickels Top 20 list. Is he a great prospect? No. But he's a guy who can potentially help in 2 or 3 years - maybe even be in the rotation. That's the kind of move you have to make when you're rebuilding. They gave up a mediocre starting pitching who makes over $2 million (and will likely get more in 2013). Would Happ be part of your core in 2-3 years - almost no way. Lyons is a FA after 2012, so he's not going to help you. Good move for Houston.

I miss the days when the Astros were buyers at the deadline even when they were out if it. It kept them down for many many years. Kind of like the Brewers this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

david carpenter went to high school with my wife. so awesome to see someone from a small town in west virginia make it into the majors.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I am usually wrong on this stuff but it looks like Houston got the better end of that deal. Like trwi said I am not sure Happ will be even decent in the AL East

Teams get desparate as the trade deadline approaches. If a GM receives a phone call when he's in the middle of reading a newspaper article crucifying him about how they're losing games because they need starting pitching, a spreadsheet of how much value Player A has relative to Player B can be thrown out the window.

Someone should do a study on "dumb trades" and see how many are done at trade deadline vs how many are done in the offseason. I'd guess more are done at the deadline.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like how Houston got Asher Wojciechowski in the deal - a supplemental 1st round pick in 2010.

I would get a shirsey for that guy just for the surname.

it is a great name.

would it even fit on the back of a uniform?

The Cardinals manage with Rzepczynski, but that's not quite as long.

On the down side (for me), Francisco Cordero's going to be in my grill again. But maybe he'll continue to stink like he did with the Reds vs. Milwaukee last year, she said hopefully.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I miss the days when the Astros were buyers at the deadline even when they were out if it. It kept them down for many many years. Kind of like the Brewers this year.

Yeah, I'll sure miss the prospects the Brewers have given up this year. It's gonna be hard to build a rotation after all the prospects they've traded away..what..with being a "buyer," this trade deadline.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived