Brewer Fanatic

Reds series 7/20-7/22 Biggest series of the year to date

slappzilla
The Brewers aren't NEARLY as bad as everyone pretends they are.

I can only really speak for myself but I don't think people are saying the Brewers are a bad team at all. They have played poorly and have put themselves in a position where they would have to significantly outplay other teams to make the playoffs. I just don't think they are better let alone significantly better. Given that, we are not really in a realistic position to make the playoffs this year.

Let's assume everybody ahead of us plays .500 the rest of the way. Here is what we would have to do to tie these teams.

Division

Reds 43 28 60.6%

Pirates 42 29 59.2%

Cardinals 38 33 53.5%

Wild Card

Braves 41 30 57.7%

Dodgers 39 32 54.9%

Mets 38 33 53.5%

Once you think about the probability of these teams going .500 combined with the records we would have to put up, the playoffs are not a realistic goal for this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think we should be sellers but I just don't see it as realistic if we win 2 out of 3 in this series. If we are still one good winning streak away from the playoffs I just don't see ownership selling at that point.

The Dodgers are scuffling, I'm not buying the Pirates at all. The Cardinals aren't playing all that great as of late. Votto is hurt. The Mets have tanked. If you assume the Braves are going to get one wild card it is perfectly reasonable to think that we only have to beat out 2 of the 3 teams ahead of us in the division to make a playoff game. I just don't see them selling with those conditions.

Exactly what I've been thinking since the AS break - the Brewers are currently behind a ton of NL teams, but ALL of them have big question marks. I think the Brewers stand pat, or maybe make a trade or two that rearranges their ML roster but doesn't include them shipping any prospects. Unless they go in the tank for the next week, selling won't happen. I'd be more concerned with all the teams in front of them if there was 3 weeks of season left - there's over 2 months.

I'm in a very small minority. Even if they win only 1 of 3 they're still in it. Remember, we're not chasing the Reds. What if they follow that with a sweep of Phily? They can just keep hanging around and wait for that 10 out of 12 winning streak and they're right there.

Don't get me wrong, they are still a long shot. I'm just not sure they'll get a great deal for Greinke anyhow, so it may be worth keeping him and trying to re-sign him. At least right now. I think you have to let this play out until the deadline and then see where you are.

With Lucroy coming back, and hopefully Marcum, they do have a legit shot to make a run. Sometimes we forget how long the season is. 5 1/2 games back in July is not horrible, even though they do have to pass several teams. But you keep winning most series and get to .500, then wait and hope for that winning streak.

Finally, I don't even mind them buying. But it would have to be a bullpen guy or SS that is under contract for longer than this season, and I wouldn't give up a top prospect. Throw Loe or Veras and Maysonnet or Prince, something like that for a more reliable bullpen arm. I would be all for a trade like that. Look at trading guys currently on the roster you can live without, and/or prospects who are middle of the road.

Now if they tank, you can always go into a full sell mode at the deadline.

Unless we are blown away for an offer on Greinke I'd just rather play the season out and take my chances on signing him this off season. I know it is unlikely since he'll be getting offers for 6+ years at which point I don't think we should sign him but it's not like we are the cubs right now. We are capable of playing a good 2nd half and who knows what could happen. I think the only person at this point that we shop is KRod, get some salary relief, maybe a middle level prospect.

Archived