Brewer Fanatic

2012-07-18 Cardinals (Wainwright) at Brewers (Thornburg), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3; 3-error first for STL]

hawing
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Nyjer would drop it.

Another series win!!! Gotta get at least 2 vs Cincy. Letssssss goooooo!!!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He looked like he lost it in the sun for a second...but then it was routine....

I thought Nyjer would drop it.

Another series win!!! Gotta get at least 2 vs Cincy. Letssssss goooooo!!!

Did he struggle catching it? Ueck didn't paint a very clear picture on that game ending play...

So with Ax as our closer, he rarely pitched more than one inning. Now, as a non-closer, he comes in the first day in his new role and pitches 1 1/3?

Interesting that as a closer, he can't handle that, but the first day at his new job he can.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Man, that 9th inning was tense. Here at work there were like 6 people just standing around the radio for 20 minutes listening to the end of the game. High-fives all around.
3TO Apostle

So with Ax as our closer, he rarely pitched more than one inning. Now, as a non-closer, he comes in the first day in his new role and pitches 1 1/3?

Interesting that as a closer, he can't handle that, but the first day at his new job he can.

Ax has pitched more than one inning on occasion. He only threw 6 pitches in the 5th.

I'm not saying he has never done it, just that the timing is odd.

He did throw 2 innings in game 5 of the NLDS.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm not saying he has never done it, just that the timing is odd.

No it isn't. He is no longer the closer so in Reoicke's mind he can throw multiple innings now. Macha often would use him for more than an inning depending on match ups.

Which is my point. RR has it in his head that non closers can throw 1 + innings, closers can't.

The day he becomes a non-closer, he can now pitch 1+, like there was some kind of magic that takes place out of the closers role.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Verified Member
Which is my point. RR has it in his head that non closers can throw 1 + innings, closers can't.

The day he becomes a non-closer, he can now pitch 1+, like there was some kind of magic that takes place out of the closers role.

I think it is more situational. It was time to take Thornburg out, and it happened to be in the middle of an inning and Axford was the guy who came into the game. It didn't have anything to do with Axford, it had to do with Thornburg. KRod has a history of working out of trouble, so RR always let's him finish out the eighth, thus Axford never really had a shot to come in before the ninth.

Archived