Brewer Fanatic

Do it yourself.... What would you do?

chad25

Your Doug Melvin and Ron Roenicke for a year. What trades would you make now, who do you get back in return, and who do you bring up? what would your lineup and pitching staff look like at the end of the year? Who do you try and sign in the offseason or trade for? At the start of next year, whats your roster looking like?...... you dont have to answer all questions but just throwing out some ideas if your the GM.

1) Trade Zach Greinke. I would offer him 5 years 90 million (he of course wont accept it) so you ship him and K-Rod off to the Rangers for reliever Mike Adams and Alexi Ogando, or Koji Uehara (and If Uehara needs an interpreter, bonus! we already got one! haha) and Minor pitchers Roman Mendez, Tanner Sheppers, and Will Lamb. If we can get Martin Perez from the rangers too that would be great. The Rangers have the money to sign greinke long-term and at least offer K-rod something in the offseason.

2)Find a way to trade Kottaras. and if we cant then send maldonado down to the minors for regular time and tell him that hes the backup catcher next year.

3)Thornburg starts in Greinke's place until Marcum comes back and then you send Thornburg down to keep his regular innings and development going. So your rotation at the end of the year will look like: Yovanni Gallardo, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf, Michael Fiers, Marco Estrada. and the bullpen is Kameron Loe, Manny Parra, Livan Hernandez, Jose Veras, John Axford, Mike Adams and Koji Uehara or Alexi Ogando.

thats just a start to my thoughts but ill think of some more......

Phase 1: Collect Underpants

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

As the kids used to say, done in one.

I thought the point of having RRR and Doug Melvin around was so that I didn't have to do it myself?

But to answer some part of your question, I'd revamp the bullpen but I'd probably go cheap and bring 30 minor league invites to Spring Training. I'd do the same at SS, probably with crappier results. I'd trade Greinke as soon as he makes a good start, two if needed. In that trade, I'd hope to get a good young arm and either a decent corner IF prospect or a slightly lower ceiling P prospect. Any thing else is pretty much crap-shoot gravy. Try to sign Marcum. Look to see what we could get for Hart in the offseason.

I dunno, I'd probably be pretty terrible as a GM, cold off the street and all. I'll leave it to Doug and the rest of the front office.

1) Deal K-Rod for prospects (I'd love to get a ML-ready LOOGY, but any team trading for K-Rod isn't about to give up someone with that profile). Need to move that salary, since no team is going to sign him for more than he can get via arbitration.

2) Trade Greinke to anyone with a cost-controlled SS for the next 3-5+ years, plus a decent (AA or better, #3 starter projecting) pitching prospect. Thornburg joins the rotation if / when Zach is traded.

3) Hold Marcum (not much of a choice, since he's not pitching), and try to get a 2-3 year deal done in the off-season.

4) Take offers on Hart, Wolf, Ramirez, Parra, Estrada, Kottaras, Gomez, and Morgan. I wouldn't trade all of them, but if I liked the return on any 1-3 of them, pull the trigger. I'd be willing to listen to offers for Weeks, but I'd rather give him another year than find myself selling low. Try to find a way to get Schafer up before September call-ups.

Rotation would be in decent shape going forward (Yo, Wolf, Marcum, Fiers, Narveson; Thornburg either in AAA or working out of the bullpen w/ Estrada). Use Free Agency to bring in 1-2 decent, hard-throwing relievers, and address any issues we have with the infield in the 2nd half of the 2012 season (Green plays most of the time at 3B if A-Ram is dealt, to see how he'd handle an everyday role). I'd like to keep Hart at 1b if he's still with the team.

If I'm Mark A I sign Greinke longterm and then I overpay, whatever it takes and sign Cole Hamels too...then I start printing World Series tickets

yes I'd have to go into my own pockets to do that but that is how bad I want a championship for Milwaukee, and the people of Milwaukee would love me & my family for generations for doing that

I'd trade/get rid of Morgan, Kottaras, Wolf, K-Rod.... I'd be concerned bigtime about Axford and would instruct Melvin and staff to scour the scouting world for bullpen help and would open up the pocket-books for that, too, if needed

Unfortunately the list of free agents for infield help is more than a little underwhelming, but if the Mets are stupid enough to let David Wright go I'd break the bank for him too. I would then trade Aramis for bullpen help and/or a SS prospect

I think keeping Greinke and adding David Wright, Cole Hamels and bullpen help would make this team a legit contender. I would look strongly at signing Mike Adams too

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think keeping Greinke and adding David Wright, Cole Hamels and bullpen help would make this team a legit contender. I would look strongly at signing Mike Adams too

I'd try a seance with Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle or get the guy from Back to the Future to bring Hank Aaron back from 1957. Those have about the same chance as Wright, Hamels or Josh Hamilton playing in Milwaukee...at least before they fall off a cliff at age 38.

I'd try a seance with Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle or get the guy from Back to the Future to bring Hank Aaron back from 1957. Those have about the same chance as Wright, Hamels or Josh Hamilton playing in Milwaukee...at least before they fall off a cliff at age 38.

hey, the question wasn't "what, realistically, do you think Mark A would do?", it was "what would you do?"... and if I was a billionaire, I'd buy a World Series Championship for the Brewers....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Verified Member

1) Trade Zack Greinke (SP) + Francisco Rodriguez (RP) + Manny Parra (RP) to LAA for Jean Segura (SS) + Garrett Richards (SP) + Kaleb Cowart (3B)

2) Trade Aramis Ramirez (3B) to LAD for Allen Webster (SP) + Scott Van Slyke (1B/OF)

3) Trade George Kottaras © to WAS for Dan Rosenbaum (SP/RP)

Sign Lance Berkman to a 1-2 year deal in the offseason, sign Edwin Jackson, 2013 lineup:

CF - Aoki/Gomez/Morgan, 2B - Weeks, LF - Braun, 1B - Berkman, RF - Hart, C - Lucroy, 3B - Green, SS - Segura

SP - Gallardo, SP - Jackson, SP - Richards, SP - Thornburg, SP - Fiers/Narveson/Estrada/Rogers/Peralta/Webster

If I'm Mark A I sign Greinke longterm and then I overpay, whatever it takes and sign Cole Hamels too...then I start printing World Series tickets

yes I'd have to go into my own pockets to do that but that is how bad I want a championship for Milwaukee, and the people of Milwaukee would love me & my family for generations for doing that

Firstly . . . print World Series tickets?!?! I would never put the horse before the cart. Look at the Phillies this year. And the Tigers (although they're coming around a tiny bit).

Secondly, without looking it up (don't lie, either) who was the GM for the '57 Braves. I have no idea and I DID have to look it up afterward. People will NOT love you for generations. A few years? Sure.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I guess im not sure why people want to trade aramis ramirez. We just signed this guy to a 3-year deal. seems like a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere if we're just going to trade him while his value is high. i personally didnt like the aramis signing to begin with (just would have put Green in there to begin with), but since we did sign him just keep him. Im more the type who wouldnt trade a player until the last year of his contract unless he is underperforming or an amazing offer comes up. im not convinced i guess. or even trading Fiers bc his value is high. he can be of use to us next year in the rotation. And I wouldnt mess with our starting lineup. next year id like it to be C-Lucroy 1b-Gamel 2b-Weeks 3b-Ramirez SS-??find one in the offseason. RF-Hart CF-Aoki LF-Braun

My thought on trading ARam would be . . . if the Dodgers want him, let's see what we can get from them. Perhaps they will overpay? It doesn't hurt to talk.

I think the signing hasn't worked out for the Brewers because the rest of the team hasn't worked out and that's why they might be shopping him. They may want to play a different angle in 2013 if they can trade him and get some good quality players/prospects in return.

Personally, I can't stand the guy. He stinks in the field and even though he's hit a lot of doubles for us, the power numbers are way down. I thought for sure he'd be good for 25-30 HRs playing half his games in Miller Park. When I watch him play, I don't expect good things from him. I expect a weak ground ball out or a pop out (or a double play ball) and can be mildly surprised when he reaches base. Oh, and he's slower than Eddie Perez, I think.

Heck, he's still a Cub to me.

Not to mention, I thought that the contract he signed was just a reactionary move from Melvin for losing Prince and we overpaid. The last two years of that contract will not be worth it to the Brewers. The Dodgers, though, can afford to pay him that much money for that kind of production. (Of course, he could go off and play out of his gourd once we dealt him and then love it so much in SoCal that he totally earns his money.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He stinks in the field and even though he's hit a lot of doubles for us, the power numbers are way down. I thought for sure he'd be good for 25-30 HRs playing half his games in Miller Park. When I watch him play, I don't expect good things from him. I expect a weak ground ball out or a pop out (or a double play ball) and can be mildly surprised when he reaches base.

On the contrary, I'm very satisfied with A-Ram's contributions this year.

His defense has been solid, if unspectacular. He's logged but five errors on the season, and he's made some nice plays, particularly covering bunts and slow rollers to the left side. Likewise, after his predictably slow start, he's put up some solid offensive numbers. He has an OPS over .800 and only David Wright has more extra-base hits among NL third basemen. He's putting up better numbers than contemporaries Hanley Ramirez and Ryan Zimmerman, and he's been more durable than Jerry Hairston, Jr. and more productive than Casey McGehee.

I think the issue is not with the level of output in this case, but rather the output in relation to the salary. Clearly, $12M/year was a bit of a reach for an aging third baseman, but it's not as if this is the first time a General Manager has overpaid to fill a need via free agency. Despite how we may feel about his salary, his production is in line with what was expected of him entering this season.

hey, the question wasn't "what, realistically, do you think Mark A would do?", it was "what would you do?"... and if I was a billionaire, I'd buy a World Series Championship for the Brewers....

Pretty sure the question was what would you do if you were DM and RR. Those guys aren't billionaires.

Pretty sure the question was what would you do if you were DM and RR. Those guys aren't billionaires.

Ah yes, reading is fundamental. As the kids say "my bad"....

OK, if I was Doug Melvin. I would get permission from my owner to overpay a little and get Greinke signed.

I would trade for Yunel Escobar. I wouldn't trade Thornburg or Fiers, but I'd be willing to give up a good young pitcher for Escobar.

I would trade K-Rod and Hart and Wolf and Morgan and Marcum (if healthy) at the deadline for whatever prospects I could get, especially young pitching talent.

I would start Bianchi in 80% of the games the rest of the year if I was unable to trade for Yunel Escobar.

I would trade Greinke for a great prospect if I was unable to get him signed.

I would move Ryan Braun to 1B in order to save wear and tear on his legs

I've heard stuff like this before. I'm curious, though, is it really that big a difference? If the thought is that there is less of a chance to tweak something like he did Tuesday night, then I can definitely buy that, but if it's just general "wear and tear" that is the concern, I don't quite get it. I mean, sure, a LF has to run around more than a 1B, but it's not THAT much running.

I've heard stuff like this before. I'm curious, though, is it really that big a difference? If the thought is that there is less of a chance to tweak something like he did Tuesday night, then I can definitely buy that, but if it's just general "wear and tear" that is the concern, I don't quite get it. I mean, sure, a LF has to run around more than a 1B, but it's not THAT much running.

I think it is a pretty significant difference in the amount of running and leaping into walls in LF than at 1B. On just about every hit to CF he's running in order to back up the play. On groundballs to 3B & SS, he's running to back up....it adds up, and that is just in the games....then there is all the running outfielders do in preparation/practice, spring training

Only somewhat related, but I would argue that Ken Griffey Jr would have the all-time HR record if he had just played 1B his entire career

with braun's athleticism he can stay at LF i think. he gets the occasional minor tweak or pull of a muscle but thats nothing to be scared about. I dont think just because hes our best player and we have him for the long term that be need to baby him. I bet he wouldnt like moving to first because we are afraid of his legs getting beat up. maybe when hes in his mid-30s ill be fine with moving him to 1st for a younger, more athletic player........ and im guessing to get Yunel Escobar we'd have to give up Peralta or Jungmann. I just dont like that. id much rather see what we can get out of these prospects. I hate watching former prospects do great on other teams hah.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this thread because I'm going to enjoy watching player development the rest of the way this season. Fiers, Rogers, & Gomez are the main candidates on the big-league club, but come September we might be talking about any number of Segura--Thornburg--Hellweg--Pena--Burgos--Peralta--Gindl--Morris--Khris Davis--Schafer being up with the Brewers.

In the meantime, there's plenty of player development to track in the minors. I've become more & more of a Brewers' MiLB geek, and this season has been really fun to follow in that aspect. This still isn't an upper-echelon farm system, but there's a lot of talent in it at this point, and much of that is pretty well advanced. 2013 might not be a contending season, but I see no reason to think that the Brewers couldn't be right back in the thick of things by 2014.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Our MiLB talent got a nice shot in the arm this year talent wise. With the draft picks and trade deadline pickups we have some really nice talent upside talent to add to the surprising pitching depth we already had.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The minors have been very fun to watch this year. It will be interesting to see who from AAA is on the team next year. Im the GM, so next year looks like......

Rotation:

Gallardo

Marcum (sign to 1 yr deal and if not another FA pitcher)

Narveson

Fiers

Peralta

-yes this is not very intimidating but I dont want to see us overspend on some FA pitching when we could give our young, cheaper talent a chance.

Bullpen:

Axford (hoping maybe the offseason gets his mind right)

Henderson

Hand (give him a shot)'

L Hernandez (veteran presence and good attitude. plus he throws strikes, not fast ones, but strikes)

Estrada

Rodgers (long reliever written all over him with his history of arm problems)

Mike Adams (former brewer who has blossomed in other venues and hoping he brings that here)

-of course, the obvious, no lefties. and maybe leave Donovan Hand in AAA and sign a vet lefty. but I just want guys who will give us quality innings, no matter which arm they throw with. I like having 3 guys who can be long relievers/spot starters because we'd have such a young rotation (plus Narveson coming off surgery) and we might need innings eaters in our Pen.

I dont know who I'd have closing or setting up, kind of a crapshoot. I think i would give axford the job but if he starts blowing saves again, then just do it by committee. take it inning by inning and just see which reliever I think has the best chance against the 3 guys that are coming up. as for the position players.....

C-Lucroy, Maldonado

1B-Gamel (I would trade Hart this offseason, but if you cant get good return, then he stays at 1st and teach Gamel to play LF or RF)

2B-Weeks (he has to stay bc hes got little value to trade and hoping he can bounce back)

SS-A Gonzalez (1 yr deal but id be leary about that)

3B-Ramirez

Backup IF-Bianchi (downfall is he only plays SS), Green (Id like him to start somewhere at least 2x a week), Farris (can play LF). I like Farris bc he hits for avg and doesnt strikeout alot. plus hes got speed. I guess ive got a soft spot for him and id like to see him get a shot.

LF-Braun

CF-Gomez

RF-Aoki

backup OF-Schafer. The one AAA player im most certain of will be on the team next year. he'd be a quality backup and could get the start against some righties for Gomez, maybe twice a week.

overall there would be a very young bench, but I think quality is still there. and I dont see them being any worse than Morgan, Ransom, and Izturis are now. Would be a young team, possibly frustrating pitching staff to watch, but the talent in AAA is soon to come. And I always say, with the division we're in and the hitters we have, we are never in rebuild mode.

Archived