Brewer Fanatic

The Bullpen - Would You Make Henderson the Closer

slappzilla
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all seriousness, this season is over. The crew are 18.5 games back. Let Ax and Henderson handle 8th and 9th inning roles the rest of the year to work out bugs/win position/etc. No reason to even bother letting KRod in the game after the 7th inning, if at all, since he's a goner.

i think the brewers are hoping that k-rod can put together a string of great outings with great command and be able to trade him for some minor salary relief by 31 august. it would also conveniently open up a 40-man roster spot (which will likely be full again when they activate marcum).

We've been saying that for 2 months now and he still hasn't managed to do it. Personally I gave up on that opportunity, and I'd rather see Ax/Henderson in the 8th/9th inning roles from here on out if it's in save opp territory. Even if KRod would string something together, I'm fairly sure most teams are going to look at it and say too little too late and look back on his bad streak.

There is no point in making Gagne/Riske type gambles. Melvin needs to go out and sign any reliever who has 'plus stuff' and is willing to sign a one year deal after the 'first wave' of relievers have signed. I'd sweep in and hand out some NRI's as well. I'd assume that as we stand there are about 4 openings for next season, and hopefully they have about a dozen guys in camp battling it out for those spots. You have to catch lightning in a bottle.

I agree with Rock. No big money should be spent on a reliever- closer or not. They simply need to do a better job of scouting, and finding guys in FA who can get the job done for a low price. Also, look to trade for guys who have shown some success, and you still control for 3-4 years. There are middle relievers all over who have had a couple of good years. I would have no problem trading borderline-ish type of prospect for a "proven" middle reliever. Cost almost no salary, so no risk.

The backend of the bullpen has been absolutely atrocious this year, but the rest of the pen has performed adequately. Loe and Parra haven't been lock down by any means, but they still have good arms and they have performed well enough to at least bring them back to camp next Spring (on the cheap, anyway). I think that Axford will bounce back next year as well. He still has great stuff, and is a year removed from probably having the best season of any closer in the league. Thus a complete re-haul of the pen isn't really necessary, nor is trading for another arm. Perhaps try to sign Balfour or Mike Adams, but outside of those two guys, I'm not sure if spending dough on a reliever would be worth it. Heck, between Henderson, Pena, De Los Santos and even Rogers or Thornburg we could probably find a nice young setup guy as well.

Loe and Parra haven't been lock down by any means, but they still have good arms and they have performed well enough to at least bring them back to camp next Spring (on the cheap, anyway). I think that Axford will bounce back next year as well.

Loe and Parra are in the 3rd year of arby and I don't consider them to be "cheap". This year Loe was $2.175M and Parra was $1.2M - so my guess is $2.8M and $1.8M for 2013. But they can't get rid of everybody, so they are probably back. Axford has to be definitely back, as a first year arby guy (I have no idea what he will get). I think they sign one "Riske" type free agent bullpen guy and use the minors and NRIs to complete the bullpen.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone erased the thread I started so I will just put this here I guess...

Let's pretend I told you that at the beginning of the 2012 Milwaukee Brewers season, come Aug 28th...

- Brewers pitching would be handedly leading MLB in strikeouts come Aug 28

- Brewers would be 4th in MLB in steals

- Brewers would be 1st in the NL in HR's

- Brewers would be 3rd in the NL in OPS

- Ryan Braun would have 35HR's and a .985OPS

- Aramis Ramirez would have 20HR's and a .890OPS

- Corey Hart would have 24HR's and a .833OPS

- Lucroy would be batting .332 with a .936OPS

- freakin GoGo would have a .773OPS with 27 steals

Now, if I told you all that, then followed it up with the question "where do you think the Brewers will be in the standings on Aug 28th?", what would you say?

Of course you'd assume they crew had the division, right?

Freakin bullpen, unreal.

Archived