Brewer Fanatic

The Bullpen - Would You Make Henderson the Closer

slappzilla

Let's see Henderson in the 9th inning role for a while, we need to know if he's part of the future or not.

I'd use Ax in the 8th for a while, with K-Rod only pitching when someone needs a day off...he's not part of the future, and he's lost his role in the present.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While Ax and K-Rod have been the big problem, I don't think we should undersell the fact that there have been a fair number of occasions where other guys have acted as the set-up man for the opposition, taking a big deficit and turning it into a manageable one. There is failure enough for everyone to claim their piece.

On the twitters I've been calling it #RelieverRoulette.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Let Henderson close for the rest of the year. Find a rubber armed veteran ala Saloman Torres in the offseason to be a fall back closer in case Axford doens't return to form and Henderson turns into a pumpkin. My suggestion? Offer Gamel to the Rockies for Matt Belisle. Belisle has a rubber arm. He's never been "the guy" in the pen but he'd likely be adequate, and very useful in the late innings if Axford gets his mojo back or Henderson proves to be the real deal.

De Los Santos is getting rocked in AA.

and C'mon, Gamel for Belisle? We could have gotten Belisle for Kotteras.

De Los Santos is in AAA... and his ERA is 1.80 for Nashville in 5 games.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

yup, my bad, I looked up Miguel De Los Santos.

either way, before being traded and heading to Nashville, here are De Los Santos numbers this year

7.25ERA 1.806WHIP

and while he has a ERA of 1.80 so far, his WHIP is 1.4.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=deloss001fau

sometimes a change in surroundings helps? now watch him explode since I just typed that

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I just remember reading up on him when I heard we required him for Kotteras. He's never been anything worthwhile.

Maybe me pooping on him right there reverses your jinx and he pans out now.

He's had control issues, but he has an electric arm and a high ceiling. He probably fits more into "project" category, but not too long ago he was considered a dark horse to emerge as the closer in Oakland. I wouldn't put too much stock in 30 innings in AAA this season, you just can't come to any meaningful conclusion about a guy based on so few innings.

I just remember reading up on him when I heard we required him for Kotteras. He's never been anything worthwhile.

Maybe me pooping on him right there reverses your jinx and he pans out now.

Pre 2008 he was the number 60 prospect in the game. So saying he has never been anything worthwhile is completely false. In 2010 he struck out 73 batters in 43 innings. In 2011 he had an ERA around 2 while striking out more than a batter an inning.

He is a reliever so his ERA fluctuates but his peripherals suggest he could be a very nice bullpen arm

So who's next? :P

At this point, I'm expecting a to get a call from Mr. Melvin. I have a wicked 45 MPH lob ball.

I don't even care who they put in there anymore. Maybe just play it by match ups. Maybe bring up De Los Santos and give him a few tries.

I want to know where that dream world you live in is. Gamel is an unproven 1b in his late 20's coming off a serious injury. His value was fairly high at one time but that was 2009. I'm not even sure its enough for a proven reliever with a moderate contract, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Kottaras got them a AAA longshot.

Honestly, at this point, I would probably just throw Axford back into the closers role and roll with it the rest of the season, probably with Henderson as setup man.

K-Rod has no value to us as this season is already lost and he won't be with us going forward. Take that combined with his current production and there is no real reason to have him pitching high-leverage innings. K-Rod could be DFA'ed tomorrow with no affect on the organization now or in the future.

At this point, we're just playing out the fiddle. We have 6-7 weeks to figure out whether Axford is even a viable option for closer next year, so we may as well let him run with it and see if there is a late-season recovery.

I want to know where that dream world you live in is. Gamel is an unproven 1b in his late 20's coming off a serious injury. His value was fairly high at one time but that was 2009. I'm not even sure its enough for a proven reliever with a moderate contract, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Kottaras got them a AAA longshot.

Your expert call to release Rickie Weeks has me convinced you couldn't possibly be wrong about this

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To anyone who still thinks the bullpen hasnt cost us this season, I disagree entirely. Yes, "You win as a team and you lose as a team." But everyone has a job to do so we can win. The bullpen's main job isnt getting done: minimizing the runs scored/holding the lead. When they convert 50% of save opportunities, theres a huge problem. 22 saves blown saves. 17-29 record and 4.85 ERA. Even our starters are NL average, and thats with 2 starters out and another traded away.

At this point in time, I dont what Roenicke can do other than what he has been doing: closing his eyes and hoping for the best. Relievers are up and down sometimes but for EVERY reliever we have to be equally terrible, is not a coincidence. Just have to revamp it for next year. Get rid of many, sign a FA/FA's, or trade for young help (my choice).

What a heartbreaking year to be a Brewer fan who expected so much.......

I really hope doug doesn't go out and overpay for a Gagne/Hoffman in the offseason to close.

I'd be fine with letting Axford and Henderson duel it out next year for the 9th inning spot. I think either or can get their stuff together.

Rest of the bullpen can be DFA'ed right now for all I care.

i don't think eric gagne would cost much at all at this point...haha...

i agree though, i will be depressed if they go out and sign a 10 million dollar closer...i suspect they'll bring in some saito/hawkins types at a minimum

Archived