Brewer Fanatic

Time to get Axford out of the closer role [Latest: Axford out, K-Rod in]

brewtank34
The need to move him out of the spot ,they did it with one of the greatest closers when he Struggled here so why not.

RRR never would've pulled Hoffman from the closers role. Never. Heck, he was all set to demote Fiers and let Estrada start again had Marcum not gotten hurt.

Good point. Lucky for RRR that never happened- he would have taken some flack for it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would RR have not pulled Hoffman exactly?

He just pulled Ax.

Sending Fiers back down back before Marcum got hurt was the sensible move at the time. Fiers had pitched only 3 games and if I'm not mistaken, one of those 3 games was not exactly a gem. No one predicted Fiers would be as good as he is back then.

Axford, according to this site, still has two options left. Mitch Stetter in 21 innings has given up 11 hits and struck out 27 (against lefties has given up 5 hits and struck out 20 in 12 IP).

RRR said the bullpen will be situational; why not send Axford down to Nashville to work out his stuff and get another lefty in the pen, particularly one who is filthy against lefties?

For whatever reason, the way MLB managers handle closers when they f-up, is first demoting them to a 7-8th inning role, then, if they still botch it up, then they send them down.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying that's usually how it goes.

Why would RR have not pulled Hoffman exactly?

Because what has he done to show he would go with a younger, inexperienced player in the last two seasons in any way shape or form unless he was forced to by injury?

Taylor Green couldn't see the field while Felipe Lopez pooped himself playing 2B for 2 weeks. He still couldn't see the field once we got Hairston, even though Hairston was clearly a better option than Gomez in CF or McGehee at 3B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Melvin baffles me sometimes. Impatience of people? Isn't another reason to make a change based on the fact that we NEED to win some games??? Again, DM just angers me sometimes.

Here is his latest statements regarding the Axford demotion:

The Brewers plan on John Axford regaining his closer job as soon as possible.

"The reason you turn it over is because of the impatience of people - the media, the fans, everybody else," said general manager Doug Melvin. "He's still got the best arm on the club." Francisco Rodriguez has converted both save chances since assuming the closer role, though he's done so in very shaky fashion. It's possible K-Rod could be dealt this month. Related: Francisco Rodriguez

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Jul 20 - 9:33 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Melvin baffles me sometimes. Impatience of people? Isn't another reason to make a change based on the fact that we NEED to win some games??? Again, DM just angers me sometimes.

Here is his latest statements regarding the Axford demotion:

The Brewers plan on John Axford regaining his closer job as soon as possible.

"The reason you turn it over is because of the impatience of people - the media, the fans, everybody else," said general manager Doug Melvin. "He's still got the best arm on the club." Francisco Rodriguez has converted both save chances since assuming the closer role, though he's done so in very shaky fashion. It's possible K-Rod could be dealt this month. Related: Francisco Rodriguez

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Jul 20 - 9:33 AM

Why is this baffling? They still need to rely on him. He's a cheap, good arm that will be around for awhile. He needs to make an impact for the bullpen to be successful. Obviously Melvin believes in him, and wants him to turn it around and be closer again. That what be nice, because then he wouldn't have to go out overpaying, or looking for a closer in the offseason. He's not gonna bash Ax, and not voice confidence in him. What he says and what he actually feels are two different things. Roenicke didn't use the same explanation, so that's obviously not why the move was made.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived