Brewer Fanatic

Yunel Escobar

Apparently he is available, maybe he's the guy we can get reasonbale to play SS for at least a couple of years, it doesn't appear the Jays are looking to break the bank on this guy.

FOXSports.com reports sources said the Blue Jays could be willing to trade shortstop Yunel Escobar because they believe Triple-A shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria is ready for the majors.

Verified Member
Getting Escobar would be great, particularly given the alternatives for '13-'14. I'm not sure why you think it won't cost a lot though. Starting-caliber SS are the most expensive commodity in the game.

Reasonable contract and only 25 years old, whats not to like??

The fact that we'd have to give up quite a few prospects from our already paper thin farm system to get him. And he's 29, not 25. And also, his slash is .251/.295/.339 this year.

I don't know much about Yunel Escobar, but shortstop is the obvious hole on the current and future roster. This seems like the perfect scenario of when to trade from the farm system - fill a need for 3-4 years.

The Jays have Cuban Adeiny Hechavariria tearing up AAA: .318/.366/.449, so I can see them shopping Escobar. My guess is they think they can take advantage of the dearth of SS and really get a haul even with Escobar having an off year.

The Jays got Escorbar for Alex Gonzalez and Tyler Pastornicky. Weird. One short stop we have, one short stop a lot of posters want and one short stop some want.

Yunel is an improvement over what we've got now and if he can be had for an inconsequential prospect or two I'd be for it.

I don't know JB. He's just not a high enough celing guy to where I can see them "really get a haul". Combined with the down year, I think they'd trade him for an arm that they really like. Whether we can agree on one with them is another story.

Just last year he hit .290/.369/.413. He twice topped .800 in OPS eariler. That's his ceiling and for a SS, that's pretty high. He's not all that much unlike Weeks, only with a much more team friendly contract and at a position of greater need.

The list of free agent Shortstops coming available this off-season is extremely underwhelming. Unless the Brewers trade Greinke for Profar or another top prospect SS, then trading for Yunel Escobar sure seems like a better option than just about any other option I've seen or considered, unless there is "inside info" that Brewers scouts know that would lead them to believe that his career is done at the age of 29.

This is a guy with a career .284/.357/.749 line who is at least a solid defensive player at SS

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This kind of move would be the perfect compromise between buying and selling for Melvin. He an add a major league player relatively cheap (prospect wise), while reloading the farm with the returns from Greinke, KRod, ARam, etc.

It keeps us relevant while still reloading for the next few years.

Archived