Brewer Fanatic

Greinke scratched Wednesday

The "whatever Ron said" statement is a bit weird. But from what I gathered this wasn't necessarily Greinke asking for a start off to "recharge his batteries", so I feel like either he's pissed that he's sitting, or there's something else (a trade) going on.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "whatever Ron said" statement is a bit weird. But from what I gathered this wasn't necessarily Greinke asking for a start off to "recharge his batteries", so I feel like either he's pissed that he's sitting, or there's something else (a trade) going on.

The quotes from Grienke in the paper this morning (yes, I still get a physical paper!) were really "Greinke like". He sounds a little upset about the situation:

Greinke, normally not hesitant to give his viewpoint about most situations, was evasive when asked what he thought of the decision, giving the indication he wasn't in agreement.

"I don't really have much to say about it," he said. "I'm just going with what they say. I'll hopefully come back pitching good, whenever I pitch next."

When told what Roenicke had to say about how the decision was made, Greinke replied, "OK, then that's what I have to say, too, then.

"I'm just trying to get back pitching good again, help us win some games. Pretty much we talked about it and I said I was just going to go with what (Roenicke) said, so there's no mixed words. That's about it."

Asked if he thought it will help to take the extra time off, Greinke said, "I don't know. I'm fine with it. I'm just going with whatever (Roenicke) said. I don't know why you've got to ask me. I say the same exact words that came out of his mouth, came out of mine."

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well if there is a physical issue, no matter how minor, I don't think that the Brewers would want to advertise it to potential trade suitors. Greinke seemed a bit off against Pittsburgh, and given the Brewers luck, I'm leaning some sort of physical ailment. If for some reason that it is trade related, I have to think that the trade is 99% done, and being held up for some reason (perhaps a guy soon to be off the DL).

Apparently Craig Coshun said today that the whole team are scratching their heads about Greinke being rested for so long. Now it's gotten even more fishy. Something is definitely going on if none of the players understand it.

So the players on the team can understand how many on this site feel about Roenicke's moves.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well if there is a physical issue, no matter how minor, I don't think that the Brewers would want to advertise it to potential trade suitors. Greinke seemed a bit off against Pittsburgh, and given the Brewers luck, I'm leaning some sort of physical ailment. If for some reason that it is trade related, I have to think that the trade is 99% done, and being held up for some reason (perhaps a guy soon to be off the DL).

Neftali Feliz is close to coming off the DL for the Rangers.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Neftali Feliz is close to coming off the DL for the Rangers.

This is what I was thinking. I'm still dead set against trading Greinke before pulling out all the stops to extend him, but outside of Profar, Feliz is the guy that I want from Texas.

Verified Member

DL angle may be far-fetched, but it does fit. Can't trade a player on the DL, can't bring a guy off the DL until a certain date, don't want to pitch Greinke when a trade is pending.

Is there anywhere to look up whose DL stints expire in the next few days (other than Feliz, apparently)?

*Edit* Sabathia for Greinke. Boom. *Edit*

DL angle may be far-fetched, but it does fit. Can't trade a player on the DL, can't bring a guy off the DL until a certain date, don't want to pitch Greinke when a trade is pending.

Is there anywhere to look up whose DL stints expire in the next few days (other than Feliz, apparently)?

Just looking at teams that were interested in Greinke. The only other one I see is the Angels have Jordan Walden eligible to come off on the 24th. I'm not sure that Feliz or Walden would be traded, but never know. There's also the possibility of prospects being on the DL though.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Verified Member

Just looking at teams that were interested in Greinke. The only other one I see is the Angels have Jordan Walden eligible to come off on the 24th. I'm not sure that Feliz or Walden would be traded, but never know. There's also the possibility of prospects being on the DL though.

A couple others: Jonny Venters (July 20), Ian Desmond (July 18), and Mitch Moreland sometime soon (not sure exact date he's eligible to come off). Not saying any of those players would be included, just speculating.

Well if there is a physical issue, no matter how minor, I don't think that the Brewers would want to advertise it to potential trade suitors. quote]

Well trading someone with a known injury, even a small one, is taboo in MLB. You just don't see GMs hide things like that- certainly not Melvin. Plus, he would have to pass a physical anyhow.

Logical reason is he's about to be traded. At this point I hope so because....

Only other reason would be Greinke is going through some weird issue he needs to work out. Pushing his start back a day or two? Sure. But missing a start for no apparent reason? That's just strange. That type of thing will drive down his trade value, or if you're looking at trying hard to re-sign him you need to rethink that.

Well trading someone with a known injury, even a small one, is taboo in MLB. You just don't see GMs hide things like that- certainly not Melvin. Plus, he would have to pass a physical anyhow.

It could be something as simple as a blister or a cracked fingernail or something that would heal quickly. Even a small thing like that could be used by a trade suitor to ding his value.

Even a small thing like that could be used by a trade suitor to ding his value.

It is possible that there is already a trade in the mix and the receiving team has asked for him to sit. Other than that possibility, regardless of the reason he's sitting, the fact that Greinke is missing a start during the most important stretch of the Brewers' season is going to be used by any trade suitor to lowball Melvin.

The fact that Greinke's social anxiety issues are widely known certainly doesn't help when trying to sell another team that "he just needed to recharge his batteries."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Something I haven't thought of.....Maybe it is possible there is a trade in the works and the team trading for Greinke is willing to sweeten the deal if we throw in our competitive lottery pick if we are to get one. Would make sense, Greinke was scheduled to pitch about the same time the lottery takes place today.

If I were trading for Greinke I would definitely want him out of the rotation but would want to wait until I knew if the Brewers had an extra pick available as well.

It's one thing for a team to ask "hey, don't start this guy today if we're trading for him tonight", but I can't imagine them saying, "don't start Greinke for 2 weeks". What if the trade falls through? We just benched him for no reason, and benched him in a stretch that is basically the breaking point for the season. It makes no sense. It's either a trade that goes through today (for Feliz let's say), or something is wrong with him health wise.

Archived