Brewer Fanatic

Greinke scratched Wednesday

He's gotta be traded over the next 2-6 days and this is just a cover. Whatever team that Melvin has a deal with must have a "he can't pitch and risk injuring himself" order...while Melvin is waiting to see how the Crew does against the redbirds and Reds. There's no other rationale to hypothesize. Melvin and RRR would not sit their ace during the most important stretch of the year for him to "recharged." They would say, Suck it up Greinke... and something tells me that Greinke is not one to request to be sat either.

Expect a trade w/in the week if the Crew does not fair well against their division foes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's gotta be traded over the next 2-6 days and this is just a cover. Whatever team that Melvin has a deal with must have a "he can't pitch and risk injuring himself" order...while Melvin is waiting to see how the Crew does against the redbirds and Reds. There's no other rationale to hypothesize. Melvin and RRR would not sit their ace during the most important stretch of the year for him to "recharged." They would say, Suck it up Greinke... and something tells me that Greinke is not one to request to be sat either.

Expect a trade w/in the week if the Crew does not fair well against their division foes.

That's a pretty reasonable speculation. It's really odd that they'd just sit him out of the 2 most important series of the season. The only way I see that explanation being plausible though is if Melvin was blown away by an offer for him. Otherwise, I'd believe that he'd just wait until after the 6 games to work out a deal, and just have Greinke pitch.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Whatever team that Melvin has a deal with must have a "he can't pitch and risk injuring himself" order...while Melvin is waiting to see how the Crew does against the redbirds and Reds.

But that also defies logic. So Melvin is waiting to see how the team fairs in these next six games to decide if he'll pull the trigger on this trade? If he's willing to gamble the season like that, then he'd just trade him now.

Not to mention, I hope to never hear the Melvin decided to effect the Brewers' season based on the whims of another GM's preference.

That's exactly what I was thinking, it's really the only explanation that makes some sense. And slightly related to that, I could see a situation where they sweep stl and end up pitching him against Cincinnati anyway. Probably wishful thinking though (both sweeping STL and wanting to see Greinke pitch again)

He's gotta be traded over the next 2-6 days and this is just a cover. Whatever team that Melvin has a deal with must have a "he can't pitch and risk injuring himself" order...while Melvin is waiting to see how the Crew does against the redbirds and Reds.

I was thinking along similar lines, except that DM isn't waiting to see how the Brewers do. My thought is that he's close to a deal and the team (or teams) he's talking to doesn't want Greinke to risk injury while the deal is being hammered out.

But who the hell knows? I've learned to stop caring about all this and what happens, happens.

Verified Member
He's gotta be traded over the next 2-6 days and this is just a cover. Whatever team that Melvin has a deal with must have a "he can't pitch and risk injuring himself" order...while Melvin is waiting to see how the Crew does against the redbirds and Reds.

I was thinking along similar lines, except that DM isn't waiting to see how the Brewers do. My thought is that he's close to a deal and the team (or teams) he's talking to doesn't want Greinke to risk injury while the deal is being hammered out.

But who the hell knows? I've learned to stop caring about all this and what happens, happens.

Alternatively, he has an offer that he really likes, but he wants to use it as leverage to see what other teams will offer. Thus, he puts Greinke on ice for the next few days so teams can get back to him with their final offer.

It's really odd that they'd just sit him out of the 2 most important series of the season. The only way I see that explanation being plausible though is if Melvin was blown away by an offer for him. Otherwise, I'd believe that he'd just wait until after the 6 games to work out a deal, and just have Greinke pitch.

Really, whether Greinke misses one start or not this season will almost certainly have no bearing on the season. I would hope Melvin realizes this and is willing to sit Greinke if it means a good chance of working out a deal.

It's really odd that they'd just sit him out of the 2 most important series of the season. The only way I see that explanation being plausible though is if Melvin was blown away by an offer for him. Otherwise, I'd believe that he'd just wait until after the 6 games to work out a deal, and just have Greinke pitch.

Really, whether Greinke misses one start or not this season will almost certainly have no bearing on the season. I would hope Melvin realizes this and is willing to sit Greinke if it means a good chance of working out a deal.

I agree, I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure Melvin would stick to his original guns and just wait until after the 6 games to decide to sell or not unless he was blown away by an offer for Greinke. If he was, and that team wants him to sit out Greinke, then I absolutely believe he would do it. It's a definite possibility.

I heard a caller on WSSP discussing a deal that they heard somewhere dealing with Texas. Supposedly, Kinsler, Weeks and prospects are in the mix. Does anyone know anything more about this.

My cousin's roommate's uncle's neighbor's dogsitter was eating at the same restaurant as Jon Daniels and he overheard a deal sending Kinsler, Olt, Odor, Perez, Ross, and Martin for Greinke, Weeks, and Hart.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I heard a caller on WSSP discussing a deal that they heard somewhere dealing with Texas. Supposedly, Kinsler, Weeks and prospects are in the mix. Does anyone know anything more about this.

Not sure why Texas would want to replace Kinsler with Weeks in the middle of a pennant race, even if it meant acquiring Greinke. That seems incredibly far fetched to me. Not the dealing with Texas part, but the Kinsler part.

Maybe they figured that he needed to get back on schedule after two abbreviated starts, the AS break, and a less than stellar outing his last start. The rest of the rotation basically got a full week off to reset - Greinke didn't.

It stinks that Greinke isn't available for these games against the Cards and Reds, but it's not like there's only 15 games left this season and the Brewers need to sweep these games - if they win the next two series and continue to climb up the standings (both division and WC), Melvin's going to have a very tough decision to make next week. I don't think the Brewers can be buyers, but I do think they can plan to stand pat unless a team blows them out of the water for Greinke, or is willing to trade for Wolf. Getting Lucroy back soon and hopefully Marcum at some point over the next few weeks would make this division really interesting if the Brewers are 3-5 games out at the end of July.

This to me just seems like trying to trash the guys we gave up in order to make the trade look better.

For sure. I was indirectly giving my opinion on the Greinke trade, and my overall point is that we can still come out ahead or break even depending on how we look at things. The glass is usually half empty, though, on an internet message board.. :(

Absolutely, Russ. If the end game of all of this is the Brewers signing Greinke to a long term deal then this little episode in the 2012 lost season of the Milwaukee Brewers history will be forgotten.

I still can't understand how someone supposedly worth $20-25MM/year who is not injured can sit on the bench for ten days while the team is making its last ditch effort for the playoffs. Assuming 30 starts, Greinke makes $450,000 / start (and would make $666,666/start at $20MM/year). I guess someone who will make around $450k for the entire next season will have to pick up the slack while "Mr Franchise," the guy without whom we supposedly will collapse as a franchise, watches from the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I still can't understand how someone supposedly worth $20-25MM/year who is not injured can sit on the bench for ten days while the team is making its last ditch effort for the playoffs. Assuming 30 starts, Greinke makes $450,000 / start (and would make $666,666/start at $20MM/year). I guess someone who will make around $450k for the entire next season will have to pick up the slack while "Mr Franchise," the guy without whom we supposedly will collapse as a franchise, watches from the bench.

Well put Monty. I'd assume other teams are asking the same question. This has to lower his value in the FA and trade market. Can anyone imagine Sabathia needing a what amounts to a mental break? Now it all could be a negotiating ploy by the Brewers to lower his free market value, but when has Melvin ever been accused of that type of cunning?

I think he's traded by Friday.

One has to wonder if Melvin is deep in talks with some team and they didn't want him to start for fear of injury. Then again, you would think they would want to see him make one more start after being pretty bad this month so far.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't know that it necessarily means a trade WILL happen, but I think this whole situation is trade related. Too suspicious otherwise. If he's actually hurt, they would've had RRR just come out and say he was hurt at his normally scheduled press conference like they did with Shaun Marcum. Instead they release it earlier in the day that he will not start on Wednesday. To "recharge his batteries"? Makes no sense. Then McCalvy asks Zack what the situation is and he says "Whatever Ron said". That's a very odd response for even Greinke.

I agree that they could have had a request from a potential suitor to stop him from pitching while a deal is finalized, or they could just have a prospect pitching Tuesday (today) night/Wednesday that DM wants to see one more time. Who knows but something is definitely up.

Archived