Brewer Fanatic

The Combined 'We're Trading Greinke' Thread (part 1)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see us trading with our most heated rival, that's all, and I think Texas when it's all said and done will be Greinke's landing spot, if he is traded at all

Why? If the Brewers trade Greinke this season it's because they don't feel they can compete and want to maximize their return. With Greinke being a free agent this season and free to leave whoever he is traded to it won't be an issue next year who we trade him to now. Unless of he course he signs with St Louis, which he is free to do whether we trade him or not. Automatically eliminating St Louis as a trade partner accomplishing nothing but having one less team driving up the price.

If Profar is so great why don't the Rangers trade us Andrus?

Because as good as Profar is he is not ready for the major leagues. And why would Texas trade us their starting shortstop in the middle of a pennant race when their top prospect isn't ready to replace him?

Good grief, the Cardinals are like 3 games ahead of the Brewers at this point. Have you seen their starting staff? I'd be disappointed if the Brewers weren't able to catch them down the stretch.

We shouldn't let other teams' opinions change ours. We need to decide on our own whether to sell, not say "oh well St Louis thinks they can compete so so can we". We still have like 6 teams to pass to get a wild card. Of course it's possible, but are you willing to risk letting guys like KRod and Marcum walk for nothing, and Greinke walk for a couple of late first round picks on the off chance you can pass 6 teams in 2 months?

We shouldn't let other teams' opinions change ours. We need to decide on our own whether to sell, not say "oh well St Louis thinks they can compete so so can we".

Valid point, but I think that there is too much season left to think about selling considering how the team has played the past several weeks. Take a horrid pen out of the equation, and they would be right in the mix, right now.

We still have like 6 teams to pass to get a wild card. Of course it's possible,

Lots of flawed teams ahead of the Brewers right now many of these teams have warts (granted as do the Brewers). Once again, it's early.

but are you willing to risk letting guys like KRod and Marcum walk for nothing, and Greinke walk for a couple of late first round picks on the off chance you can pass 6 teams in 2 months?

To be honest, I'd give K-Rod away right now if someone wanted him. He is cooked. Trade him to one of the teams ahead of you as a Trojan Horse. Marcum has no value now, and I fear he won't going forward due to the injury. In this case, I think that no news is bad news. As I've been posting all over, I want to pull out all the stops to keep Greinke regardless of how the rest of the season shakes out.

Once again, it's early.

I agree. Coming out of the all-star break you have Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Cincinnati. If you can't make your move then (and by move I mean gaining 2-3 games on each team) then I would say it's time to sell.

Because although Profar profiles that he COULD stick at SS, recent sentiments from prospectors and analysts suggest that Andrus is their long-term SS and Profar will take over for Kinsler at 2B who would be moved to the OF.

Profar simply isn't ready to take over a middle-IF position for a playoff contender right now. And, Andrus is actually a better fielder.

Because although Profar profiles that he COULD stick at SS, recent sentiments from prospectors and analysts suggest that Andrus is their long-term SS and Profar will take over for Kinsler at 2B who would be moved to the OF.

Profar simply isn't ready to take over a middle-IF position for a playoff contender right now. And, Andrus is actually a better fielder.

To be fair, I've read that that's just until Andrus' contract is up after 2014. Then Profar would probably move back to SS. Although that's assuming they don't sign Andrus long-term.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

paul253 said:

Just to be clear, I'm not the one that said "If Profar is so great why don't the Rangers trade us Andrus"? I was quoting someone else and responding to it.

Good grief, the Cardinals are like 3 games ahead of the Brewers at this point. Have you seen their starting staff? I'd be disappointed if the Brewers weren't able to catch them down the stretch.

I believe you also said this about Atlanta, so I'll include them in this:

The Brewers are in a position that they will lose a lot of talent this offseason, will still be stuck with a lot of high-priced contracts so much of their payroll will go to a few players, they do not have much quality pre-arby talent on the roster playing for league minimum and they have a bad farm system which will not be able to "fill the holes" on the MLB roster with good, inexpensive talent. Other teams (like Atlanta and St Louis) aren't in the same situation as the Brewers, so they have the luxury of "buying" without destroying their future.

Let's say we don't sell and the Cardinals trade for someone. We could still catch them, but who cares? The Reds or Pirates take the division, we end up in third and the Cardinals get fourth. Then we look at next season and realize that a large percentage of our payroll is already accounted for and we don't have a SS or a bullpen and only have one "impact" SP. We'll need to spend $5-10MM to fill SS, a couple million to each veteran bullpen arm, and will probably need to pay at least one bleh starting pitcher around $10MM to be next year's whipping boy. To use your term, "We're cooked" as we'll have a huge payroll without much talent around our core of Braun, Yo, Weeks, Lucroy and Ramirez. This situation combined with a probable attendence drop-off could lead us to giving away high-priced players for nothing in a salary dump, making us all the worse. The thought of extending Greinke in this situation is laughable because we would need to fill SS, the bullpen, the bench and 3/5 of the rotation with league minimum guys and we don't have enough talented league minimum guys to fill the roles.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals and Braves will go into next season with playoff aspirations as the talent they lose will be supplanted from their good farm systems.

It is solely due to the situation the Brewers are in this season that I have been banging the drum on selling. Melvin built this team to be World Series contenders last season and this season. He created a window that will slam shut when this season's over. Last season almost worked, but this season hasn't. We can either cut our losses and sell in hopes of a quick "rebuild," or we can hope this team pulls off a "miracle run" and makes the playoffs, knowing that we will be really bad for the foreseeable future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived