Brewer Fanatic

The Combined 'We're Trading Greinke' Thread (part 1)

MLBtraderumors says the Phillies are asking for 4 or 5 prospects for Hamels. They also say Texas has scouted Greinke and Hamels, but someone told Gammons that they weren't going to be in on Greinke. Toronto is heavily scouting Wandy Rodriguez. I hope Melvin moves soon, as some of the big suitors may find other options.

If you are scouting a player and then say you are not in on that player sounds more like GM speak and posturing more so than anything else. Toronto is not really a team I would see getting in on Greinke anyways maybe in free agency but the way Toronto has been going after free agents I don't think they will be in on Greinke then either. The Orioles are said to be interested but with Machado off the table do the Orioles really have anything that the Brewers would want (Bundy is also not available)?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
The Orioles are said to be interested but with Machado off the table do the Orioles really have anything that the Brewers would want (Bundy is also not available)?

As far as prospects go, they don't appear to have much else in the way of impact talent. They have a couple other prospects labeled as potential high ceiling guys (Jonathan Schoop 2B/SS/3B; Parker Bridwell RHP). Schoop is slightly intriguing, but Bridwell is having an awful season at low-A. You could probably get Bundy as a throw-in......unfortunately it would be older brother, Bobby Bundy.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

And when someone offers him more than Cain money?

Well Greinke is a better pitcher. Truth is Greinke is likely to be underpaid on a win basis. He's on his way to 7 win season. He's not going to get $30m per year.

I agree that Greinke is probably the better pitcher, however, the Brewers shouldn't pay him more than what Cain got; they can't support that contract. My point was that they can't just say, "Oh, we need to keep him" and then inevitably lose him to a higher bid.

Disagree that Greinke is a better pitcher than Cain. Cain is much more consistent year to year, plus he's much more proven in the postseason. They are close, and Greinke might have better overall stuff, but so far in their careers, the results favor Cain
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

IF....

Grienke will not negotiate during the season....you may have to trade him.

IF....

Grienke wants more than Cain....you likely have to trade him

IF....

Grienke will accept a similar deal as Cain...you have to sign him.

The problem is...only a couple of people know the answers to any of those.

Hi guys,

Just signed up here after a long hiatus since the site change. Time to start talking trades with you guys though...

Which of these deals do you think we'd have a shot at...

1) Marcum to Detroit for Castenallos

2) Greinke to Detroit for Turner and Castenallos

3) Greinke to Texas for Holland and Olt

4) Greinke to Texas for Feliz and Olt

5) Greinke to Atlanta for Minor, Pastronicky, Teaharan

6) Greinke to LAD for Lee and Eovaldi

7) One of Wolf/KROD to Atlanta for Pastronicky

These are the deals I'd focus on if I were Doug Melvin

Hi guys,

Just signed up here after a long hiatus since the site change. Time to start talking trades with you guys though...

Which of these deals do you think we'd have a shot at...

1) Marcum to Detroit for Castenallos

2) Greinke to Detroit for Turner and Castenallos

3) Greinke to Texas for Holland and Olt

4) Greinke to Texas for Feliz and Olt

5) Greinke to Atlanta for Minor, Pastronicky, Teaharan

6) One of Wolf/KROD to Atlanta for Pastronicky

These are the deals I'd focus on if I were Doug Melvin

Welcome back!

Assuming he can play adequate defense at SS, I'm warming to the idea of trading someone like K-Rod for Pastronicky because it would allow us to use Marcum, Greinke and possibly Hart for impact talent at other positions. Outside of Profar & Machado, I don't see any potential superstar SS that could be available, and hoping for Profar/Machado may be a pipe dream. Pastronicky is better than what we have, has a lot of team control left, and shouldn't cost too much, as Atlanta doesn't really have a spot for him.

If we could land Pastronicky for someone like K-Rod, then we could look at trades like your proposed Greinke to Texas for Olt and Holland or Feliz. However it works out, I'd like to end up with a starting SS and two SP from our "trade chips." Getting Pastronicky for a lesser chip would make this easier to accomplish.

If we landed an Olt or Castenallos, that could open up the possibility of trading Ramirez. With the Carlos Lee deal falling through, I'd bet we could get a fortune back from the Dodgers, who are trotting out Juan Uribe and his .538 OPS at 3B. They apparently were willing to part with Zach Lee & Garret Gould for Jed Lowrie, and since money seems to be no object for the current Dodger brass, I'd think Ramirez would bring back as much as Lowrie who is having a good year, but doesn't have the history of Ramirez.

So, I'd trade K-Rod or Wolf for Pastronicky who could be our SS for the foreseeable future. Then I'd trade Greinke to Texas for Olt who could be our 3B as soon as next year (Green can hold the fort until then) and Holland or Feliz who could become a fixture in our rotation. Then I'd shop Ramirez to the Dodgers, hoping to pick up a couple of their top pitching prospects. That would leave Marcum and Hart to bring back the best young players, regardless of position.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Disagree that Greinke is a better pitcher than Cain. Cain is much more consistent year to year, plus he's much more proven in the postseason. They are close, and Greinke might have better overall stuff, but so far in their careers, the results favor Cain

Greinke > Cain by a little in my view. Take Cain from the S.F. ballpark, and let him pitch home games in a tougher offensive division. His stats would regress a bit. Don't get me wrong, Cain is a horse, but he's benefited from pitching in that ballpark/division, while Greinke has spent the bulk of his career in the A.L.

Morosi of Fox said about a week ago Detroit would be in on Marcum if he gets healthy, so if you could get Castellanos (probably couldn't) that would be a great deal. Might make up for the Lawrie trade...

I also personally think that Greinke for Holland and Olt isn't that much of a reach. It's guaranteed less than Philly wants for Hamels and the Rangers really need a proven SP. It's more of a question of is Derek Holland truly healthy.

If you did both of those trades however, you'd have to figure out what you want to do with Olt and Castellanos, because one of them would have to move somewhere (if not both due to Ramirez).

The conundrum the Brewers have is that teams need to come up with something that is better than 2 high draft picks. So teams will have to pony up.

I don't know if it's realistic but if Texas offered Holland and Olt, I'd take it. That's the deal that allows the greatest possibility of remaining competitive in the short term with a fairly accomplished yet still young arm in Holland to replace Greinke, while still fortifying the future at what will be a position that opens up as soon as 2014. They have arms in the system for 2014 and beyond.

I doubt Texas will offer the combo though for 2 months of Greinke. They are already virtually assured of the postseason and have enough quality for the postseason.

I doubt Texas will offer the combo though for 2 months of Greinke.

This is going to be interesting. I really like that Philly is demanding 4-5 prospects for Hamels because they're setting the market high. Now Greinke may seem inexpensive if he "only" costs Holland and Olt.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

i think that texas, detroit, and baltimore might get into a bit of a bidding war for greinke or hamels and will give a bit more then everyone thinks. the o's are competitive for the first time in years. detroit have a must win attitude and some wins to make up to catch the white sox. the rangers need the title after getting so close the last couple years.

I think Greinke is going to be heading to Baltimore. The Orioles to me look to be the most aggressive team to be going after Greinke no sources I just have a feeling that they are going to get Greinke as they have what Melvin and Mark A. are looking for. Mainly the Orioles will have a SS in Schoop who is blocked by both Machado and Hardy and the Orioles also have an MLB ready starter in Matusz or Arrieta. Matusz makes more sense to be in a trade as he was just sent back down to AAA a few days ago. I believe the Orioles will get Greinke and will be a package based around Matusz and Schoop with a B- or C level prospect thrown into the trade.

Why would the Brewers want the Orioles third option at shortstop? If they want Greinke, they would need to give up Machado, who looks to be at least two years away anyways. If no one will give up a blue chip guy, just take the picks and use one of them for the best shortstop prospect available.

I think Greinke is going to be heading to Baltimore. The Orioles to me look to be the most aggressive team to be going after Greinke no sources I just have a feeling that they are going to get Greinke as they have what Melvin and Mark A. are looking for. Mainly the Orioles will have a SS in Schoop who is blocked by both Machado and Hardy and the Orioles also have an MLB ready starter in Matusz or Arrieta. Matusz makes more sense to be in a trade as he was just sent back down to AAA a few days ago. I believe the Orioles will get Greinke and will be a package based around Matusz and Schoop with a B- or C level prospect thrown into the trade.

I think, or at least hope, that the Brewers could get a little more than that. Matusz is nothing special, even though he's only 25 and Schoop has struggled above low A. Schoop has also been playing more 2B than SS and if he can't stick at SS, we already have a player like him with Gennett.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Community Moderator
Why would the Brewers want the Orioles third option at shortstop? If they want Greinke, they would need to give up Machado, who looks to be at least two years away anyways. If no one will give up a blue chip guy, just take the picks and use one of them for the best shortstop prospect available.

The Orioles third option at SS would immediately be the Brewers best minor league IF prospect. Schoop is only 20 years old, so his struggles at AA aren't all that surprising. The biggest concern might be that he outgrows SS/2B and gets moved to 3B permanently.

Any deal would have to include more than Schoop, but he shouldn't be written off just because the Orioles have one of the top two SS prospects in all of baseball ahead of him. The odds are against drafting an infielder in the late first round or supplemental round with Schoop's ceiling. Not to mention, drafting based on need in the first round of the MLB draft is not a very good practice.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have no good feeling about a Greinke trade. The percentage of trades that work out well for clubs getting the best player in the deal far outweighs the the prospects. Obviously it works out in some case, but it hasn't very often in MKE.

Sign Greinke!!!!

Archived