Brewer Fanatic

The Combined 'We're Trading Greinke' Thread (part 1)

Pastornicky would be a nice option to have for SS next season but no way is the centerpiece of a deal. Pastornicky and Teheran for Greinke and a low level low/mid ceiling prospect is what I'd look for if Atlanta came calling.

I agree. I'd just take him as an add-on in the deal. He'd at least be a pretty good option at SS for next year. Still not sure who will take that spot. Might be Gonzalez coming off a torn ACL if we can't trade for anyone.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets say you could take back Orodzzi and Escobar. That an adequate trade you'd make?

Not the Escobar that's hitting .290/.330 playing great D and the Odorizzi tearing it up in AAA, the caliber of players they were when we had them?

That's my dilemma. Do the Braves give up Simmons and Teheran a pitcher who the shine has come off quite a bit? Because I'm having trouble finding many SS's right now that are available on teams that are good enough that Grienke could put them over the top. Frankly the O's trading Machado would be like the Brewers trading Braun simply because we got off to a hot start making no mention of the fact that they're also in a division that it'd likely take Greinke and Hamels to win. So logically you should write them off.

Here are the best SS prospects and the teams they play on.

Texas Obviously. We've beaten this one to death. I think the Rangers are just simply not going to trade Profar. I just think he's too good.

Cincinnati Reds

Billy Hamilton? I think he's probably the 3rd best SS. Perfect fit...teams and positional strength...if this was 1992 and not 2012 and we were still in the AL, but do the Reds really want a guy who could steal 150 bases a year and hit .270/.340...and I don't know that he's a long term SS or not. That would play into it.

Zach Cozart? I have to admit, watching him range over behind second and go into the hole so effortlessly reminded me of Hardy this past weekend. He just looked like a SS who is going to be a GOOD SS for a long time, and Hardy spoiled us. Even when he struggled at his worst he was an asset and I think we now realize that. 9.1 WAR the two years before we had Escobar nipping at his heals and we sent him down. Even that year he had a 1.5 WAR and put up a line of .230/.300 with plus defense. Who the hell wouldn't jump at that right now?

Cozart is hitting about .250/.300/.401 thus far and has a 1.5 WAR. I really think he's a Hardy type player.

But again, the Reds aren't going to trade within the division and I really doubt they're going to trade their current starting SS that kinda brings their IF together and bump a Billy Hamilton up.

So very unlikely to the Reds.

But are you alright with getting just Hamilton for Greinke? I'm not. I'd want at least Daniel Corcino or their first rounder last year Robert Stephenson.

Minnesota-Miguel Sano? He's not a SS anymore and he's not even close to being on a team that's got a chance to win.

Cleveland-Francisco Lindor They're a team in contention and Greinke could certainly give them a big boost. Though I still think with Grienke the Tigers end up passing them up, and in the process they lose an elite young SS who at just 18 is performing well at A+ ball. But they're in it, and they have the one position we covet. And he's one of the best on this list.

Boston-Xander Bogaerts is a very good SS prospect and Boston is the exact type of team that needs Greinke. They're in a brutal division with possibly 5 teams that could win the NLC. But again, he alone? Jose Iglesias is a better defender, but has been brutal offensively in AAA. Either case we need something coming back. I'd want Daniel Bart at the very least. Still not loving that trade.

Atlanta-Another great fit.

Tyler Pastornicky is theguy with the lower ceiling. Andrelton Simmons is the real price out of the two. One has a chance to be a 2.5-3.0 WAR type offensive player while Simmons can be an electric defender and be a .300 hitter. I think he's a 4.5 WAR type player.

Beyond that, the Rays have a couple good SS, but seriously...what do they need Greinke for? If we're prying away a minor leaguer from them, it's for Corey Hart and it's going to have to include more than just him even. Maybe Kottaras+Hart+K-Rod+5-6 million for Hak-Ju Lee+a B- pitching prsopect? I don't know.

I think Atlanta and Boston are the two teams that NEED Greinke the most to get INTO the playoffs, Texas is desperate for a WS, and if they're desperate enough to give up Profar, turn off the lights because it's over, it's him. But I don't think it will be.

So I'm looking at Atlanta, THEN try and hope Baltimore or Cleveland to delude themselves into thinking they've got a legit playoff team and that they can actually win something, praying Texas is happy with Andrus and thinks that Greinke pushes what's already the best team in the game over the top and trades arguably the top prospect in the game of baseball because of the heartbreak of the last two years.

So we start with Texas IMO, move onto Baltimore, then onto Cleveland, all of whom are likely to say no, then we go to the Atlanta's, Boston's, and Cincinnati in that order. But with Taylor Green, Gamel, Gennett, a Slew of OF'ers, pretty good looking at catcher, I think we need to target a young SS who can project to be a star and make him the focus of the sell. Then just pitching, pitching, pitching.

We have some impact bats on this team that'll be around for a while. We should focus heavily on the DR/LA market and hope to be a 65 win team the next two years netting us top 5 picks, hopefully then we'll get a couple of our young pitchers up, shoot for 80-85 wins, build the farm system completely, no trades unless it's for other prospects and we could have a quick 5 year turnaround in which we've still got some great pieces and we're ready to compete.

That would include Braun, Lucroy, Thornburg and Weeks.

The rest should be on the market.

Gallardo for a kings ransom, but we will struggle most of his contract in Milwaukee.

Greinke-obviously

Hart-Good trade value

Kottaras-Great for a team that's lost it's starting pitcher

Marcum once eh's healthy again;

Axford once his value goes back up. This year if he can get on a hot streak.

K-Rod

Wolf-He's pitching better, if he can pick it up enough to dump him for a C+ prospect, do it.

Talk D'Vo into coming back pronto.

Veras-See what you can get from them.

Take the payroll down as far as possible, save them money for the future, start building up a reserve if need be in order to sign a couple FA's when the time comes or extend our studs.

See what you have in guys like Fiers, Estrada, Burgos, Peralta, Rogers next year in the rotation, as well as guys like Manzanillo, Wooten, Henderson, and just keep developing from within.

Don't sell a potential poor mans Pedroia for a rental because you're only 6 games back. If you get 2-3 games within, fine, but not until then.

This is a waving of the white flag, and it's premature, but the thing is, if Weeks gets going, Aram keeps hitting, Braun is Braun, Lucroy hits, Gomez keeps having good AB's(he's hit into a LOT of hard outs this year and simply looks different than before), Morgan continues his hot streak, Hart keeps it up, all of which should happen, we could easily get back into this in a 2 week period.

HiAndTight, there's a lot of info here - thanks. I agree, this is waving the white flag. Probably for at least 2012-13. But if we are going to surrender, i'd rather just clean house and get what we can for guys who won't be here.

Getting a good, young SS is on everyone's mind, but I think just getting the BEST talent is as important. Sure, if a SS is there, go for it. But other than catcher, I don't think there's any position we couldn't use in coming years.

I think you may have misunderstood me somewhere along the line. Not only do I believe that cleaning house is a viable option, I think it's the ONLY option if we want to be competitive by the time the last 5 years of Braun's contract kicks in(WS competitive).

And while you say you just want the best talent, I agree. But we HAVE GOT to get a good SS in the mid to upper levels of the system. If someone out there can tell me why in the hell we moved a guy in AA with great speed who draws walks and who as far as I KNOW wasn't a defensive hack or anything, and move him to the ONE position in the system we're absolutely FLUSH with 4th OF'er types. Aoki, Schafer, Morgan, Gomez, Gindl(can play CF), D'vo(still counting him), we just drafted a couple, one advanced, another playing in rookie ball, but then also Lee Haydel who keeps hitting and has GREAT speed.

If Lee Haydel was at SS, and could play SS, he'd be one of the most talked about prospects in our system. Just because he plays SS.

Its' like having a pitcher. You don't move a guy to the pen before he proves he can't start. Unless Prince has proven that and I just don't know it.

My only point in pointing out those Shortstops are those were the top ranked SS's on a list;

http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/ss

And those are the teams that have the best SS's and Greinke's OBVIOUSLY the guy most likely to yield a top 5-8 SS. And frankly I'd feel better about one in AA or just a stud near can't miss Latin American prospect if we're going younger, because if we go with a Low A type SS, even an elite one, how much of an upgrade are we getting over an Arcia type? Not trying to pump him up too much(though I really do like him), I'm simply saying that's too far away and too big a risk without ELITE superstar skills. Like a guy like Lindor. But he's a rare guy.

Which is why I just FLOATED the idea of trading Yovani Gallardo. If we're going to sell, lets REALLY sell and REALLY build for 2015. He's a guy who I believe is going to be a great #2 for the next 6-7+ years. So lets just say for arguments sake you could get Machado and Bundy for Gallardo and perhaps Hart? That a deal you'd do?

Bundy just to keep everyone up to date is currently sporting a 14 starts/58 IP 70K's 10 BB's 3.14 ERA, .665 Whip.

Machado is the clear #2 SS in the minors behind Profar is more than holding his own at 19 in AA. He's no Profar, but he's got 25 HR potential and is a very toolsy guy, and already posting a productive numbers at AA with a .760 OPS showing a little bit of power, he'll walk. I think he ends up as a .280/.360 25 HR.

I think something BOLD has to be done to get Braun his World Series. And again, it'll suck to watch the big leagues, but I'm 100 pct alright with a 65 win big league team as long as the minor leagues are producing a promising future.

I do NOT watch to watch a middling 76 win team that's void of impact prospects when we're already probably within 10 million dollars of maxing out our payroll(using next years figures, though I think IF WE WERE COMPETITIVE) we could hit 120 with the new incoming revenue from the added ticket prices, TV and radio deals adding 25+ million dollars.

Anyway, I tend to get off point. Yes, impact prospects anywhere. Players that can build the type of balanced farm system that we can use to get out of that purgatory that is drafting in the 12-18 range every year. They say there are only two good draft picks, 1st and last in the NFL. Well, it doesn't work exactly like that in baseball, but the idea is still the same.

Moreover, I'm worried that if we DON'T completely sell off right now and just completely purge this roster, Mark Attanasio is going to spend 115 million dollars next year doing something like spending 4 years and 60 million on Marcum and 4 years and 44 million on Edwin Jackson, or some bloated contract on to a JDLR...2 years ad 18 millioin or something.

As I said earlier, move Hart, Greinke, K-Rod, Ax, Kottaras, Marcum once he's back, Wolf if he can work out his funk as a salary dump.

Insert Fiers, Estrada and either Thornburg or Peralta full time. Or hell, what's it matter, McClung or Vargas for the rest of the year. I already think and wanted Maldonado to be our backup coming into the season, so that seems obvious. Veras if there is any interest....

With the additional playoff spot, this could be a great sellers market. I could potentially see the Brewers even getting a young B-/C+ type prospect for K-Rod if they paid his salary and they could get an awful lot for some of their other players.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I like the idea of acquiring Pastornicky, because he's a guy who could step in and play right away. Plus, he could easily be had in a trade at this point.

His own team doesn't want him, why should the Brewers? Nothing about his stats in the majors or the minors screams major leaguer.

Really? Please show me one statement anywhere that says his own team doesn't "want," him? If you're pointing out the fact that they sent him down to AAA because they had a better player, well then I guess the Braves didn't "want," Teheran, or Delgado or Beachy either, all pitchers who've been sent down.

He's 22 years old. The, "his own team doesn't want him," comment is absolutely ridiculous.

As for why he'd be a nice guy to trade for, well, we have absolutely NOTHING at SS, he's 22 years old and is coming off a year in which he hit .314/.359 in AA/AAA at age 21(posting an OPS in the mid 800's in about 30 games at AAA) and he plays good defense.

We have exactly WHAT right now? Mr. Izturis? Ransom? Who HIS own team actually didn't want, not just a case of a top prospect tearing it up and a young guy struggling.

Now....Marcum for him? No way. K-Rod with us picking up half his salary? Fine. We have nothing at SS, and he's a solid defender and should be at worst a league average offensive SS with very good speed. Ie, BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

As for the comment about all the love for him, I haven't seen a lot of love for him. I've seen him identified as a player we could and should target as the Braves have a better SS behind him making him available and right now we arguably have the worst SS in the league regardless of who's playing the position. In fact, the only way you could get worst at SS is if we traded Izturis to another team and he somehow got a start the same game Ransom did.

It's like trading for a swing man who you hope can give you a 5.00 ERA because you know your current pitchers have an ERA of 8.50.

I'd definitely put the Tigers near the top. They have a need on a team looking to win, and they have some good prospects.

The list though was teams who have good Shortstops to trade.

I was simply focussing on SS's.

But absolutely, the Tigers should be a part of discussions. Jacob Turner and Nick Castenellos might be a trade they make for a old billionaire owner just desperate to win and to win right now. Rick Porcello with the ability to get more K's and perhaps more GB's. Turner would be a great grab on his own, but a slugging 3rd basemen would also be nice. Just an impact bat really.

I think if you're making a list of teams that want and or NEED Greinke, the list would or should go something like;

1-Texas

Two straight losses, and they've got Darvish, and you(no pun intended) have no idea how he'll respond at the end of a season in the states, throwing in the cold as a rookie. Beyond him, do they really have an ace? Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, Yu Darvish, Derek Holland, and Neftali Feliz with Scott Feldman getting some starts and now Martin Perez who has an ERA over 5.00 in AAA starting for them? With the best bullpen in baseball, and the best lineup in the game with respect to the Yankees, this team NEEDS Greinke, Hamels or Shields. If I'm the Phills I'm holding off on selling, the Rays could trade Shields and with all their talent really not skip a beat as they've got a couple potential frontline guys in their friggin BP right now.

If they are willing to give up Profar, end of discussion, and I'm even more resolute in my argument that offering Axford along with Greinke is a legit trade for a talent like Profar. Of course their Bullpen is so good Axford may only be a mop up guy in that pen(seriously, that pen is amazing).

****By the way, they just made a perfect lineup on ESPN. I don't know who the writer was, but Elvis Andrus was the SS. And what's funny is they actually mention how this time next year he won't even be the best shortstop in his own clubhouse.

2-Detroit

Obviously the owner

3-Boston

Division, always in a go for it now mode. Just as the next team prospects are often overrated however.

4-NYY

He's pitched terribly at Yankee stadium. I wonder if they'd prefer to try and pry Hamels away.

5-LAD

They're winning and after the misery the recent marital discourse has put this fanbase through and the momentum they have, they should be lining up for Greinke. Imagine Kershaw/Greinke/Bills/Cappy how he's pitching? I just wish they had more talent because they also have a big need for a guy like Hart. It'd be nice if they had the Orioles or the Rangers farm systems.

6-Baltimore

Somehow they're atop(or near) the division in the AL East. They've got an idiot for an owner and they shouldn't be trading Machado or Bundy for Greinke, but it's worth a try.

7-Atlanta

Would they give up Simmons? They seem to be like the Yankees or Red Sox with prospects, but especially with pitching prospects. I think their big three of Teheran, Delgado and Arodys are all overrated. Very good, but slightly overrated. They've have to give up Simmons and one of those three arms though IMO. Well, maybe not one of those three, but another GOOD prospect. They DO have a good enough lineup that they could go with Pastronicky at SS and still have enough offense to win, especially with Greinke heading a rotation with Hanson, Beachy and Hudson. They can't be counting on Beachy to continue with his 2.00 ERA and sub 1.00 Whip or they'll end up disappointed just like last year with Juir. However Hanson as a #2, Beachy a #3 and or Hudson as their #3 with that lineup could get them deep in the playoffs.

8-FloridaMiami Marlins

They're apparently looking to make a big move at the deadline and Jose Fernandez is blowing away the competition thus far and has 11.2 K's per 9 and throws in the upper 90's. They have some holes in their lineup and BP.

Greinke+Axford for Fernandez+Marcell Ozuna would be a great haul.

9-Cincy

They would be a LOT higher on this list if they were in the AL. They have a SS in Billy Hamilton who looks like he could be a .270/.340 type SS who could steals 150 bags in a season. Best base stealer in the minors and he's producing exceptionally well. And it makes the Reds the favorites to win the NL IMO with Latos and Cueto following him up. I wouldn't trade him for JUST Hamilton though. Not enough of a sure thing.

10-Cleveland

Bad division, they're .500, they have exactly what we want. They trade for Greinke and they likely overtake the White Sox(while the Tigers pass up both).

11-Toronto

See Baltimore and they have a smart GM. But if they want to do Lawrie for Greinke, we'll even give 'em Marcum back as well! I can't imagine the Blue Jays having made all the ridiculously shrewd moves they've made in the last year and a half to give it up for 2 months of Greinke when they still are probably not better than Tampa or NYY. They'd be better served to try and sign him in the off-season, bring up their superstar Catching prospect.

Of course even after recent trades for Lawrie, Rasmus, Bautista, some great drafts, they've still got I think it was 11 B+ prospects and another 6 B- prospects according to Sickels. So they have the talent. Mostly on the mound.

12-Arizona

Finally the D-backs. But while they'll likely be losing Drew soon and he hasn't given them anything, Bauer is untouchable, Bradley is likely as well and Skaggs is ahead of Bradley.

If they've give up ANY of those 3 for Greinke and Axford I'd do it, but it'd make no sense for them to do so.

13-Pitt is the same as AZ. Great trio of pitchers, but they're also in Baltimore, Cleveland territory. Better off waiting and just seeing how their young guys develop than to take a chance on a team that isn't playoff quality now. That staff is still ugly even with Greinke, despite their results which like last year will once again come crashing back to Earth in short order.

So long as Teheran isnt Jose Capellan 2.0

I'm not sure where to go with this post? You realize we gave them Dan Kolb first of all, and second....there is absolutely no relation between the two, not to mention, so long as he isn't bad? I'm guessing the Brewers are thinking the same thing right now. So long as our guy isn't actually bad and is a good player, then I'd be willing to trade for him. Kinda hingsight thingy. Hard to foresee that before you make the trade.

Pastornicky is not an answer at shortstop. He's a utility guy that can be used as a stopgap until a solution is found (like he was at the beginning of this season). He's an average to above average fielder (not very many physical gifts, but good instincts) with a mediocre arm. He just screams Willie Bloomquist to me. There's a place for guys like that in the league (and on the Brewers), but that's not the piece I'd be looking for by trading Marcum, Hart, or especially Greinke.

The Braves are still a good trading partner, and from the talk around here it sounds like they're open to discussing Teheran in a Greinke deal. I know we're all focused on shortstops (for good reason), but if the plan is to maximize talent in the return it's hard to do much better than Teheran.

I completely agree on Pastornicky, he's setting the bar awfully low.

I guess I might be in the minority but I'd rather get pitching for Greinke than a SS. I worry though what type of pitching Melvin might look to acquire so I'd be fine with an impact bat.[/quote

And why do you worry about the type of pitching he'd be looking to acquire, but not position player?

I think their organizational philosophy of acquiring pitchers as of late has been pretty good. Big, durable, flame throwers. Like Jimmy Nelson. Of course it's not like Melvin has made those picks, he's simply changed the type of pitcher we go after.

I suspect the point of this post was entirely to take a shot at Melvin and little else because he hasn't followed your easy blueprint of winning 96 games while producing an elite farm system churning out talent left and right.

Beachy is having Tommy John and is out the rest of this season and at least half of next season. That's all the more reason Atlanta could be itching to trade for impact starting pitching.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Braves will not trade Simmons. He's their starting SS for their playoff run (and foreseeable future), there's no reason for them to fill a hole while creating another one. And even though they have Pastornicky in AAA it IS creating another hole, because Pastornicky was absolutely terrible this season. It's not that they don't want him, they just don't want him to be their starting SS this season. He looked nowhere near ready to handle MLB pitching (and his AAA line was a fluke last season driven by a .400 BABIP) and his defense was terrible. And that's from me watching games, not looking at a 40 game UZR sample. He is not very athletic and has a weak arm and didn't show whatever instincts he has (from scouting reports, which I do trust....not trying to be condescending) to make him an average fielder. Plain and simple, he is not ready for the majors and the braves aren't going to make a move where he has to be put back in there. So no Simmons, any deal with the Braves will have to be centered around one of their pitchers.

If someone out there can tell me why in the hell we moved a guy in AA with great speed who draws walks and who as far as I KNOW wasn't a defensive hack or anything, and move him to the ONE position in the system we're absolutely FLUSH with 4th OF'er types.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Prince started at SS for Huntsville last night. BB-ref.com has it as his second game at SS on the '12 season, but I'm not sure if it was or wasn't his first start at the position so far this season.

I agree (& so do many others, who've discussed it in the MiLB forum... you included :)) that it's weird to see him all of a sudden playing everyday at CF. It's hard to not think that move came from defensive struggles at SS, but like you alluded to, any potential struggles on D would quite literally be news to BF.net.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There may be a little underestimating of the trade chips the Dodgers have. I agree 100% that if you just evaluate the talent/performance of the players, and totally disregard the needs of the trading partner, then the Dodgers are lacking trade chips. But there is a decent enough chance that Melvin will over-value the Dodger talent because it's exactly what he will be looking for if/when he makes a Greinke deal.

I don't think Melvin will prioritize the shortstop position in a Greinke deal. I think the first thing he wants back is a major league starting pitcher. The Brewer's 2013 rotation outlook is very bleak and it's pretty likely that Melvin would prefer to add at lease one piece in mid-season trades and not wait until the off-season. A young, cheap, controllable pitcher like Eovaldi is likely to be a perfect fit as to what Melvin is looking for. Personally I have my doubts on Eovaldi. He's not been that effective away from Dodger stadium this season and I'm still not 100% sold that he's a major league starting pitcher (he might be a reliever long-term)...but on the flip side you can look at Eovaldi's arm, age and upside potential and be sold on that.

The Dodgers also have numerous bullpen pieces and one of them would be an immediate help to the Brewers. I'm assuming that Jansen and Guerra would be near untouchable (about as untouchable as a reliever would get) and the Dodgers would be reluctant to deal Elbert since he is their bullpen lefty. But a guy like Josh Lindblom could be attractive to Melvin. Again there are areas of extreme concern with Lindblom...mostly the 5 home runs he's allowed in 17 road innings this year....but overall he's a 25-year old that has posted a 3.22 ERA and 1.10 WHIP in the majors this year. It wouldn't be a shock to see Melvin over-value a player like him considering the needs in the Brewer bullpen. Lindblom has been effective so far this year, he's cheap and would be controlled through 2017.

The Brewers have shown a fairly extreme "win-now" approach over the last few years and I don't necessarily see that changing now even if the Brewers start trading off pieces. If Greinke is dealt I believe the primary intent will be to get pieces back that can most help the club in 2013, and that would mainly involve pitching. Remember what Melvin got in return for Carlos Lee, not prospects but rather a outfielder to patch the spot vacated by Lee, a reliever to fix the Derrick Turnbow problem and another outfielder that already had the "AAAA" look going for him. Based on the 2013 outlook and the Brewer's strong "win now" approach of the last few years, I believe there is a strong possibility the Brewers will take a similar approach when dealing Greinke as they did with the Lee deal a few years back. BTW, that is not the approach I would take, but it's the way I think the Brewers would lean. Also, not suggesting a straight Greinke for Eovaldi + Lindblom deal...but add a couple minor pieces and I could see something pretty similar to that happening. I just hope if Melvin deals for Dodger pitching he takes into account the impact of Dodger Stadium, because if you look at the Eovaldi/Lindblom splits both guys have been far more effective at home (and it isn't even close).

The Braves? What does Melvin think of Mike Minor and/or Jair Jurrjens? I don't think the Braves would be ready to part with Teheran or Delgado. I don't think Melvin would count on Mike Minor to lock down a 2013 rotation spot based on the 6+ ERA he's posted so far this season. Jurrjens is back in the majors (actually has pitched well his last two times out) but the injury history is probably too much of a concern. If I'm right and Melvin's main priority to to get back starters that are a good bet to help the major league club in 2013, then I don't see the Braves as being a good trade partner unless they surprise me and are willing to deal Delgado.

The Dodgers are reportedly making a push to acquire Carlos Lee per MLB Trade Rumors. If they do indeed give up Zach Lee and Garrett Gould for him, then my expectation on the trade values of Corey Hart and Zack Greinke is rising.

If the Dodgers do that then they are crazy. Lee's .290/.342/.412/.754 line isn't even worth the (roughly) 9 million dollars he's still owed through the rest of this season. Even if the Astros pick up 100% of that money it's still a crazy trade for the Dodgers if Zach Lee is involved.

The Braves? What does Melvin think of Mike Minor and/or Jair Jurrjens? I don't think the Braves would be ready to part with Teheran or Delgado.

If this is the type of return they're looking at, the Brewers really shouldn't trade Greinke. Minor or Jurrjens shouldn't have more value than the picks the Brewers would get for Greinke.

I refuse to believe they won't find one team to pay a good price. The Dodgers gave up Carlos Santana for Casey Blake. The Indians gave up all that for Ubaldo Jiminez. Texas got a top 100 guy for Mike Adams. The Giants gave up Zack Wheeler for three months of Carlos Beltran when they knew they wouldn't get any comp picks for him.

They should be able to get at least one truly impact prospect who is within two years of MLB. If not, there's no reason to trade Greinke.

I'd have no interest in Minor and Jurrjens is probably going to be non-tendered this off season. From watching him, I'm not much of a fan of Delgado either. No thanks unless Teheran is involved, and even he's been fairly unimpressive this season.

•The Brewers remain more likely to sell than not, but they would still like to return to contention quickly. They could ask for big league pitching instead of prospects for Zack Greinke

Ugh

•The Brewers remain more likely to sell than not, but they would still like to return to contention quickly. They could ask for big league pitching instead of prospects for Zack Greinke

Ugh

Yep. This fits Melvin's MO. JosephC's comment above is pretty on point. I could absolutely see Melvin making deadline moves with an eye towards next year's rotation. If by big league pitching we're talking about a promising youngster like Randall Delgado, that's probably a good return. If we're talking about pitchers with lower ceilings and/or less years of cost control ... sigh.

If it's a deal with Texas, and something like Derek Holland and a few prospects for Greinke then I'm ok with that. Pick up a young starter who can step right in and is under control for quite a few years, and also get some prospects back. That's the kind of deal I could see Melvin doing.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I saw that the Dodgers are going after Carlos Lee. Wouldnt it be smart (if we are selling) to package Greinke and Hart to them for some top tier prospects? I mean Hart is WAY better than Lee at first and he's about the same hitter but more athletic and doesnt get hurt much and Greinke is a top tier pitcher. We should be able to get a ton back if we packaged them together. I like Hart a lot, would miss him, but it's possible to rake in a trade for those two together.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Might be harder to shop Greinke now that he isn't an All-Star.

That is rediculous that he didn't make it. Lance Lynn has been great but he doesn't deserve it over greinke. I don't think strasburg does either for that matter

MLBtraderumors says the Phillies are asking for 4 or 5 prospects for Hamels. They also say Texas has scouted Greinke and Hamels, but someone told Gammons that they weren't going to be in on Greinke. Toronto is heavily scouting Wandy Rodriguez. I hope Melvin moves soon, as some of the big suitors may find other options.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived