Brewer Fanatic

Trade deadline concern...

I understand the angst with potentially losing Greinke...so potentially trading him makes some sense.

However I am concerned that some want to trade other assets that remain in our control and are performing...Like ARam.

This team should not be looking to rebuild, but rather reload. It has been a difficult year in terms of Injuries, but the team has enough pieces to compete this year and in the future. Therefore, I would be fine with letting the Greinke thing play out. If a team is willing to give us Major league ready talent at SS and a Pitcher...then I consider it. Otherwise let Grienke go to FA and try like heck to sign him. Losing KRod, Wolf, and Marcum off the salary should provide room to sign him or another pitcher in FA.

I just don't think it makes sense to trade Grienke for prospects that are questionable or 2+ years from the Majors. Wolf and KRod I would. Marcum...I might...depends what type of FA he will be.

The kicker here is that Greinke is likely the only one that has any meaningful value at this point (and that includes Marcum), yet he is the one that they need to try to keep. You may find takers for Ramirez, K-Rod, Wolf, etc., but what you get for them will be secondary to salary relief (with the possible exception of Ramirez, where you may get a prospect of some value). I know what some people are thinking... look into trading Hart, Weeks, etc. In that case, you are not reloading, you are rebuilding.

It all depends on what they plan on doing with the money they save. I don't have a problem with them moving guys who are under-performing big contracts (Weeks) or who aren't likely to produce at levels in the future that match their deals (Ramirez), if they plan on using that money on something of real value. With Braun in his prime and Lucroy just about entering his, I can't see Attanasio agreeing to a complete rebuild. I have a suspicion they'll spend some money this offseason.

Verified Member
I'm in favor if trading A-Ram because I think the Brewers can fill 3B from within (i.e. Taylor Green), whereas there are huge black holes at SS, SP, in the bullpen, and potentially at 1B (though Aoki in RF/Hart in 1B seems solid to me). The Brewers can use that money better in 2013 rather than spending it on an aging 3B, even if his production is adequate.

If the Brewers do this right they will be fine. If, for instance, they trade ARam and get a package involving Zach Lee or Evoldi back and then trade Greinke to Texas for a package centered around Mike Olt or to Texas for a package centered around Nick Castellanos they'll have their third basemen. Olt may be ready next season, Castellanos maybe the year after that. But the Brewers can always throw Taylor Green or Mat Gamel at third base in 2013. If you can rid yourself of the ARam contract you do it. I see very little chance they compete in 2013 because they are probably going to have to rely on three young pitchers (Fiers, Thornburg, Peralta, etc) so they may as well save some money and build towards 2014.

Come on....the Dodgers aren't going to give up Evoldi for AR. No chance of that happening. They would view taking on the money and as the major part of the compensation.

Fans are just so unrealistic in the value of home team players.

ps. Gamel can't play 3rd....he is worse then Braun over there

Ha I enjoyed the condescending response but as TLB pointed out Gamel is not nearly as bad at third as Braun was. If Miguel Cabrera can hold down third base I think Gamel could handle it for a year. Nobody is suggesting he'd be a gold glove caliber player and he wouldn't even be the first choice (that would be Green. His name was also mentioned) but it's not unthinkable. It would be emergency duty because it would probably mean Taylor Green is hurt and there is nobody else to put there.

They would view taking on the money and as the major part of the compensation.

So when it is mentioned the Dodgers have interest the AR, you think that interest is them approaching us and saying "Hey we'll do you a favor by taking Aramis Ramirez and his contract off your hands but we aren't going to give you anything significant in return"? In other words, you think the Dodger's interest would include them insulting Melvin? I find it almost implausible that Melvin is calling other teams about taking Ramirez so if the Dodgers are interested then one can assume they plan on offering something significant in return. And by something I don't mean taking his contract. This isn't like the Mets/KRod situation.

Come on....the Dodgers aren't going to give up Evoldi for AR. No chance of that happening. They would view taking on the money and as the major part of the compensation.

Fans are just so unrealistic in the value of home team players.

I am not a big Eovaldi fan and I am guessing that the Dodgers are high on him as I haven't seen him in any trade talks. Lee and Gould have been in talks for Carlos Lee or Jed Lowrie from the Astros. I believe the rumored trade for Jed Lowrie was Lee and Gould from the Dodgers and I believe it was just Gould or Lee for Carlos Lee. A player that I really like in the Dodgers organization is Allen Webster.

If the Brewers could get Webster and Pederson/Gould it would be a rather good trade for the Brewers.

From perfectgame: http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=6557

The Dodgers top prospect list is full of examples of unheralded draft choices who have really developed as professionals (Nate Eovaldi, Shawn Tolleson, Joc Pederson, Gorman Erickson), but there is no example of excellent scouting/player development than Webster. The Dodgers took him as an unknown North Carolina high school shortstop in the 18th round in 2008 and signed him for $20,000, then converted him to a pitcher and let him learn in rookie ball for two years.

Webster has a complete package of pitches, any one of which can be a plus big league offering in any particular start. He pitches in the 92-94 mph range with great sinking life at times and gets the same type of life on his low 80s change up. He throws both a curveball and a slider as well.

The Dodgers have no lack of starting pitching at either the big league level or in the upper minors, so they can afford to still be patient with Webster, who still has less than 400 innings of experience on his arm, but his time should come soon.

In regard to the first post, I fail to see how the team has a realistic playoff shot without Greinke next year. They won't be able to add another pitcher of his ability next season; they don't have the prospects to keep doing those trades.

The rotation is not intimidating. Gallardo, Fiers, Thornburg... Peralta? Narveson? Estrada? Rogers? Even if they re-sign Marcum or a solid starter like that, that's an average rotation.

In regard to the first post, I fail to see how the team has a realistic playoff shot without Greinke next year. They won't be able to add another pitcher of his ability next season; they don't have the prospects to keep doing those trades.

The rotation is not intimidating. Gallardo, Fiers, Thornburg... Peralta? Narveson? Estrada? Rogers? Even if they re-sign Marcum or a solid starter like that, that's an average rotation.

That is exactly my issue as well. If we are willing to offer 5/100 now...I would hope we would be willing to go a little higher later.

I say keep him and see what can happen. I hate being sellers unless we are old...we are not...say the course.

Verified Member

The Brewers currently have the third best offense in the NL, and that will be mostly intact next season (even better if they can upgrade at SS).

So it's not like the pitching has been incredible this season and there will be a huge drop-off next year even without Greinke/Marcum. If they can jettison Randy Wolf and fix the bullpen, an average rotation plus the Brewers offense is still competitive.

The Brewers currently have the third best offense in the NL

If you go by OPS+, which is park-adjusted, they are just barely over lg-avg... which matches up fairly well with 'the eye test' imho. This is not a special offense, as much as I wish it were. It's Ryan Braun, Ramirez & Hart, and a bunch of dudes.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member
The Brewers currently have the third best offense in the NL

If you go by OPS+, which is park-adjusted, they are just barely over lg-avg... which matches up fairly well with 'the eye test' imho. This is not a special offense, as much as I wish it were. It's Ryan Braun, Ramirez & Hart, and a bunch of dudes.

They are second in the NL by RC+ (also park adjusted, but a more advanced stat, imo). Braun, Ramirez, Hart, second-best at C in the NL, Aoki performing very well, all with Weeks severely underperforming his true talent level. It is a very good offense.

I don't agree on "very good" -- "above average" is the highest I'd be willing to go, in the subjective-labels dept. If Lucroy has transformed into a .900+ OPS hitter for good, then I might be willing to change my stance... but I'm not holding my breath there.

This is an offense that routinely runs out Braun/Hart/Ramirez & then 5 other subpar (this season or otherwise) hitters [EDIT: you make a solid point on Aoki... maybe drop my 'subpar' claim to 4 guys]. That's not what "very good" offenses are made of. The Yankees have a "very good" offense. The Brewers are simply better than most other NL offenses.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived