Brewer Fanatic

Deadline to Sign This Year's Draft Picks -- Friday 7/13 4:00 PM Central

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Below is the list of the 12 unsigned Brewers draft picks as of Thursday the 12th. Under the new CBA, the deadline to sign these players is Friday July 13th at 4:00 PM Central.

For several of these players (Adkins, McCoy, Duffie, Burns), we had previously linked on our forums to stories indicating that the players were unlikely, or even definitely, not signing with Milwaukee. It doesn't appear there is enough over-slot money left in the Brewers' pool to entice Buck Farmer away from another year with the Yellow Jackets, and a potentially much higher draft position in 2013.

One name to watch is 32nd round pick RHP Nick Anderson out of Mayville (North Dakota) State. In earlier linked stories (here and here), it seemed like Anderson's signing was a slam dunk, particularly because he's out of college eligibility (the only player on this list in that situation).

Anderson's college pitching coach indicated to me a couple of weeks back that Nick was in Milwaukee for his physical, and I'm not aware of any issues coming out of that. The coach indicated when I followed up that he was surprised about the attention I was giving a 32nd round pick, but hey, Mike Fiers was a 22nd round pick, right? Another Anderson, Drew, the former Brewer who scouted Nick Anderson, was very cordial in an email to me (which I appreciated), but indicated that he really couldn't add to the discussion but that negotiations were ongoing.

Since that would normally be an approximate $1,000-$5,000 "hey, where do I sign" bonus, not sure what the mystery is, but we'll respect all the parties involved and see what happens.

15. Buck Farmer, RHP, Georgia Tech

18. Hunter Adkins, RHP, Middle Tennessee State

19. Carlos Garmendia, 3B, Monsignor Edward Pace (FL) High School

26. Mark McCoy, LHP, Barnegat (NJ) High School

27. Tyler Duffie, RHP, TCU

29. Bryan Saucedo, 1B, Malvern Collegiate Institute (ON)

32. Nick Anderson, RHP, Mayville (N.D.) State University

34. Tommy Burns, RHP, Don Bosco Prep (NJ) High School

36. Alex Mangano, C, Southwest Miami (FL) High School

38. Chris Shaw, C, Holy Trinity Academy (AB)

39. Derek Jones, CF, St. Marguerite d'Youville (ON) Secondary School

40. Chucky Vazquez, C, American Senior (FL) High School

Anderson could just wait until after the deadline and sign with a team of his choice - maybe that's more valuable to him than a few grand?

I believe that as a college senior, the 7/13 deadline does not apply to Anderson; the Brewers would instead control his rights until next year's draft.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As I was told would happen two weeks ago (but didn't mention here, was waiting to see), Brewers 32nd round RHP Nick Anderson has signed with the independent Frontier League's Rockford (IL) Rivercats.

Kind of an odd situation, the Brewers can monitor Anderson's work, and always offer him an affiliated deal, although we don't believe they retain his exclusive MiLB rights.

Jim Callis on Friday:

Preston Tucker (Astros, seventh round): Has not signed. But because he's a college senior with no eligibility, the deadline doesn't apply to him. Houston still expects to sign him later this month.
Seems to be the same situation Anderson is in, yes? Previously, I know the same applied to Josh Fields in 2008.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nick Anderson made his professional debut last night in Rockford, and we'll blame it on the layoff, but he walked more batters consecutively in one inning (three) than the total number of walks he issued in 33 innings throughout his senior season.

The first link is video of his stint (includes bonus Denny McClain footage) and the second link is the local newspaper game story. Third link is 2012 college stats.

We won't be linking to each outing, but we'll peek in every few weeks and jump in with any notes of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived